Wild Camping.............because you can? (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We live in Scotland and the idea of wild camping is second nature to us (although so far in tents or back of the car....lol). This set me thinking.........if you live in England do you consider wild camping an odd thing to do?

Do people use sites/cl's etc because they have to? Up here in Gods Country wild camping is a given right (as long as you are respectful and considerate).

For us, camped up overnight up in the hills or on a beach in the Hebrides is what it's all about.

:Smile::Smile:::bigsmile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We do some wild camping and some wild parking:Smile:

Proper WILDerness camping is fantastic, but then an empty seaside carpark in Winter can be just as nice.::bigsmile:

I wrote an article a little while ago a Broken Link Removed have a read:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have wild parked all of my life, couldn't call it camping, but all over the UK and Europe. To me its second nature. Though I do appreciate others don't feel safe or for some reason think they shouldn't.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I have read that Jim, a very interesting article indeed :thumb: You make a good case for wild camping :Smile:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
P.S

As an Englishman who lived in Wales for 10 years I do also consider Wales another one of Gods green and pleasant lands :winky:

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
We have yet to try wild camping but are gonna give it a go when we visit Wales this year:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Have you learnt the language yet Jim :Smile:

80% of the people in my house are totally fluent Welsh. I'm the 20% I don't speak a word. :Blush: I'm in good company though because they reckon 80% of the Welsh don't speak it either. But where we live I'd say 90% speak Welsh first.

Reading something last year that says Wales loses 3000 Welsh speakers a year, which is a shame. Officially the country is bilingual.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Up here in Gods Country wild camping is a given right (as long as you are respectful and considerate).

Just to clarify..

The Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003, more commonly known as the Right to Roam Act, does not include the right to camp in caravans, motor caravans or indeed any motorised vehicle..

Conduct excluded from access rights ref. Section 9 (f)
being on or crossing land in or with a motorised vehicle or vessel
In some areas, notably Loch Lomond, it has been so badly abused by inconsiderate campers it has now been made illegal.. many now think the Act was ill thought out.

In Scotland, the laws on parking and sleeping in a caravan or motor caravan are exactly the same as in the rest of the UK... ie , provided you are parked legally and there are no prohibition TROs in force, there is nothing to stop you .

Camping, (as opposed to parking), is only legal in Scotland if the land owner has given permission and they have planning permission, ie a camp site or a 5 van site with an exception certificate.

Scotland is a wonderful country for responsible motor caravanning, there are thousands of 'wild spots' where you can enjoy an overnight stop, but please don't spoil it for others by 'camping' for days on end or ignoring "No Overnight Parking" signs.

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
80% of the people in my house are totally fluent Welsh. I'm the 20% I don't speak a word. :Blush: I'm in good company though because they reckon 80% of the Welsh don't speak it either. But where we live I'd say 90% speak Welsh first.

Reading something last year that says Wales loses 3000 Welsh speakers a year, which is a shame. Officially the country is bilingual.

Sad but true. There are pockets of Wales where Welsh is the first language but elsewhere it isn't spoken at all.

I came from South Pembrokeshire where no Welsh was spoken and yet in North Pembrokeshire Welsh is widely spoken. When we got together for joint rugby teams the lineout calls were often interesting::bigsmile:

I have now lived in England for 10 years longer than I lived in Wales.:Eeek:

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
......or ignoring "No Overnight Parking" signs.

Those familar "No overnight parking" signs in Scotland had no legal standing. Whilst often they were sited,sensibly, on roadside P's they were often found in places such as large off-road parking areas, lay-bys etc. where there was no logical reason why they should be there at all. I think it was only 2011/2012 that the Highland Council issued an order that they all be removed. Within a few weeks they started to disappear, so there are very few, if any, to be seen now.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
In Scotland, the laws on parking and sleeping in a caravan or motor caravan are exactly the same as in the rest of the UK... ie , provided you are parked legally and there are no prohibition TROs in force, there is nothing to stop you .

Scotland is a wonderful country for responsible motor caravanning, there are thousands of 'wild spots' where you can enjoy an overnight stop, but please don't spoil it for others by 'camping' for days on end or ignoring "No Overnight Parking" signs.

You are right of course, however in Scotland there are many places where can night stop without over zealous 'nimbys' going out of their way to stop you :Smile:

The 'No overnight parking' signs have been illegally placed for many years and are now being removed.

Common sense and respect still applies but I think there is less of that in England perhaps :RollEyes:

It is also (of course) a case of much (MUCH) less population density up here so there will always be less people to get excited about it :winky:

Last edited by a moderator:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
if you live in England do you consider wild camping an odd thing to do?

I don't consider it odd at all. My van has everything I need on board so I'm not reliant on sites. I park considerately when I wild camp and cause no problems - have been left in peace so far. :Smile:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Sad but true. There are pockets of Wales where Welsh is the first language but elsewhere it isn't spoken at all.

I came from South Pembrokeshire where no Welsh was spoken and yet in North Pembrokeshire Welsh is widely spoken. When we got together for joint rugby teams the lineout calls were often interesting::bigsmile:

[HI]I have now lived in England for 10 years longer than I lived in Wales[/HI].:Eeek:

That's acceptable Chris. You're a missionary.:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back