Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Does anyone actually own one or know of anyone who has one?

Are they really rubbish?

So many people seem to be selling them new.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi john when i was looking I called into a friend of mine who owns a local motor bike shop he had three in stock and wouldnt sell me one, he said Peugeot Honda Piaggieo, and he had non of these in, hence e-bay purchase, the chineese parts are not easy to get hold of, and they keep changing the spec so long term No not a good idea

Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

M

michaelc

Deleted User
In answer

Hi, I will 2nd the above re getting aparts, total useless, get a well known make, not one of these look alikes.
terry

A

avandriver

Deleted User
Dont bother buying a chinese moped They are rubbish

Buy a second hand japanese one

Steve

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
So that's a no then?:Eeek:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Thank you for the answers:thumb:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Are they built by political prisoners in a Labour Camp?:Eeek:

Altrac

Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
Wherever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Does anyone actually own one or know of anyone who has one?

Are they really rubbish?

So many people seem to be selling them new.

I live in the Caribbean, and loads of these scooters from China are over here right now. The dealers do say 'Its a Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha...whatever, but for the import rules, they just stick a different label on the bike - and then pay less tax'. Hence the big price difference. A brand new scooter can cost around $800 US.

I've seen a Suzuki GP100 (do they still make these??) disguised as an N.C. motorcycle - with a family of 4 riding it, + a washing machine on the back!! (No rules over here guys...)

I agree that the problems start when spares are needed - :shout:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
John, You are better off buying a second hand known make off Ebay rather than any of these chinese copies for the reasons already stated.
Also avoid the Vietnamese copy of the Vespa too, they are as bad!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: you can buy 2 or 3 for the price of 1 jap / italian so plenty of spares:thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I remember when the Japanese launched their first bikes on to the British Market.

Everyone said they would never last.:Eeek::RollEyes:

Me.....Sorry I have always bought Japanese cars and bikes.I wish I didn't have to but the British Bike industry didn't compare.:Sad:

But then I have an engineering background.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: AWW come on Steve you could always buy an Harly :thumb: then spend 3 grand to make it run properly :ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
:ROFLMAO: AWW come on Steve you could always buy an Harly :thumb: then spend 3 grand to make it run properly :ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry

Hi Terry.

I would truly Love a Harley.:Cool:

Used to race a Vincent.There's nothing like the sound of a big V twin.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Steve bet you wish you still had the vincent :thumb:if you still had you could get a m/h & a harly::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
terry

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Steve bet you wish you still had the vincent :thumb:if you still had you could get a m/h & a harly::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
terry

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The Vincent went I'm afraid.As did my mate.:Sad:

Beautiful Bike but bad memories. Hey Ho.:Doh:

Link Removed

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
did yoou win much with it?:thumb: the pic brings back memorys of a night spent at olivers mount when we drove stright into the pits (3 am) and hid next to a fence only to be woke up v/early next morning by bikes revving,turned out we were in between Barry Sheen at one side and Guagamo Aguistini at the other !!
terry

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
A few classics Terry, until my mate sadly lost his life at Brands in a classic race.

Rubbed shoulders with the Young Barry Sheene, Barry Ditchburn, Paul Smart, Giacomo as well.

Exciting Days.:Cool:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Basically John, the concensus is steer clear of Chinese - they are better at takeaways than scooters :winky:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Ooops Sorry John.We veered off topic there.:Doh:

I certainly wouldn't buy one.

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I remember when the Japanese launched their first bikes on to the British Market.

Me.....Sorry I have always bought Japanese cars and bikes.I wish I didn't have to but the British Bike industry didn't compare.:Sad:

But then I have an engineering background.[/quote)

Then you will remember only to well Steve with the early Jap stuff, that when a kick start spring broke you had to buy a complete magneto system due to "improvements" so the spring cost half the price of the bike, same applies to the chinese stuff it changes model every two weeks and the new stuff dont fit the old
I know what John is struggling with, they appear extreamly good value, and if its only for pottering around from the motor home with what can go wrong,
well let me tell you John 30% blow up out of the box.
Ask yer self punk, do you feel lucky:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?

But then I have an engineering background.[/quote)

Then you will remember only to well Steve with the early Jap stuff, that when a kick start spring broke you had to buy a complete magneto system due to "improvements" so the spring cost half the price of the bike, same applies to the chinese stuff it changes model every two weeks and the new stuff dont fit the old
I know what John is struggling with, they appear extreamly good value, and if its only for pottering around from the motor home with what can go wrong,
Geo

Kick Start?? Never used it Geo. Just pressed the button:thumb::Cool:

I remember actually taking one off one of my bikes because it got in the way of the expansion boxes we made up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Geo

:roflmto::ROFLMAO::roflmto::ROFLMAO::roflmto:

Last edited:
M

michaelc

Deleted User
In answer

Hi all, sorry but the engineering in the bike is not the problem, even if it is poor and I know because I have an engineering background to. The scooters from china can be found all over the place, i have even seen them for sale new in sweet shops for around £500 pounds, But whats the point if you can,t get the parts to repair it, its a bit like my lawn tractor, its got a Briggs and stratton engine but the lawn tractor parts are from china and the clutch as gone, can,t get the parts so a £900 machine just sits in the garage in the way and its out with my 20 year JD.
I picked up a scooter 100cc Italian job with 7000 miles on the clock off e-bay for £350, great bike and a joy to use. But why the insurance was as much as my 900cc motorbike i can,t work out.
best bet I think is to go around the bike shops have a look at all the machines, pick the one you like then buy 2nd hand, but don,t buy anything from china.
Michael

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I take on board about the scooters but surely everything else we buy seems to come from China:Doh:

M

michaelc

Deleted User
in answer,

Hi, for a time I worked for a company in oxford OMT that used engineering parts from a number of smaller companies in the area, who made high spec parts for the magnets. for cost reasons the powers that be made the decision to buy these parts from china based on cost. Well the result was a vast number of castings came onto the line that had been miscast drilling holds in the wrong places in total all out of spec, but my this time the small companies who did the work for us on time and to the spec had gone broke. Production stopped and this lead to lost jobs and a full take over by a German company.
so much for buying from china, But its all down to price, I like fly fishing and anyone who knows about fly fishing will know that some rods cost over £3000 pounds, yet in all the forums there is talk that these also come from china from the same production line as the low end rods. Some ones making a very fast buck from all this, but at the cost of jobs here within the UK and of product quality
michael

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi all :ROFLMAO: WATCH THIS SPACE in ten years:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Totaly off subject I havE a couple of chinese watches 1 omega 1 rolex daytona,both look the buiness and both tell the time :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: both cost about £35 each including p/p from china :ROFLMAO::thumb::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: Which watch is broke at the moment ? my seiko at £600:ROFLMAO: but I can get it repaired @ £70 from seiko:thumb:
terry

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi all :ROFLMAO: WATCH THIS SPACE in ten years:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Totaly off subject I havE a couple of chinese watches 1 omega 1 rolex daytona,both look the buiness and both tell the time :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: both cost about £35 each including p/p from china :ROFLMAO::thumb::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: Which watch is broke at the moment ? my seiko at £600:ROFLMAO: but I can get it repaired @ £70 from seiko:thumb:
terry

But it would only cost you £35 for another Chinese watch.:RollEyes:

Today's throw-away society.:Doh:Seems most of the chinese products imported end up in OUR landfill sites.:Angry:

I wonder....Is there a Chinese scooter "graveyard"?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back