scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As per title..

If you have a Samsung phone you have probably installed the management software called Kies .. and very good it is too.. but it does cause a problem with reading from a usb memory stick, which I only resolved by searching Google..

When Kies was running, even in the background, it prevented reading from a Sandisk Cruzer Blade usb stick .. the stick shows up in the devices, but not on Windows explorer..

To resolve this I disabled Kies and it's tray agent from running at start up.. you can do this in 'msconfig' .. if unsure how to do just ask..

I spent ages trying to figure this out.. at first I thought I had either a faulty USB port or dodgy memory stick.. when all along it was Samsung dodgy software :RollEyes:

Last edited:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Interesting! I often put mine on the computer a few times until it finds it - i always put this down to a worn USB socket - maybe it is a problem with the software that causes issue finding anything from a USB source?

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Interesting! I often put mine on the computer a few times until it finds it - i always put this down to a worn USB socket - maybe it is a problem with the software that causes issue finding anything from a USB source?

It was only the Cruzer balde I had a problem with.. but it may affect other usb devices..

I couldn't figure it out.. my Desktop PC is almost new and I tried the Cruzer blade in several usb sockets to no avail.. I had concluded that the stick was faulty, until I tried it in my lappy .. and it was fine.

It was then I started Googling and found the problem may be associated with the Kies software ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
I gave up with kies a while back...for all the things Samsung have got right with their phones...Kies is a piggin pain in the proverbial:Angry:

Its way too temperamental and as youve found out, its use of the drivers can cause issues with other areas not just the USB...bit of memory and processor hog...on my 7+ year old PC anyway!!.

To be honest - If you dont really need to use it, i.e. happy to drag and drop music etc across and have a Google account where calender etc are stored, then id uninstall it but leave the drivers. As odd as it sounds...the drivers dont cause any issues unless Kies is loaded and running

Ive canned the Samsung account as well now... didn't half eat the battery up with checking for software updates and reccomending software and not letting the phone 'sleep' - plus I already had google watching my everymove...so didnt want another lot doing it as well::bigsmile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I gave up with kies a while back...for all the things Samsung have got right with their phones..[HI].Kies is a piggin pain in the proverbia[/HI]l:Angry:

Its way too temperamental and as youve found out, its use of the drivers can cause issues with other areas not just the USB...bit of memory and processor hog...on my 7+ year old PC anyway!!.

To be honest - If you dont really need to use it, i.e. happy to drag and drop music etc across and have a Google account where calender etc are stored, then id uninstall it but leave the drivers. As odd as it sounds...the drivers dont cause any issues unless Kies is loaded and running

Ive canned the Samsung account as well now... didn't half eat the battery up with checking for software updates and reccomending software and not letting the phone 'sleep' - plus I already had google watching my everymove...so didnt want another lot doing it as well::bigsmile:

This is quite a coincidence as just this morning I downloaded the latest version of Kies and it didn't give me any problems at all. Do you have the latest version, it could have your problems ironed out.:Smile:
What it did do tough was update my version of Jellybean from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2
I know that it doesn't sound much but it has made a fantastic differance to what was already a great operating system.:thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
This is quite a coincidence as just this morning I downloaded the latest version of Kies and it didn't give me any problems at all. Do you have the latest version, it could have your problems ironed out.:Smile:
I know that it doesn't sound much but it has made a fantastic differance to what was already a great operating system.:thumb:
For any Galaxy Note users, as far as I am aware Android Jellybean 4.1.2 is now available for both the Note 7" and 10.1".
As above I did this through Kies.:thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

I have the latest version of Kies ... and still have the same issue.. the problem isn't with the phone OS but with the software .. and it looks like I'm not alone..

but it's no big deal.. love the phone and don't need Kies

Kies Problems

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have the latest version of Kies ... and still have the same issue.. the problem isn't with the phone OS but with the software .. and it looks like I'm not alone..

but it's no big deal.. love the phone and don't need Kies

Kies Problems
Thanks Jim, I'm not a regular user, only ever use it if an update is scheduled for my phone. Out of interest how do you manage any system updates without using Kies.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007

I havent tried the new one, but then ive no use for kies either

I do the software updating myself as I have a rooted phone. Much prefer doing clean installs, after backing up all the apps and data and then restoring it and then ripping out the bloat-ware that Google and Samsung put in the builds and also stuf fthat will never get used by me but still gets started and run...like the Enterprise VPN software etc. heres an example of the dross that is in them!!http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1580830

I update to JB 4.1.2 from a German ROM(normally the first ones to come out) on the day it first came out for the original Note GN7000 - Ive now got it running very very smooth and fast.

How are you finding the battery life under JB? quite a few folk are complaining about it - especially the screen drain.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks Jim, I'm not a regular user, only ever use it if an update is scheduled for my phone. Out of interest how do you manage any system updates without using Kies.

I'm not brave enough to root the phone, well, not just yet as it invalidates the Samsung warranty... so will keep Kies just for OS updates.. other than that I won't use it..

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
forgot to mention - you can also update software straight from the phone

settings>about phone>software update

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
ah - yes - forgot about that....theres two software updates!! one for google that Samsung over write with their own which links to kies, both are present but the Samsung one takes precedence

Ive binned the Samsung one so that is why mine checks straight out to google

Only way you can change them i deleting them from the system area, which requires root access

update...hangfire on that - forgot this is JB isnt it...may be able to disable the relevant sys app through the applications area, its a new feature that ve not looked at yet...ill have a shufty and let you know

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
yeah - need to be rooted - as there are 4 other sys files that need disabling, and they are not shown unless you are rooted im afraid

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back