Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
bath
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
i have bought a s/h oyster vision sat dish and was wondering is it best to stick or fix with bolts the mounting plate? i dont like the thought of drilling the roof more than i need to ,but will it be safe if i stick it ? has anyone fitted one??? thanks chris

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Ours is bonded to the roof with Silkafix. Been there two years now. Perfect, even when I dismantled it all to convert it to a dual LNB the plate stayed stuck firm to the roof. :thumb:

Last edited:

Dai

Free Member
May 14, 2008
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Likewise, stuck to the roof with Sikaflex since 2007. Checked every time I wash the roof.
No problems. Don't forget to score the roof after cleaning thoroughly prior to fitting anything. I scored underneath the Solar brackets using emery paper.

Dai

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
All the ones I've had, have been stuck to the roof using the plate supplied with the system.

I've not heard of one ever coming adrift.

Pete:Cool:

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class (German B Class!)
Exp
6+ years
i have bought a s/h oyster vision sat dish and was wondering is it best to stick or fix with bolts the mounting plate? i dont like the thought of drilling the roof more than i need to ,but will it be safe if i stick it ? has anyone fitted one??? thanks chris

As it was the first job I had ever tackled like this, I chose belt and braces. Sikaflex equivalent and stainless steel self tapers. Two years no problems. To remove a plate use hefty fishing line wrapped around a couple of handles and use in a sawing motion like a cheese wire.
I bought my Oyster secondhand and its been really great. If you like TV just dip into your savings and buy one. Press the button and its on. I've got mine rigged to an Aldi Digibox with a really cheap TV bought from probably the best dealers, Richer Sounds, with a 5 year warranty. The TV is so light I thought it was a display model. I've tuned my Freesat and used DISeqC, I can then chose a programme on the freesat box from a different satellite and the Oyster dish moves automatically to the correct preprogrammed satellite. Used it to watch the F1GP when it's not on BBC.
Brian.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Stick it properly with Sikaflex or equivalent..

It will not go anywhere...:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back