LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
From what I can gather its a cocktail of both, but it does not freeze like butain.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Wikipedia -

Broken Link Removed
A Shell Autogas refuelling station.

Autogas is the common name for liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) when it is used as a fuel in internal combustion engines in vehicles as well as in stationary applications such as generators. It is a mixture of propane and butane.
Autogas is widely used as a "green" fuel, as it decreases exhaust emissions. In particular, it reduces CO2 emissions by around 35% compared to petrol. One litre of petrol produces 2.3 kg of CO2 when burnt, whereas the equivalent amount of autogas produces only 1.5 kg of CO2 when burnt. It has an octane rating (MON/RON) that is between 90 and 110 and an energy content (higher heating value—HHV) that is between 25.5 megajoules per litre (for pure propane) and 28.7 megajoules per litre (for pure butane) depending upon the actual fuel composition.

:france::france::france:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
In the UK it is almost all propane, other european countries mix propane/butane at various mix levels depending on time of year.

For the record the problem with butane is not that it "freezes" but that its boiling point is close to zero C. The gas is stored under pressure in the cylinder in liquid form (propane at 6 bar/100psi aprox and butane at 2 bar/28 psi aprox). Propane's boiling point is minus 42 C so will produce gaseous vapour in very cold temperatures, butane's boiling point being close to 0C means that when it gets dow to around that temperature it ceases to turn into gaseous vapour.

D.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Wikipedia -

Broken Link Removed
A Shell Autogas refuelling station.

Autogas is the common name for liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) when it is used as a fuel in internal combustion engines in vehicles as well as in stationary applications such as generators. It is a mixture of propane and butane.
Autogas is widely used as a "green" fuel, as it decreases exhaust emissions. In particular, it reduces CO2 emissions by around 35% compared to petrol. [HI]One litre of petrol produces 2.3 kg[/HI] of CO2 when burnt, whereas the equivalent amount of autogas produces only [HI]1.5 kg of CO2[/HI] when burnt. It has an octane rating (MON/RON) that is between 90 and 110 and an energy content (higher heating value—HHV) that is between 25.5 megajoules per litre (for pure propane) and 28.7 megajoules per litre (for pure butane) depending upon the actual fuel composition.

:france::france::france:

that looks way wrong by a magnitude to me. did they mean micrograms? or even grams?

1Ltr of petrol weighs about 0.7 KG so how can it produce 2.3KG of CO2?

1Ltr of LPG weighs aprox 500g so how can it produce 1.5KG of CO2?

Not looked up the actual figures but these look totally wrong on first glance although the ratio between LPG and Petrol could well be right.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
that looks way wrong by a magnitude to me. did they mean micrograms? or even grams?

1Ltr of petrol weighs about 0.7 KG so how can it produce 2.3KG of CO2?

1Ltr of LPG weighs aprox 500g so how can it produce 1.5KG of CO2?

Not looked up the actual figures but these look totally wrong on first glance although the ratio between LPG and Petrol could well be right.

I have just looked it up. I was wrong you were right.. :Doh::Doh::Doh:

I didn't think it through. It is combining oxygen from the air with carbon from the fuel and O2 in in the CO2 weighs 2 times as much..

Sorry, and thank you for my lesson for today. I love learning new stuff.:thumb::thumb::thumb:::bigsmile:

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have just looked it up. I was wrong you were right.. :Doh::Doh::Doh:

I didn't think it through. It is combining oxygen from the air with carbon from the fuel and O2 in in the CO2 weighs 2 times as much..

Sorry, and thank you for my lesson for today. I love learning new stuff.:thumb::thumb::thumb:::bigsmile:

yes, it does look odd ... but actually correct...

googling came up with several sites giving the formula for calculating.. here is one..

http://www.bicyclinginfo.org/faqs/answer.cfm?id=3460

and another

http://www.stewartmarion.com/carbon-footprint/html/carbon-footprint-car.html

EDIT

just noticed you had posted while I was googling

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Just curious,When you fill your refillable gas cylinders with auto-gas, what is it , propane , butane or some sort of cocktail

UK autogas is about 92% propane, 8% butane. Further south, they'll stick more butane in as it is cheaper per kWh. Butane doesn't vaporise in a northern european winter.

Christian.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
From what I can gather its a cocktail of both, but it does not freeze like butain.

I don't believe that there is anywhere on earth where butane would freeze.

At temperateures nearly 0C it stops gassing off (evaporating) making it useless at low temperatures.

However the liquid remains liquid - it never freezes.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

At temperateures nearly 0C it stops gassing off (evaporating) making it useless at low temperatures.

The end effect is the same though :winky:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs

Quite correct, butane freezing/melting point is minus 140 deg C! See my previous reply.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back