Considering a Carbon Monoxide Alarm (1 Viewer)

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
allthough our motorhome is certified habitational through the wake of three peolples unfortunate demise demise due to carbon monoxide .iam considering putting an alarm in our van to be doubly sure is there any funsters out there who have opinions on this subject i would like to hear from them kind regards steve:Blush:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
allthough our motorhome is certified habitational through the wake of three peolples unfortunate demise demise due to carbon monoxide .iam considering putting an alarm in our van to be doubly sure is there any funsters out there who have opinions on this subject i would like to hear from them kind regards steve:Blush:
Hi Steve,

I'm not sure if you meant to post your question the the "Morning Funsters" thread. If you didn't, Jim will move it for you to the right forum, if you wish. :Smile:

Although all heating type appliances are flued to the outside, I still install a CO detector. If there was a leak of any CO fumes to the interior at all, Rita and I would never know about it, without the detector.
This is one of the reasons you should "NEVER" use gas hob rings, or the oven to heat the interior of your MH/Caravan, ie, due to the intense build up of odourless and colourless.................but extremely toxic CO fumes, which often results in fatalities. It is the silent killer. :Eeek: They are even worse when gas appliances aren't operating correctly.
The use of a type approved CO detector, will give you and your family peace of mind, and an early warning to any possible leakage of fumes, just in the same manner your installed smoke detector looks after you..............but they are only as good as the battery installed within them. Some have a 5 x year battery.

Stay safe, :thumb:

Jock. :Smile:

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Moved to Motorhome Security :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Steve,

I'm not sure if you meant to post your question the the "Morning Funsters" thread. If you didn't, Jim will move it for you to the right forum, if you wish. :Smile:

Although all heating type appliances are flued to the outside, I still install a CO detector. If there was a leak of any CO fumes to the interior at all, Rita and I would never know about it, without the detector.
This is one of the reasons you should "NEVER" use gas hob rings, or the oven to heat the interior of your MH/Caravan, ie, due to the intense build up of odourless and colourless.................but extremely toxic CO fumes, which often results in fatalities. It is the silent killer. :Eeek: They are even worse when gas appliances aren't operating correctly.
The use of a type approved CO detector, will give you and your family peace of mind, and an early warning to any possible leakage of fumes, just in the same manner your installed smoke detector looks after you..............but they are only as good as the battery installed within them. Some have a 5 x year battery.

Stay safe, :thumb:

Jock. :Smile:

Good advice Jock.. cooking rings and ovens shouldn't be used for space heating..

however.. they do not give off CO unless they are faulty.. ie burning with a yellow flame.. the danger comes from them depleting the O2 in an unventilated space..

Catalytic heaters do not produce CO either, not so common these days, but they also use O2, so should always be used with caution and adequate ventilation..

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
CO detector / alarm

It's one thing I would not be without. Several battery ones available at around £17-£30. Don't fit it too low down as CO is marginally lighter than air and will tend to rise. At or above sleeping head-height seems a good idea.

This is an aside, but as well as CO, there are reports that the detectors may also be sensitive to some other gases such as hydrogen / hydrogen compounds given off by a gassing battery. This can happen when a battery fails or if it is being charged at too high a voltage. This can be another good safety feature (although you should not rely on it) as it doesn't take a lot of hydrogen to make the inside of a van explosive. My CO monitor warned me when we had a failing battery (the van was on the drive and plugged in to 230V mains at the time).

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
however.. they do not give off CO unless they are faulty.. ie burning with a yellow flame.. the danger comes from them depleting the O2 in an unventilated space..

Catalytic heaters do not produce CO either, not so common these days, but they also use O2, so should always be used with caution and adequate ventilation..
Aye, I know Jim, like my quote, where I was referring to the fumes given off.
jockandrita said:
They are even worse when gas appliances aren't operating correctly.
However, when advising in general, it is best to deter the use of gas rings and the oven for any form of heating at all. KISS I think is the term. :winky:

Ventilation is a must where any form of combustion takes place for cooking/heating. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
For more peace of mind, is there any way to test these. I can test smoke with some burning paper, but CO ?
Place the detector over your Truma Heating flue Brian, next time you turn on the boiler, and see if the fumes sets it off. I did that with my home CO Detector using the central heating flue. The problem is silencing the unit again, ie, looking to all who heard the alarm like a Morris Dancer, prancing around waving the CO detector about in the air, to clear it of particles for resetting. :ROFLMAO:

Cheers,

Jock.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Carbon Monoxide alarm

I am looking at fitting a Carbon Monoxide alarm. At the moment there are quite a lot to choose from is there any difference between a house hold type and a van/Mh one?

It does not seem to have this information on the product or on the packaging and this would be very important.

Steve

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Have CM and Fire alarm fitted and believe that there is no difference between those for MH against those for home except that those for MH may be slightly smaller

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
We purchased 2 Kiddie Smoke/carbon monoxide alarms.

I haven't installed them yet as I hate screwing into the ceiling or nice woodwork in the van! Those sticky fixers 'give in' after a while! Anyone have any other bright non-destructive mounting suggestions?

At the end of the day, it's more important to get them up and if holes are a necessity, so be it.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Both of my detectors came with 5 year batteries so I have fixed my with industrial double sided tape

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Wouldnt be without one, many manufacturers now fitting them as standard, this should be made compulsory. :Angry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
For more peace of mind, is there any way to test these. I can test smoke with some burning paper, but CO ?
in reply to a two monthold post......

yes Brian, there is a way.

hold an unlit gas lighter under the detector (obviously you press the button for gas )

oh bugger....thats for LPG alarms :Doh:

could try with a lit lighter, the always burn with a yellow (high CO) flame

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
I had somewhere in the back of my mind that is was heavier....but only when its cold...though the advice is that its largely irrelevant?

"The density of Carbon Monoxide at 20 °C (68 °C) is 0.96716 which is slightly lighter than the density of air (1.00). However, at 0 °C or 32 °F the density is increased to 1.250 which is much heavier than air. Practically speaking, [HI]placing the CO Alarm high or low is not a major concern at room temperature[/HI]. CO permeates a room much like the scent of perfume dispersing uniformly in all directions and in effect engulfs a room. Install your CO Alarm within 40 ft of all rooms used for sleeping purpose"

Withing 40ft shouldnt be an issue in your MH :winky:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I did see that someone had asked if there was a difference between house hold and motorhome detectors, but don't think there has been a reply. We are looking to get one and wonder if any one can recommend one.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
in reply to a two monthold post......

yes Brian, there is a way.
I also replied to Brian's question, in that same thread.

JockandRita said:
Place the detector over your Truma Heating flue Brian, next time you turn on the boiler, and see if the fumes sets it off. I did that with my home CO Detector using the central heating flue. The problem is silencing the unit again, ie, looking to all who heard the alarm like a Morris Dancer, prancing around waving the CO detector about in the air, to clear it of particles for resetting.

Quality velcro (3M) can be used to mount the CO detector. Some of the large round ones have a small stand at the rear, much like a photo frame.
Our oval shaped Kiddie model sits on a high shelf in the kitchen bar area of our MH, closest to any risk of CO being detected. :thumb: It's also a convenient size for a MH.

B&Q did have an offer on a while back, on quality CO detectors, but not sure if it is still available.

Stay safe,

Jock.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We bought one of these and have attached it to the van wall using sticky pads. I test it weekly. Think you can get them cheaper off e-bay.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004JNPM8O/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550948029&ref=asc_df_B004JNPM8O"]Fireangel CO-9X 7 Year Sealed for Life Carbon Monoxide Alarm: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools[/ame]

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Carbon Monoxide alarm

Just got one from ebay as you say 7 year life Fire Angel £10,95 plus a bit of postage

Thanks S&D:Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our Burstner had neither smoke nor CO alarm when we bought it so I bought [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Alert-Combination-Monoxide-Guarantee/dp/B002DR4K5O"]One of These[/ame] to save having to fit separate ones.

Screwing it to the ceiling was no problem - I checked the length of the screws holding the light fittings for guidance.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Our Burstner had neither smoke nor CO alarm when we bought it so I bought One of These to save having to fit separate ones.

Screwing it to the ceiling was no problem - I checked the length of the screws holding the light fittings for guidance.

Graham does it have to be screwed to the ceiling. thanks Carol. :Smile:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I need to replace mine (FireAngel) because I've broken the alarm-test button :Doh: It might also explain why the alarm has started going off randomly - at first I thought I had a CO leak but when it started doing it when no gas appliance had been used I knew something wasn't right.

With regard to how to test, this one has a sensor test mode that boosts the sensitivity for a short time so that you can use a smoking incense stick or match to check it's working properly. Seems more like a smoke detector test, but this is definitely a CO detector.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back