GeoffH

Free Member
Jun 26, 2012
M/ch UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7RG
Exp
Would like to thank all who answered last thread. I would like to ask anyone if they know how safe and if itspossible to spend the night at Dover so we can catch the early, early ferry?
Live in Manchester and want to leave the day before.
Tks

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi, you are better to take an evening ferry and stay on an aires in France. BUSBY.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
See this reply to an earlier poster:
Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Would like to thank all who answered last thread. I would like to ask anyone if they know how safe and if it's possible to spend the night at Dover so we can catch the early, early ferry?
Tks

You live in Manchester and dare ask about safety.

The good people of Dover are crapping themselves thinking about a Mancunian arriving in their midst.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Dover Esplanade is ok for parking - loads of MHs park overnight there, should use the far end from the port but loads park in front of The Gateway (huge block of flats), nearer the port.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi. I always stay at the Caravan Club, Black Horse Farm site. It's about 10 mins from Dover and is geared up for people arriving and departing at all hours.

DRIFTERJOF

Free Member
Jul 15, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
CI Carioca
Exp
15 months
Were there a week ago Tuesday:Cool:
IMG_3884.jpg

dieselkg

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
warrington
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
Would like to thank all who answered last thread. I would like to ask anyone if they know how safe and if itspossible to spend the night at Dover so we can catch the early, early ferry?
Tks
///////
yep we are doing the same 8 am to dunkerk on the10 /3// going thro to spain <murcia> yes m/c <warrington> to dover is far enough for us old people, in one day ,and we shall park on the front nr port , we will leave sat 11am the 9/3 regards dieselkg:Eeek:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Hi, you are better to take an evening ferry and stay on an aires in France. BUSBY.

One word of caution there - we tried that at the start of the school Easter Holiday on a Saturday evening. The Calais-Plage aire was full, the Calais Bassin Ouest aire had been overrun by a fun fair, and we only just got into the last slot at Gravelines.

Obviously that's an easier option at off peak times, which is one of the many reasons I'm looking forward to retirement.

Romatone

Free Member
Dec 7, 2012
Sible Hedingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since July 2012
Overnight on the Dover Promenade

Hi GeoffH

I stayed there last month and did not experience any problem, if you don't know, its free after 6 pm and before 8 am. Don't forget to allow for the queue's, early mornings are when most of the lorries go over. I was catching the 7.30 to Calais missed that! But managed to get the 8am to Dunkirk. You go right down to the last roundabout before the terminal and then come back on yourself. The turning is obviously on the left but take the second one without the width restriction.
Have a good trip:Cool:

Romatone

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Tisn't called The Esplanade though is it? It's still called Marine Parade AFAIK ? :roflmto:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
It's whole length is actually Esplanade, Waterloo Crescent & Marine Parade :thumb:

Exactly so: Marine Parade is the eastern end nearest to the ferry port, Esplanade is the western end near to the yachting basin and Waterloo Crescent is the bit in the middle. In our experience, the western section gets used the most and certainly by the larger units.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You live in Manchester and dare ask about safety.

The good people of Dover are crapping themselves thinking about a Mancunian arriving in their midst.

Just in case anyone got the wrong idea here, I am Manchester born and bred. An incredible city, it went from nothing to world centre of excellence in engineering and manufacturing in no time at all thanks to the industrial revolution.

Then thanks to two world wars, that we allegedly won plus useless Brit management/worker combination, to a world centre of engineering vacuum. Instead we do a good line in shopping malls.

Sep 8, 2010
Kent the white cliffs end
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur Lvx 8
Exp
Not long enough
Yep Marine Parade lovely spot we often take a walk along there and down to the cafe at the end off the pier cos its only 10 minutes from our house:thumb:

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
When crossing to Calias we stop overnight in the carpark next to the ticket office in Calias

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hi if any one gets stuck finding a good place to stop over night, Our very good friend has a CL site with hard standing,10mins from Dover docks ,she's on the A2 at whitfield you can call her on 01304 820234 and ask for Nelly, all the best Alf.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hi if any one gets stuck finding a good place to stop over night, Our very good friend has a CL site with hard standing,10mins from Dover docks ,she's on the A2 at whitfield you can call her on 01304 820234 and ask for Nelly, all the best Alf.

Lovely CL with great views but not open all year

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
that'a a new one on me, always been open all year as long as i know, i know she gets fully booked some times as being so close to Dover,only had a phone call from her the other day, and she did not mention any closures,its just give her a call, it may help folk that way, that was my thought, Alf

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hi All, ive just come off the phone with our friend who has the CL near to Dover, and scousebird is correct she does not open in winter due to health problems , that i did not know about, so my apologies to you scousebird , but she opens april to october, again except my apologies for any misleading information, Alf.

CarolynandMike

Free Member
Nov 21, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Liberty
Exp
since 2009
Ever since we started motorhoming 4 years ago we have stayed on Marine Parade/Drive whatever it is called on the outward journey. Quiet spot, easy parking, restaurants within easy reach, nice views and walk along the prom to stretch legs after the long drive from home, and so close to the ferry terminal. Yes, it is free after 6 p.m. but only costs about a £1 or so if you arrive earlier. We wouldn't bother with anywhere else although we are always travelling out of season.

Travelling back to Dover we usually stay on the Calais aire near the lighthouse and last time, at Gravelines as we were using Dunquerque, if we are taking a morning ferry. Other times, we stay further away from the port using aires (Le Touquet; Le Crotoy) or the campsite at Montreuil sur Mer (discovered after a KenBruce posting), and do our shopping at Auchan, Boulogne, on the way back to an early afternoon ferry.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Another thought if you are staying on Dover front - there is a very nice chippy in Castle Street, within walking distance, my OH swears by their spam fritters :spam: ::bigsmile:

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
We always stay on Marine Parade, loads of other vans and caravans overnight there and the police drive through during the night so it very safe.

Plus there's a pub nearby so you can pop in for a nightcap. :winky:

Keith

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back