Halogen Oven anyone? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Does anyone use a Halogen oven in their van?
I'm interested to know if it trips the electricity on camp sites?
i have a remoska & a double skillet at the moment but my mum uses her halogen oven all the time in her house so considering buying one for our 4 month trip away.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We used to use ours all the time when on hookup with no problems, but since fitting the oven we don't carry it now. We use it all the time at home though. A great bit of kit. The one I have came from Aldi and does roasts a treat. I think they are a great idea for those without an oven in the van.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
i have a remoska & a double skillet at the moment but my mum uses her halogen oven all the time in her house so considering buying one for our 4 month trip away.

Works perfectly in our van
but the smaller model available from Derek James if I remember rightly
about a year ago.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We take ours every time and no problems with fuses tripping. We have the large version great for cooking whole chicken. If you buy one get the extender ring.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
look on the bottom of the oven, you should see a data plate/sticker with the wattage printed on it.
if it states the amps then even easier.

take the wattage and divide by 230. IE: 2000watts / 230 = 8.7amps.

if you dont know what amps the site hookup is then simply ask the warden/owner.

depending how many amps are available and how many amps the oven needs you may have to forget boiling a kettle etc at the same time.

just read the last bit of your post re: 4 month trip away.

if you're heading to Europe many sites are only 5 or 6 amps so depending on the ovens amperage needs it may trip the hookup.

Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
look on the bottom of the oven, you should see a data plate/sticker with the wattage printed on it.
if it states the amps then even easier.

take the wattage and divide by 230. IE: 2000watts / 230 = 8.7amps.

if you dont know what amps the site hookup is then simply ask the warden/owner.

depending how many amps are available and how many amps the oven needs you may have to forget boiling a kettle etc at the same time.

just read the last bit of your post re: 4 month trip away.

if you're heading to Europe many sites are only 5 or 6 amps so depending on the ovens amperage needs it may trip the hookup.

So a question John.

What about if the voltage coming in is lower than your figure of 230 does that mean it uses more amps? In Portugal at present and showing 210V. It seeme to vary between 200 and 220 so we cannot know at any one moment what amps are being used, If you can see what I mean.
We have never tripped ours when using the Halogen.
We have a gas oven but prefer the Halogen

We use ours all the time, for the last 3 years, as the taste is much better than the oven especially Chicken. Bacon is great and even pies cook better, even FB ones.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What about if the voltage coming in is lower than your figure of 230 does that mean it uses more amps? In Portugal at present and showing 210V. It seeme to vary between 200 and 220 so we cannot know at any one moment what amps are being used, If you can see what I mean.

(snip)

A good question Keith .

Since a Halogen oven is a resistive load, the answer is No ..

a lower voltage will result in lower amps and hence a reduced cooking power or wattage.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We use one all the time !!In fact the only problem we do have is they do not last that long ( couple of years tops )

Replaced the lamp in the first one but it was never as good ( lamps are not available from the makers so proly crap copy )

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
just got 1 from amazon they have great reports on them but was told to buy the andrew james 1 which comes with a free replacement lamp some other model it seems the lamps can't be changed and if they bust then thats the cooker gone
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004DR1X0M/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Andrew James 7 Litre Premium Halogen Oven including extender ring (up to 10 litres), baking and steamer trays, lid holder + 128 recipe book + an extra easily spare replaceable bulb + 2 Year Warranty: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home[/ame] at the moment they are on offer

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
just got 1 from amazon they have great reports on them but was told to buy the andrew james 1 which comes with a free replacement lamp some other model it seems the lamps can't be changed and if they bust then thats the cooker gone
at the moment they are on offer

We have the Andrew James one very good, its' 3 years old now good as new.

OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We have the Andrew James one very good, its' 3 years old now good as new.

These look good - they come in 7ltr or 12ltr.
12 ltr looks quite big but i'm worried 7 ltr might be too small?
What size do you have?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
These look good - they come in 7ltr or 12ltr.
12 ltr looks quite big but i'm worried 7 ltr might be too small?
What size do you have?

12Lt is best, we buy a full chicken which fits nice, put extender ring on cook for 1 hour and as that chef would say......... Done.

Frozen chips are good 20 minutes no oil - perfect.

OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Thanks for all your replies which have hepled me make up my mind:thumb:
I have now ordered an Andrew James 12Ltr one direct from their web site - they had it in black (matches my kitchen:Blush: and also it was a digital one.
Cant wait for it to come now so I can have a practise:Smile:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Being short on space I had a 7ltr that I found stored nicely in the gas oven (that we never ever used), we found this size was big enough for just 2 of us

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
The customer service I have had from Andrew James has been some of the best Ihave had from any company, I would say equally as good as Lakeland. My problem was with a dehydrator, not an oven incidentaly. (sp?)

I am pretty sure it must have just about been out of warranty, but they sent me a replacement and when that broke down, have sent out yet another, no problem. Oh - and apart from being a customer, have no connection to either Lakeland or Andrew James :winky:

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
Halogan oven

Had one for about 9 years still going strong, cook Christmas dinner in as well, Our calor oven is not brilliant doesnt seem to get up to temp. Would always use Halogen. We are on 10 amp in Spain at present and it works great, just don't use electric kettle at same time, we found to our cost.
regards

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Thank you for this post i have just ordered the [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004DR1X0M/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Andrew James 7 Litre Premium Halogen Oven including extender ring (up to 10 litres), baking and steamer trays, lid holder + 128 recipe book + an extra easily spare replaceable bulb + 2 Year Warranty: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home[/ame] As we only have the 4 ring gas hob the halogen oven will come in very handy:thumb:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Being short on space I had a 7ltr that I found stored nicely in the gas oven (that we never ever used), we found this size was big enough for just 2 of us

I am thinking of ordering this one and wanted to ask, would the larger one fit in the motorhome oven?
It is for sale on ebay at £24.95 with £5.95 postage.
I am worried that the small one would be too small but I want it to fit in the cooker that we have in the motorhome.

Plus its less wattage so would not trip the EHU.

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just a little tip for those that have never used a halogen oven. If you cut your carrots and parsnips into strips, drizzle a little olive oil on them and put them at the bottom of the oven and a chicken on the trivet above, the veg cooks in the juices from the chicken. Delicious.

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Ordered our Halgen oven from Amazon 26/2/13 at 17.30 and it has just arrived. Now that is quick sevice:thumb: just hope the food is equally as good::bigsmile:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Never used a halogen oven but reading the posts was interesting. Have used my slow cooker in the MH though which was brilliant ::bigsmile:

malheg

Free Member
May 28, 2008
Coppull (Chorley)
Funster No
MH
Campervan (Alphard)
Exp
12 yrs
Watts

So a question John.

We have never tripped ours when using the Halogen.
We have a gas oven but prefer the Halogen

We use ours all the time, for the last 3 years, as the taste is much better than the oven especially Chicken. Bacon is great and even pies cook better, even FB ones.

The calc is easy Watts = Amps x Volts

So if you V=200 and your site Amps are 10 then max Watts are 2000
Similar if your site amps are 5 then max watts are 1000
But if your site Volts are higher then better your wattage
Malc

isayhak

Free Member
Nov 23, 2012
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007

I could not be without my halogen oven. I was so impressed with the one I bought for use at home that I purchased another to keep in the motorhome. Just be careful not to have too much on at the same time when using it on low ampage especially if the electric hook-up does not have a trip switch. I never use the gas oven in the motorhome as it is slow to get up to it's temperature (which is never high enough) and takes ages to cook anything thus using a lot of gas. The halogen oven however heats up really quickly and cooks everything perfectly in the right amount of time, if not sooner, and as you are paying for the electric hook-up you might as well use it. Very important though is to use an extending ring as the food will cook too quickly on the top and not properly underneath unless you're cooking the likes of chips and pizzas, food that does not have a depth to it. I cannot recommend them highly enough, they're brilliant.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back