Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Hi all,

Just when you think you have asked your last question :cry:

A few weeks ago when I was looking at 'check lists' I came across some posts or info somewhere or other :Blush: that were saying that carrying two breathalyser kits in France had been scrubbed, thrown out, no longer needed.

I've just received my March copy of Camping and Caravaning....you see where this is going? Yes, page 15 under news is a reminder not to forget that fines come into effect next month.

Anyone care to comment....please? Do I rush out a buy a couple?

Dave, (confused in Notts)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Still a bit confusing, the advice is to carry one, but no one will be fined if they do not. So its a please yourself/maybe::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Still a bit confusing, the advice is to carry one, but no one will be fined if they do not. So its a please yourself/maybe::bigsmile:

The thing is The French have a very Lassez faire attitude on this and OTHER so called rules of the road Do You Don't You if it is allegedly law carry them..

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Last weekend on the DFDS Ferry to France, they relayed over the PA that Breathalysers were required in France!!!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Last weekend on the DFDS Ferry to France, they relayed over the PA that Breathalysers were required in France!!!

Yes they will as they are stuck with shed loads that only have a 2yr shelf life

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/driving-abroad-whats-new-2012.html

January 2013 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.

The original official announcement stated that one unused, certified breathalyser must be produced showing the French certification mark NF. Carrying two single-use breathalysers will ensure that if one is used or damaged, you will still have a spare to produce. The breathalyser produced has to be in date - single-use breathalysers normally have a validity of twelve months.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/driving-abroad-whats-new-2012.html

January 2013 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.

The original official announcement stated that one unused, certified breathalyser must be produced showing the French certification mark NF. Carrying two single-use breathalysers will ensure that if one is used or damaged, you will still have a spare to produce. The breathalyser produced has to be in date - single-use breathalysers normally have a validity of twelve months.

Mine I purchased in France are valid for two years.....I paid 1.25 euros each...I Have two .......these were purchased when the first due was announced....not a lot of money for peace of mind.......I may never ever use them....so what... it fills somebodies bank account:Doh::winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mel

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I was in Halfrauds today and they had a huge number at £5.99. I suggested they should reduce them for a quick sale before everyone realises you don't need them.

I actually have a couple in the van, bought cheap in France, but I don't suppose I'll replace them when they go out of date.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Thanks for all the views expressed. I'm not going to rush out a buy any but if I see a bargain I'll maybe grab it!

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Let's make it simple:
No one I know around has got any!

I think I have one but can't remember where I put it!

You don't NEED any, you won't be fined in any case just don't drive when you drank! It sounds so obvious to me, yet so many people think about the b****y fine and don't care about their own lives or others'ones even:Doh:

BTW I gave you an answer as well on your other thread... did you check it lately?

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::winky:

Oldyamyam

Free Member
May 4, 2012
France
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 1991
I agree with Frankie.!
The important thing here is not the fine or how much the kits cost. But drinking and driving.
Simples! if you drink don't Drive!!!! If you drive don't drink!!!!!

Dave

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Exactly and the law was so stupid that it still required T totallers to carry them :Doh:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Don't have one. Won't get one.

We often play a game called "lawbreaker" when in France. This entails counting how many French people are on the hard shoulder not wearing a high visibility vest and not displaying a warning triangle. I have to stop after a couple of days due to threats of violence from my wife.

My indulgence ends at four HV vests, two triangles and a pack of spare lamps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back