Weekend prices are £320 per person! (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
yes, you read correctly ... £320 per person for three mights.. including food and drink..
being offered by The Camper Van Cookbook author Martin Dorey..

Campers will also get to stay at wild camping locations in North Devon, waking to views of the Atlantic as well as one of the prettiest seaside meadows in the region. By night the campers will be treated to music from local musicians around the campfire, with toasted marshmallows and shanty singing.

Broken Link Removed

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
It should have read "wildmans camping location in North Devon" with Roger and Sue providing the cabaret thats whats pushing the price up. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I think I must be missing something here. Is it his own private beach complete with cultivated seaweed, or can anybody claim it as there own :Doh:. He says he will teach camper van owners how to enjoy themselves :ROFLMAO:. I must have missed something as I never had any tuition or even an instruction book :Sad:. Come to think of it I never had a cookbook either :RollEyes:. Not that I would want to cook seaweed anyway ::bigsmile:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
yes, you read correctly ... £320 per person for three mights.. including food and drink..
being offered by The Camper Van Cookbook author Martin Dorey..

Campers will also get to stay at wild camping locations in North Devon, waking to views of the Atlantic as well as one of the prettiest seaside meadows in the region. By night the campers will be treated to music from local musicians around the campfire, with toasted marshmallows and shanty singing.

Broken Link Removed

What a load of Bu**sh*t..Jim....I would want Diesel/ sea/sun/hot temps and 3 months for that price and you can keep the seaweed as it gives me acid and wind:winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mel

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
He is selling a lifestyle for the misguided starry-eyed,rich but stupid people who think motor-homing starts and finishes with VW vans(excepting Buttons),the older the better. Those people who 'Glamp' at festivals and realise that the sun never shines all the time. I bought both his books from a discount sell at less than a fiver each,not the full price of £16.
He is capitalising on 'staycationeers'.
Buy the books and do it yourself although its a bit like teaching an elderly relative to suck eggs.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
He is selling a lifestyle for the misguided starry-eyed,rich but stupid people who think motor-homing starts and finishes with VW vans(excepting Buttons),the older the better. Those people who 'Glamp' at festivals and realise that the sun never shines all the time. I bought both his books from a discount sell at less than a fiver each,not the full price of £16.
He is capitalising on 'staycationeers'.
Buy the books and do it yourself although its a bit like teaching an elderly relative to suck eggs.

Don't even buy the books.
There are recipes and ideas on a £10.00p site I know of
(God bless Jim :roflmto::roflmto: Creep Creep)
which are as good or better
and for £320 we could organise a real fun Rally for weeks not 3 days::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I believe the campsite is a secret location just outside the village of Wombourne Evriminnet.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I know many of us started camping with an old VW bus, but for the life of me I cannot understand why they are soooo expensive now. They were thirsty, no room in them, underpowered, hardly any facilities, unreliable, parts expensive, poor heaters and noisy. Why anyone would want to pay teens of thousands, and in some cases much more for something that was not fit for purpose 40 years ago, let alone nowadays I just dont get get. Maybe thats why the same people will pay £350 to be shown how to cook seaweed. Any West coast Irishman would show em for nothing.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I know many of us started camping with an old VW bus, but for the life of me I cannot understand why they are soooo expensive now. They were thirsty, no room in them, underpowered, hardly any facilities, unreliable, parts expensive, poor heaters and noisy. Why anyone would want to pay teens of thousands, and in some cases much more for something that was not fit for purpose 40 years ago, let alone nowadays I just dont get get.

Having owned a classic one which we bought for £3000 and sold for £3000 7 years later there is the advantage of zero depreciation. I estimated our average servicing/repairs/insurance/tax bill was £500 a year, which was not a lot more than the typical family saloon.

Everything you say about comfort and performance is true, and although the modern ones are supposed to be better appointed I can't understand why anyone pays around 18+ grand for a vehicle that will depreciate, when they can still buy one for a sixth of that price if they go for a well looked-after classic.

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
I had two VW's back in the day and they were the only vehicles I ever sold for more than I bought them for! They were however as has been said too cramped (especially with two small sons in tow) hopelessly unreliable (one broke down three times on the way to Prague) and pretty basic compared to what is now available.You would be nuts to pay the kind of money they go for now.:thumb:As for paying out to watch someone cooking seaweed....ditto...

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I know many of us started camping with an old VW bus, but for the life of me I cannot understand why they are soooo expensive now. They were thirsty, no room in them, underpowered, hardly any facilities, unreliable, parts expensive, poor heaters and noisy. Why anyone would want to pay teens of thousands, and in some cases much more for something that was not fit for purpose 40 years ago, let alone nowadays I just dont get get. Maybe thats why the same people will pay £350 to be shown how to cook seaweed. Any West coast Irishman would show em for nothing.
It is a hype nowadays that to be cool you have to have a VW :Eeek:
Would a 20+ year old want a Autotrail or a Hymer --it`s just not going to happen.
Younger people like to be seen in what is trendy at the time and a VW is it.
Maybe it will all change and that A class will be so cool you will earn a profit on it :thumb:
If being trendy is having no loo/ no standing up room /back ache you can keep it ::bigsmile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
don't you just love it, wild camping, wild food, outdoor plumbing and £320 for the "celebrity" factor. I hope he has planning permission for his "Wild camp site" he will need it if there are more than three vans oh and of course there's the entertainments licence and the performing rights fees and oh yes do you want to buy a signed copy of my £25 cook book:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
good luck to the man he will need it.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Like I always say....Good work if you can get it. Why didn't I think of that :Doh:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
I can just see it now. Rogers Roadkill Recipe Book. A weekend in sunny Devon cooking your own roadkill, bring your own ingredients, £350 including instruction :ROFLMAO:

Does that include a lesson in how to generate roadkill?:ROFLMAO:

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
I don't spend half of that when I go for a couple of months touring around France wilding on the aires etc. :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Does that include a lesson in how to generate roadkill?:ROFLMAO:

From what I can gather you will have to bring your own roadkilling vehicle as Rogers is not fast enough to catch them now :winky:. Sorry Rog, I couldn't help it :thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Its a bargain £590 if two of you go. Thought Dick Turpin was dead. BUSBY.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Like I always say....Good work if you can get it. Why didn't I think of that :Doh:

Exactly. If there are enough people [STRIKE]stupid enough[/STRIKE] willing to spend the money, good luck to him.

If it works out he'll be richer and the rest of us grumps here, scratching our heads and moaning what a rip off it is, won't be.

When I bought my Doblo from Danbury they were snowed under with orders for VW T2s. Younger people wouldn't be seen dead in the sort of motorhomes that are typical for this forum....the Broken Link Removed said it all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back