Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Does anyone know what 12 months Road Tax will cost. Does it depend on size, age & emissions etc???

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
doesnt make sense really.

i have 6 wheels on the road, weights over twice as much as yours and pumping noxious gasses out of ten cylinders...but its still 25% cheaper than yours :Doh:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
<----£0 here :winky:

Last edited:
OP
OP
RogeTeri

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
No wonder I'm so poor!

Thanks Guys making me feel so good! Anyone get a donation from DVLA when they want Tax?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Yes the road tax is mad. My Discovery is £475, but my motorhome which is twice the weight and uses 50% more fuel to the mile is only £165.
That's the problem with governments allowing the gutter press to decide policy rather than using a bit of thought.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Either £135, £215 or £220 depending on year.

click HERE <<http://carfueldata.dft.gov.uk/new-vehicle-tax.aspx>>

then click LIGHT GOODS VEHICLE.....

in the next page select the year (read it carefully),

click NEXT to see how much

Ok i just used the link and according to this my road tax should be £135 but i looked at disc and dealer payed £220. Fiat ducat 2.3 130bp 2012 euro 5. Am i doing something wrong fellas ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ok i just used the link and according to this my road tax should be £135 but i looked at disc and dealer payed £220. Fiat ducat 2.3 130bp 2012 euro 5. Am i doing something wrong fellas ?
I think you are clicking the wrong button....unless your van is actually over 3500kg, in which case it is wrongly registered and needs sorting

you need to click 'light goods vehicle', whereas I think you are clicking 'private heavy goods'

MY MISTAKE. i just reread your post correctly.

are you sure you are clicking the correct year ?

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the simple answer is zero as there is no such thing as road tax, it was abolished in the 1970's when road tax was approaching £250. It was decided to abolish road tax and put extra duty on fuel so those who used the roads more would pay more. However as computers were not around to check you had a valid MOT and Insurance this was still checked at a post office and a Vehicle exciise duty disc (costing £5) was issued to show it had all been checked. It would appear that successive governments have forgotten this fact and chosen to tax us twice, oh dear what a surprise. We shall not fall for it again I'd rather drive a lawn mower or go back to a damn horse.Today it cost me £115 to fill the tank on my car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RogeTeri

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Road tax

I thought the original idea behind road tax was to fund building of and repair to roads etc. It seems the government has forgotten that too! Motorists are now helping to ensure our bankers don't go short and have a job! (Apologies to any bankers reading this!)

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
What about when im on the road for 6 months using my road tax and paying fuel tax,can i suspend my council tax as i wont be there?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the simple answer is zero as there is no such thing as road tax, it was abolished in the 1970's when road tax was approaching £250. It was decided to abolish road tax and put extra duty on fuel so those who used the roads more would pay more. However as computers were not around to check you had a valid MOT and Insurance this was still checked at a post office and a Vehicle exciise duty disc (costing £5) was issued to show it had all been checked. It would appear that successive governments have forgotten this fact and chosen to tax us twice, oh dear what a surprise. We shall not fall for it again I'd rather drive a lawn mower or go back to a damn horse.Today it cost me £115 to fill the tank on my car.
I still dont understand where you get this figure Roger.

in 1968 RFL was £6/8/6d for 4 months
in 1971 IT was £9/15/- for 4 months
in 1973 it was £25 for 12 months (i remember this price)

and the original road fund, when it WAS spent on road building, was abolished in 1955.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What about when im on the road for 6 months using my road tax and paying fuel tax,can i suspend my council tax as i wont be there?

I wish.......

just had a council letter regards a letting house and council tax.

as from next month the 'unfurnished and empty' allowance of 10% reduction has been withdrawn and the full 100% rate now applies.
you can apply for a one off 6 month 50% reduction...but it is a one off for the whole time you own the property.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I thought the original idea behind road tax was to fund building of and repair to roads etc. It seems the government has forgotten that too! Motorists are now helping to ensure our bankers don't go short and have a job! (Apologies to any bankers reading this!)

Dont worry RogeTeri they are just a load of Bankers:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007

If by 'the government' you mean the present one, this is not the case.
Vehicle Excise Duty (often referred to as Road tax) ceased to be earmarked for road repairs in 1937. Since then it has been paid into general taxation. In fact, even before this time, the tax raised from the Road Fund Licence was insufficient to meet the costs of road building and maintenance and so general taxation has born the cost almost from the start of motoring.
I don't think the living standard of bankers has anything to do with VED and, for the avoidance of doubt, I have no connection with the banking sector, other than as a customer. Stretching a point somewhat, one could build an argument that motorhomers' use of the roads is being subsidised by the VAT paid on purchases by non-car drivers (and of course, by the significant income tax paid by bankers and other high-earners).
:reel:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back