Thanks, plus one (or two) last questions! (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
By this time next week we should be in Northern France heading southish towards some sun, hopefully!

This is our first time in the motorhome and we can hardly wait for the off!

We have no itinery; except that we're heading south on a sort of Orlean, Limoges, Toulouse and then Narbonne route, then following coast into Spain. Using Aires and Camperstops on the way down but then stoping for longer periods on ACSI sites. My little concern is the Easter period and knowing what it's like in the UK, should I take the pre-caution of booking somewhere? Or, would I be ok to wait until a few days or a week or so beforehand and then look at an ACSI site which remains at off peak rates over the period; I notice there seems to be quite a large number that remain off peak right through to late June or July.

Lastly, joining this group was one of the best moves I ever made; :thumb: the help and advice has been simply brilliant! Our van now proudly displays our 'Funsters' sticker and it would be nice to pull into the occasional site with some likeminded 'Funsters' and share a glass or two whilst swapping stories! So any site recommendations would be most welcome.

Dave and Ginny

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If you have a copy of "all the aires of France" you will be fine there are so many free aires you only maybe need a site occasionally for washing clothes etc if you are on an extended trip.
Order online or collect on the way from Vicarious books.
http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
If you are taking that route (ISH) when you get south of Orleans try Salbris for some shopping...groceries that i... a couple of nice Lidls and Aldis and it's a nice small town with a real French Feel..
Just slightly further south down the A71 west along the D2076 in Mery sur Cher a smashing little aire very nice and secure and 100 metres away in the village on the main road is a lovely boulangerie for the fresh baguettes..they open at 8am..
Then follow the A20 via Chateroux..Limoges..a nice aire at Uzerche never used it personally but a lot say it's nice..then via Toulouse across towards Carcassone there is a good campsite at Alet les Bain Val d'Aleth link http://www.valdaleth.com run by an English couple very nice very friendly..and good supermarkets in Limoux just down the road..Carcassone is a very nice place to visit and near Narbonne there are a few ACSI sites..hope this all helps..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
knowing what it's like in the UK
Dave and Ginny

The UK is absolutely nothing like France. The place is huge, bigger than a big thing. There more aires and sites than you can imagine.

Don't panic, go for it. It's not like you'd have to sleep in a doorway if your first choice failed.

The sheer size can catch you out, what might look a short hop on the map can be a hard day's drive in reality, even on uncrowded French roads.

Be warned, their tolls can cost you as much as fuel, best avoided if you have time.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
As Hilldweller says, there is a lot of room in France - most village centres have somewhere for you to stop. If you are sticking to the motorway's it can get a bit boring and costly. Move off to one side onto an N road and a whole new world will open up.

Central France is still a bit chilly at this time of year, friends south of Limoges had a bit of snow yesterday.

If you are looking for inspiration, have a look at http://www.ourtour.co.uk, Jason and Julie set off from Nottingham in a 1993 B544 and are still wandering, currently in Tunisia!

Have fun

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Easter in France - they don't have the day off on Good Friday, so if you want to be somewhere for the Easter weekend, bag your spot on Good Friday. Popular Aires tend to fill up steadily on Easter Saturday, so the earlier you get there the better. For obvious reasons a lot of the locals head for home towards the end of Easter Monday.

We've been one of only half a dozen campers on a large popular aire on Good Friday, only to see it fill up by late afternoon the next day.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi Dave and Ginny!

You can stop for free at my place (on your way from Albi to Toulouse, just before Toulouse is Balma).

You can either stop in front of my house which is hard standing or stay in the garden depending on the weather.

You can have free water and free electricity from the stadium I'm living at.

And if you manage to come on a week-end, you can even have a nice meal waiting for you.
During the week I can only manage a drink as I end my work quite late in the evening.

I'm very small and harmless (eg: i don't use gasing to rob you, and promiss not to make you eat frogs legs or snails even ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:) ... but I do bark loud.... I guess my size has something to do with it:RollEyes::Blush:

Anyway ....

You are welcome except from 27 march to 7 April as I 'll be away and a couple of bank holidays for the same reason in first half of May .

Let me know if you're interested .....

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Dave and Ginny

Hi Dave and Ginny!

You can stop for free at my place (on your way from Albi to Toulouse, just before Toulouse is Balma).

You can either stop in front of my house which is hard standing or stay in the garden depending on the weather.

You can have free water and free electricity from the stadium I'm living at.

And if you manage to come on a week-end, you can even have a nice meal waiting for you.
During the week I can only manage a drink as I end my work quite late in the evening.

I'm very small and harmless (eg: i don't use gasing to rob you, and promiss not to make you eat frogs legs or snails even ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:) ... but I do bark loud.... I guess my size has something to do with it:RollEyes::Blush:

Anyway ....

You are welcome except from 27 march to 7 April as I 'll be away and a couple of bank holidays for the same reason in first half of May .

Let me know if you're interested .....

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:
Hi Frankie,
What a wonderful offer!
We have no plans set in stone but our intention is to to head south to Spain for warmer weather ASAP. Having read the recent comments on the 'coldest winter for 20 years' and 'freezing in France, snow in northern Spain'
etc., we may change our minds. Travelling back we want to meander through France (when the weather should have improved); again no set itinary.
We will definitely send you a message when we are in your area.
Thank you for your lovely, friendly e mail. We may well take you up on your offer.
All good wishes and kind regards,
Ginny

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Gruissan near Narbonne has 2 aires, one on the Marina, one on the "Plage" a great little town as well. We turned up there last bank holiday, no problem at all. Get there early so more choice of pitches.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
One thing we found in France no problem Easter, but Spain at Easter a different matter, if you could get into a camp site expect lots of noise, children running all over your pitch even playing jumping on and off your step.

We stayed on our way to Morocco, thankfully Ray from Desert Detours took pity on us, and we took the motorhome to his peaceful retreat in the mountains, bliss.

If you have the choice I would think about staying in France over Easter then making your way to Spain after peace returns to the camp sites. Just my opinion. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back