Side Lights (1 Viewer)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I wanted to leave my Fiat Ducato (2005) in an unlit area with side lights on.
My owner's manual says key must be at the MAR position.
Never had cause to leave lights on before, so key must be in ignition at MAR position to use any external lighting then ?

Is this so or am I getting confused?

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, with the key in the ignition, you will see a little button by the key, push it in and turn the key back and then the side lights stay on and the key comes out. ::bigsmile: Bob.

Deleted User
Hi

if you look at the bottom of the ingition switch you should see a small button push this in as you turn the ignition off, the key should turn back one more position past off leaving the side lights on. Or it did on my 56 plate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Larby
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Thanks to BOBANDJANE and BAZZER09.

Just went outside and tried it. The key prevented my fingers pressing button fully in, but as I was standing outside and not in the seat, I was able to read the word PARK ! I pressed button in with small screwdriver and key went 1 extra notch and indeed as you mentioned, parking lights :Cool::Cool: and no need to even put the lights on:thumb:

Thanks for your assistance, another satisfied customer.

Peter

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont leave them on too long.

2 x front sidelights = 5w each

2 x side marker lights = 5w each

2 x tail lights + 5w each

2x number plate bulbs = 5w each

total = 40w

40w = 3.3amps

10hrs = 33amps or 1/3rd of your starter batteries total power gone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Larby
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Thanks Pappajohn for that info. I am well aware that SHMBO would be strugging to push-start 3½ tons of MH.
I was only thinking of ½ hour when I called by some friends on the way home recently.

Who remembers the old parking lamp that we put in the drivers window to comply with the need to illuminate a parked vehicle?

Attachments

• DSCF0203-3.jpg
    DSCF0203-3.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 25

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
dont leave them on too long.

2 x front sidelights = 5w each

2 x side marker lights = 5w each

2 x tail lights + 5w each

2x number plate bulbs = 5w each

total = 40w

40w = 3.3amps

10hrs = 33amps or 1/3rd of your starter batteries total power gone.

Indeed. Or the following divides by 3 and improves reliabilty no end.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/LED-Extreme-Power-Bulb-Degrees/dp/B001SPISUA"]501 LED Extreme Power Car Bulb 1.5W 360 Degrees - White x 2: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home[/ame]

Other online purveyors of 360 degree 501 LED bulbs are available...

Although I've not found any to be e-marked, there does appear to be a loophole in the law that only requires e-marks for filament bulbs. IANAL, I'm not paying your fines...

Christian.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

501 LED Extreme Power Car Bulb 1.5W 360 Degrees - White x 2: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Although I've not found any to be e-marked, there does appear to be a loophole in the law that only requires e-marks for filament bulbs. IANAL, I'm not paying your fines...

Christian.

very true, but there are so many 501 leds out there which wont physically fit in the lamp due to larger size than standard.

i looked at replacing the No plate bulbs on my Chrysler with led 501's but the standard bulb sits so close to the glass there was only one led bulb I could find which would fit....from China.

so I just used standard 5w 501 bulbs at 99p pair.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Last edited:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp

501 LED Extreme Power Car Bulb 1.5W 360 Degrees - White x 2: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Christian.

now I'm confused what is the rules then about fitting LED bulbs to exterior lights as when one pops down to Halfords and seeks out the blasphemous LED bulbs the packing states their fitment is only for promotion use etc, etc:roflmto:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
now I'm confused what is the rules then about fitting LED bulbs to exterior lights as when one pops down to Halfords and seeks out the blasphemous LED bulbs the packing states their fitment is only for promotion use etc, etc:roflmto:

The law is a bit ambiguous on the matter. The e-mark regulation appears only to apply to filament bulbs, but I don't know if there has been a test case on this.

However, the general requirements for brightness and colour still apply whatever the technology. Not all LEDs would meet them, either being too bright, too dim, the wrong colour, or having the wrong light pattern for the fitting, with many being "spot" types rather than "360" which should work in a wider variety of fittings.

Christian.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Also worth mentioning is that any LED sold as suitable for use on a a CanBUS system actually has a loading ( to kid the canbus, otherwise it thinks a bukb has blown ) the same as a standard filament type bulb, so absolutely no power saving at all :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back