Case for the accused ! (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
After being out in the MH, SWMBO and myself were making our way home on some fairly country type roads, when, about 20 miles from home it sneaked up on us. The smell.
Of course she looked at me straight away with that look on her face that only women can do.
Without waiting for a comment I said that if that was me I would need hospital treatment, so it must be her. That look came back on her face.
We decided that it was a farming area, so that was where it had come from.
About 8 miles from home we could stand it no longer and stopped while we examined the soles of each others shoes, for evidence of "dog". Nothing found.
The smell got quite overwhelming, and on our arrival at home I jumped out to go and open the drive gates. The smell was appaling.
One of our neighbours was passing and gave me a very "old fashioned" look. I quickly pointed out that it wasn't me and we were both baffled as to it's origin.
Then the penny dropped. On our country road travels we had run through some slurry (liquid manure) that a farmer had seen fit to leave on the road. This had splattered up from the front wheels and landed on the exhaust, which runs across the Fiat base chassis. The hotter it got the more it smelled.
Even after being parked for two days the hab area was a "no go" nose area.
So I had no choice other than to get underneath with a brush, cleaner and hosepipe and sort it out.

I will be ordering front mud flaps from Johns Cross today.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
After being out in the MH, SWMBO and myself were making our way home on some fairly country type roads, when, about 20 miles from home it sneaked up on us. The smell.
Of course she looked at me straight away with that look on her face that only women can do.
Without waiting for a comment I said that if that was me I would need hospital treatment, [HI][HI][HI]so it must be her[/HI][/HI][/HI]. That look came back on her face.
About 8 miles from home we could stand it no longer and stopped while we examined the soles of each others shoes, for evidence of "dog". Nothing found.
The smell got quite overwhelming, and on our arrival at home I jumped out to go and open the drive gates. The smell was appaling.
One of our neighbours was passing and gave me a very "old fashioned" look. I quickly pointed out that it wasn't me and we were both baffled as to it's origin.
Then the penny dropped. On our country road travels we had run through some slurry (liquid manure) that a farmer had seen fit to leave on the road. This had splattered up from the front wheels and landed on the exhaust, which runs across the Fiat base chassis. The hotter it got the more it smelled.
So I had no choice other than to get underneath with a brush, cleaner and hosepipe and sort it out.

It Must Be Her.........For Goodness sake man, women don't do that........

.....You are one very brave fellah, you are my Hero........:winky:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Many years ago we had a coach operator come into the garage complaining he couldn't use his bus because of the smell inside and customers complaining, after two hours of nose holding and investigation........we found a decomposing rabbit wraped around the telma.......this is an electo magnet around the prop shaft which when engaged slows the bus down........it also generates heat and was cooking a decomposing rabbit :RollEyes: :Eeek:

All the best Rick

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Now imagine if you was on a motorbike ...

Bloody arrogant ignorant farmers who never clear up their mess :Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins

Trouble is John you wouldn't be on a motorbike, you'd be sliding down the road on your ass :Angry: :RollEyes: this is one of the things I teach new drivers about not depositing mud on the road :thumb: you would be shocked how many people don't give it a thought, but I guess they never rode a motorcycle

All the best Rick

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp

I am often on my bike in that area and it doesn't bear thinking about.

Have to be careful what I say though.
SWMBOs family were farmers, tidy ones though, and I can say that they never made a mess on the roads.
Where they farmed there weren't any. Only the lane leading up to their farm on the North Yorks Moors, and they owned it.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
duplicate post

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have known many farmers in my time, but must admit have never known one with a motorbike.

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Have known many farmers in my time, but must admit have never known one with a motorbike.

Flippin' 'eck, you must have led a sheltered life.
Even my father-in-law used to ride a m/bike and sidecar back in the "good old" days.
Half of the old style scrambles and trials riders were farmers.
they had the land to practice on :thumb:

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Mud on roads

I dont know what part of the country you are but here in Lincolnshire most of our farmers seem to get paid for what they term as set aside,
In other words not to work the land !
may be it helps keep ones Range Rover clean ?

S&D

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I dont know what part of the country you are but here in Lincolnshire most of our farmers seem to get paid for what they term as set aside,

S&D

It's only the Itinerants who can afford Range Rovers round here.

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
"I dont know what part of the country you are but here in Lincolnshire most of our farmers seem to get paid for what they term as set aside,

S&D"

Just so you know -

Set-aside is a term for land that farmers are not allowed to use for any agricultural purpose. It was introduced by the EEC in 1992 as part of a package of reforms of the Common Agricultural Policy to prevent over production. It applies only to farmers growing crops.

More information here - Broken Link Removed

Gill

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

S&D

Norfolk / Suffolk border.. And it is not only small side roads that get the dung cart treatment but some of the main roads too..

Several years ago I had to REPLACE a £700 eom set of down pipes because they were completely ruined by the crap a local farmer had left behind :Doh:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
years ago had an old two stroke Yamaha 250 heading down the road at around 70 mph :winky: and suddenly got a face full of feathers, a pigeon had flown straight through my front wheel minced itself and was cooking on the cylinder head jesus what a bloody mess that was, I don't think I ever got rid of it all.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Mud on roads

Norfolk / Suffolk border.. And it is not only small side roads that get the dung cart treatment but some of the main roads too..

Several years ago I had to REPLACE a £700 eom set of down pipes because they were completely ruined by the crap a local farmer had left behind :Doh:

Try the E U they may pay for you not to drive on the roads or is it selective compensation to the few.

Only an opinion?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Agreed John.

the lane outside our house, the first pic doesnt quite show the lane going round the corner and up a hill.

in the second pic the left verge is ours and has been cut back by around 18" by tractor wheels.

reported to highways, town hall and local MP with little response to complaint

Attachments

• IMG_1049 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1049 (Large).jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1052 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1052 (Large).jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Good grief !!!

If ever there was a case for seeding an edge with a selection of nice big partially buried sharp lumps of angle iron that is it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :winky:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
motorbike friendly farmers

If there was not the odd one around there wouldn't be any off road motorcycle sport.
Trialling is my off road motorcycling of choice and we have many friendly farmers in the south east as most trials are held on farm land.
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
Case for the accused

:sorry2: Hi Funsters......
I'm just turned 60. so a little naive..please be gentle, but......(wait for it)
WHAT IN HELLS NAME IS A SWMBO ???????

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
Case for the accused

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
SWMBO loves that one !!!!!
::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Without waiting for a comment I said that if that was me I would need hospital treatment, so it must be her. That look came back on her face.
[HI]
[/HI]

Why you? Why me? When there is a dirty or a smelly job to be done why is it always the man's job to clear up the mess.!!!!!!!!!!

(Just wait till Maggie reads this!")

Norman

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
:thumb:
Why you? Why me? When there is a dirty or a smelly job to be done why is it always the man's job to clear up the mess.!!!!!!!!!!

(Just wait till Maggie reads this!")

Norman

Because ladies have approx 5 days a month for 40 odd years when they have to do something messy and gross that they don't want to do, plus the pain of childbirth (not for nothing do they call it labour) and the joy of trainee medics embroidering their interpretation of the Bayeux Tapestry on their perineums shortly thereafter.

Care to swap, dear? :thumb:

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
The mud flaps arrived from Johns Cross and they are now on the MH.

Hopefully they will keep the exhaust and me out of the s**t.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back