Keswick , is it worth a visit? (1 Viewer)

GaryW

Free Member
Aug 6, 2012
Fleetwood, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Off to the Camping and Caravan club site at Keswick tomorrow for 3 nights. Anyone been and any tips. We are taking our 2 cockers with us and are hoping to get out for a couple of good walks with them. Not been to Keswick before.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I think you will enjoy your visit. Fantastic location for the dogs and I'm sure they will
walk you off your feet. Loads of choices round the lake and into the woods.
The campsite used to sell local walk booklets for about a £1, good value.
This is the best time to visit before the hardened tourists arrive.
Enjoy.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
You will have a good time. A couple of minutes walk from the site is a supermarket and the bus terminus, so you can take the bus down to Borrowdale and walk from there.

If you turn right at the entrance, walk down to the entrance of the Derwentwater Oval site, just past it is a gate on the left and you are at the back of Crow Park. Plenty in the town to look at, lots of pubs that are happy for you and the dogs to visit.

Check out the directions to the site first if you've not been before, it's easy to miss the turning. When you turn down by the supermarket and past the bus stops, be careful to keep right and down towards the rugby club, the main road goes up to the left.

Have a good time

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
It's a very good base for the northern lakes, Keswick itself has plenty of decent pubs etc and more than it's fare share of outdoor type shops, some great walks not to far away, Watendlath is definitely worth a visit Whinlatter Forest just outside Keswick through Braithwaite (nice campsite and pub here). may be this will also help Broken Link Removed

froggy59

Free Member
Jul 12, 2011
walkden
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2009
stopped at keswick last w/end the site is still being done up i myself did not like the site. the area is great
only 1 toilet block open the pitches seamed very crammed together and mud all over, the grass has not been laid down yet the staff where very good i just think they should have finished the site before opening for the season.

alan

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I should add that we never stayed on any of the club sites they are not for us, we used to stay just outside Keswick in Braithwaite at a site called Scotgate that was a few years ago now though, last time we rented an apartment above the bookshop, almost forgot if you are the type for stone circles etc there is Castlerigg just up the road and also a nice walk up Cat Bells / Maiden moor will give great views over Derwentwater towards Keswick

Last edited:

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
Foggey is right I was there last week. Good bus service loads of walks try walla crag:winky:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
The site is prone to flooding from the lake when it is really raining hard, so be prepared for a quick getaway.
The staff should ask for a mobile phone number so they can get hold of you to move sharpish, should the need arise.
Having said that, stayed there last season and it never happened to us, although I believe it was flooded a couple of times during the year.
Don't let it put you off as it is a very nice area, which I'm sure you and the dogs will love.

We were there very early in the season and it was full because other sites hadn't opened yet. The Wardens put us on a staff pitch because all the staff weren't on site at that time. We had to rough it with EHU, fresh water tap and waste water drain on the pitch. Sad, eh ! ::bigsmile:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We have stayed there a couple of times and would certainly go back, we liked pitch 26 nice view of the lake. Good central location, call in the local tourist information office, good little set of walk leaflets for about £1.

OP
OP
GaryW

GaryW

Free Member
Aug 6, 2012
Fleetwood, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks everyone for the great advise. I must say that when we booked the site they did mention that flood defence work was being done on site and in town to ease the flooding issue. Don't think they have much rain lately so should be ok hopefully. We live in Oldham and must say that our lawns have dried out a lot , can now walk on them without sinking,next thing you know will have to get the lawn mower out.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I think you will like Keswick.
Wish we could take our two Cockers with us but they are not used to the confines of a motorhome. We are presently in Spain so our daughter has the pleasure of their company. We miss them :Sad:
And our daughter and son :RollEyes:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Site is fine, been there many times and never had to move off even though there was heavy rain. It's a great area for walking, especially with dogs. If you enjoy a pint check out the Dog and Gun, lovely pub, does grub too.

Rgds
Bill

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Off to the Camping and Caravan club site at Keswick tomorrow for 3 nights. Anyone been and any tips. We are taking our 2 cockers with us and are hoping to get out for a couple of good walks with them. Not been to Keswick before.

It is a nice site near to the lake
Keswick is a nice place very busy in July
When there is a Christian convention On

Good Place to base and go out from to see the lakes
The village of stair on the banks of cat bells is quaint
A run to buttermere is recommended.
Have a great time
Ian

Ps the roads are. Very narrow keep well to the left and drive slow
Safe trip

Last edited:
OP
OP
GaryW

GaryW

Free Member
Aug 6, 2012
Fleetwood, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Had a fantastic weekend, I had read some reports that the approach road was full of large potholes however it has been re surfaced and is billiard smooth. Yes there is some work being done on a number of pitches but this can only improve the site. The staff were very friendly , the town of Keswick is lovely, had a farmers market on Saturday and loads of shops/ pubs. A walkers/ dog owners paradise. All in all great site and location,well recommended.

froggy59

Free Member
Jul 12, 2011
walkden
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2009
glad to see you had a good time.:thumb:

Alan

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I have to say the Lakes is one of our favourite areas. Helps when it's just over an hour away as well.

Keswick, and the C&CC site, are always worth a visit when we say "where shall we go this weekend ?".

Glad you weren't flooded out ::bigsmile:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Just back from a long weekend at the C&CC site, as reported the road is fixed, lots more hard standings and the weather was fantastic. So good in fact we stayed an extra day! Also discovered the Dog and Gun gives CAMRA members a discount on a pint, another good reason to go back.

Rgds
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back