request advice: can a french buy en english motorhome (1 Viewer)

areuh

Free Member
Feb 18, 2013
france
Funster No
MH
nothing yet
Exp
i'm a newbie
Good evening,

I'm coming now in your nice country in order to request you about advices and help.

I'm a pretty frogs eater and looking for a motorhome. Today in a french web site, i just found an english motorhome.
It's cheap so good for my wallet and before buying it, i come here to get informations about english motorhomes in france.

Mainly i'd like to have informations about electricity.
In UK you're with 110V and in France we are with 220V.
so
I'd like to know: can you connect your motorhome with 220V, if yes do u need a specific electronic socket or anything else?

another advice but with gas.
In france the rule is 30mb, what is in UK? (i hope u understand cause here it's very difficult for me)

Thank you for your answers.
If you have any other ideas, go on please

I will come back frequently
areuh

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
electric and gas are same as france so no problems you will need a diferent hook uplead at some french sites and aires our electrics are earthed rather than fused on both phases so you will need to check for polarity when used in france

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
UK electric is 230volts and lpg gas bottle regulators are now 30mb and is the same all over Europe since 2003 for gas.

to use French gas bottles you will need a French gas hose/regulator
the UK bottle is different to French bottle

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

areuh

Free Member
Feb 18, 2013
france
Funster No
MH
nothing yet
Exp
i'm a newbie
good evening,

ok thank you for the answers.
I really need to check this point so i'm about to choose pappajohn's answer cause it's easier

so nothing to be done for the electric, just need to buy socket to adapt french electric equipment

for the gas, just need to buy a hose/regulator (just translated now)

ok great, thank you averybody
areuh

Upvote 0

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
French immatriculation

Good evening,

I'm coming now in your nice country in order to request you about advices and help.

I'm a pretty frogs eater and looking for a motorhome. Today in a french web site, i just found an english motorhome.
It's cheap so good for my wallet and before buying it, i come here to get informations about english motorhomes in france.

Mainly i'd like to have informations about electricity.
In UK you're with 110V and in France we are with 220V.
so
I'd like to know: can you connect your motorhome with 220V, if yes do u need a specific electronic socket or anything els
another advice but with gas.
In france the rule is 30mb, what is in UK? (i hope u understand cause here it's very difficult for me)

Thank you for your answers.
If you have any other ideas, go on please

I will come back frequently
areuh

Hi
We live in France and bought a Motorhome in the Royaume Unis last year. Presume the Motorhome you have seen for sale will be an "occasion" (second hand)? If so, In order to change into French immatriculation, you must make sure you can obtain a certificate of conformity. This will depend on how old it is. How old is it? Because if you can't obtain a COC, then it will be treated as if it's a self build and that will cost more to change and will be a lot more paper work.
In any case, you will have to change the headlights, if they can't be adjusted, and have a gas check done by Veritas.
The Motorhome we bought was 1998 and we could not obtain a certificate of conformity. It was treated as a self build by the DREAL, was a big hassle and the total cost to obtain French immatriculation was about 1000€ on top of the cost of the Motorhome, plus the cost of the ferry and diesel of getting it to France.
If you require any further info I can help, please get in touch.
Bon courage!

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Salut areuh! (j'ai l'impression d'entendre mes bébés lol!)

Si tu as besoin d'un coup de patte fais moi signe ... Je me demandais justement quelles seraient les formalités car pas mal de camping cars anglais sont vraiment bien foutus , et je ne serais pas surprise que l'un d'eux fasse pencher mon coeur, j'aime beaucoup les auto sleepers et en France il n'y en a pas!!

En tous cas Bienvenue sur le forum!

@++++
Frankie

Upvote 0

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years

Si tu as besoin d'un coup de patte fais moi signe ... Je me demandais justement quelles seraient les formalités car pas mal de camping cars anglais sont vraiment bien foutus , et je ne serais pas surprise que l'un d'eux fasse pencher mon coeur, j'aime beaucoup les auto sleepers et en France il n'y en a pas!!

@++++
Frankie

In near perfect French too
thankyou Frankie:winky:

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Hi
We live in France and bought a Motorhome in the Royaume Unis last year. Presume the Motorhome you have seen for sale will be an "occasion" (second hand)? If so, In order to change into French immatriculation, you must make sure you can obtain a certificate of conformity. This will depend on how old it is. How old is it? Because if you can't obtain a COC, then it will be treated as if it's a self build and that will cost more to change and will be a lot more paper work.
In any case, you will have to change the headlights, if they can't be adjusted, and have a gas check done by Veritas.
The Motorhome we bought was 1998 and we could not obtain a certificate of conformity. It was treated as a self build by the DREAL, was a big hassle and the total cost to obtain French immatriculation [HI]was about 1000€ [/HI]on top of the cost of the Motorhome, plus the cost of the ferry and diesel of getting it to France.
If you require any further info I can help, please get in touch.
Bon courage!

Gosh Anna .... they know how to treat themselves , but yes Dreal is pretty difficult with conformity!
This is one detail I'll remember... just in case I want a British van and can't have a certificat de conformité!
I'll try to keep in mind that you went through french red tape already, it could save me an awful lot of time :winky: !!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
In near perfect French too
thankyou Frankie:winky:

Sorry Teddy , did you want a translation?

May be you find it a tad rude to talk in French, but so easier for me and for areuh ... poor one ... if he needs a dictionnary to get all your texts ... he's going to need all night !LOL So I thought a bit of french wouldn't hurt!!

So roughly I told him he could rely on me for any kind of help. On the other hand I appreciate to have info on the subject as i do like British vans and might fell for one of them !

Are you feeling any better ? I promiss I didn't say anything rude about UK or its people ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

You can trust me!!

Amicalement

Frankie:winky:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

areuh

Free Member
Feb 18, 2013
france
Funster No
MH
nothing yet
Exp
i'm a newbie
hi,

-- for Anna

the vehicle is a second half and already has french immatriculation
you're right, i know i will have to change the headlights,
the truck is a peugeot boxer so i think it will be easy to change but not sure.
Need to go a peugeot's garage to ask

"have a gas check done by Veritas." <- do you speak about the regulator i've already spoken or about a certificate?

-- for yodeli (frankie), pas de probleme mais peut etre que tu peux deja verifier ma bonne compréhension de la langue de Shakespeare et jouer le garde-fou.
Apres pour les formalités si j'ai un truc particulier je demande et je partage l'info, pas de souci (si je décide d'acheter le véhicule bien sur)
are u french? or do u write it (perfectly i have to say)

-- teddybard and sisy56 (craig)
:winky:

Upvote 0

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years

@++++
Frankie

:ROFLMAO: Hi this dose not :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO: translate very well with bing :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
hi,

-- for Anna

"have a gas check done by Veritas." <- do you speak about the regulator i've already spoken or about a certificate?

-- for yodeli (frankie), pas de probleme mais peut etre que tu peux deja verifier ma bonne compréhension de la langue de Shakespeare et jouer le garde-fou.
Apres pour les formalités si j'ai un truc particulier je demande et je partage l'info, pas de souci (si je décide d'acheter le véhicule bien sur)
are u french? or do u write it (perfectly i have to say)

-- teddybard and sisy56 (craig)
:winky:

Je tâcherai de suivre le sujet de près afin de m'assurer que tout est bien saisi de part et d'autre !
Oui je suis française mais je baigne dans le bouillon anglais depuis déjà un bon bout de temps , d'autre part suis en couple avec l'un des membres du forum qui lui bien sûr est britannique!

A très bientôt .... et de ce pas je vais me glisser sous ma couette!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
:ROFLMAO: Hi this dose not :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO: translate very well with bing :ROFLMAO:

I suggest then you change translator:roflmto: I'm going to make my own ... what do you think about this? I'll call it "bubbles tranlator":ROFLMAO: I'll concentrate on slang !! What do you think Brian??

And now night night!

Amicalement

Upvote 0

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Sorry Teddy , did you want a translation?

May be you find it a tad rude to talk in French, but so easier for me and for areuh ... poor one ... if he needs a dictionnary to get all your texts ... he's going to need all night !LOL So I thought a bit of french wouldn't hurt!!

So roughly I told him he could rely on me for any kind of help. On the other hand I appreciate to have info on the subject as i do like British vans and might fell for one of them !

Are you feeling any better ? I promiss I didn't say anything rude about UK or its people ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

You can trust me!!

Amicalement

Thanks for translation
Understood about 60% I Joking

Upvote 0

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We moved our UK motorhome into the French system last year.
We got a certificate of conformity from Itineo our motorhome maker and there was no problem with anything.
No Drear or need for a gas check.
As long as your van is 3.5te max and you have a certificate of conformity then you should have no problem, we certainly did not. :thumb:

Oh and a CT ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
hi,

-- for Anna

Hi
I don't understand. Am I missing something here? If the vehicle already has French immatriculation, then surely this means it's already French registered
and on French number plates?
Therefore, if this is correct, it will just have to have a CT within the last 6 months, and the carte Gris changed Into your name.

Upvote 0

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
Gosh Anna .... they know how to treat themselves , but yes Dreal is pretty difficult with conformity!
This is one detail I'll remember... just in case I want a British van and can't have a certificat de conformité!
I'll try to keep in mind that you went through french red tape already, it could save me an awful lot of time :winky: !!

Amicalement

Yes, Frankie, not cheap!
This was the approx total price, which included Certificate of Conformity from Fiat (for the chassis/cab), Certificate of Conformity from Alko (for the chassis conversion), Veritas certificate (for the gas check), CT, charge for Dreal inspection, Carte Gris, LH Headlights (found 2nd hand on Le Bon Coin).....think that was about all....no charge for all our time and effort filling in all the French paperwork due to MH being treated as a self build (due to no Certificate of Conformity being available from Swift for the habitation part (cellule?)!

Upvote 0

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
We moved our UK motorhome into the French system last year.
We got a certificate of conformity from Itineo our motorhome maker and there was no problem with anything.
No Drear or need for a gas check.
As long as your van is 3.5te max and you have a certificate of conformity then you should have no problem, we certainly did not. :thumb:

Oh and a CT ::bigsmile:

Yes, my point is that if you want to register a UK MH in France, make sure you can obtain a complete COC as if it's an older MH, this may not be possible. If this is the case, then it will have to go through the procedure of being classed as a self build and all that involves.
If over 3.5t then it will be treated as HGV vehicle and have to have the CT carried out at an HGV station every year.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Areuh, perhaps Frankie could translate for you about the SCAMS that are going around here in the U.K. at the moment :Eeek:Do not pay for any van up front on the promise they will deliver or that you can pick it up after you have paid.
Terry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

areuh

Free Member
Feb 18, 2013
france
Funster No
MH
nothing yet
Exp
i'm a newbie
hi,
I just read the topic and i dod not find, the name and type about the motorhome i found, so let me tell:
elddis autoquest 400, so if you have knowledge and/or technc links about it, let me know please

Anna,

yes with french immatriculation, i think there will not be problem for "carte grise", but i asked you why did speak about Veritas gas certification into your first post.

I'm going to search the technic review about this motorhome but i you know the link

Bye and thank you,
areuh

EDIT
for terry,

The motoehome is in Bordeaux, i've a date next sunday.
I won't pay anything if i can't come back home with it.

But it's strange situation
the "new" owner told me it was a gift after a decease (death?) in his family.
the "new" owner did not find the "carte grise" and so i will have to send papers of the vehice to a "prefecture" (prefecture is official administration), with a particular officer for the process.

i have to phone to the "prefecture" (departement: charente) in order to know this man.

I hope you understand....YODELI... HELP

thx,
areuh

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
hi,
I just read the topic and i dod not find, the name and type about the motorhome i found, so let me tell:
elddis autoquest 400, so if you have knowledge and/or technc links about it, let me know please

Anna,

yes with french immatriculation, i think there will not be problem for "carte grise", but i asked you why did speak about Veritas gas certification into your first post.

I'm going to search the technic review about this motorhome but i you know the link

Bye and thank you,
areuh

EDIT
for terry,

the "new" owner did not find the "carte grise" and so i will have to send papers of the vehice to a "prefecture" (prefecture is official administration), with a particular officer for the process.

i have to phone to the "prefecture" (departement: charente) in order to know this man.

thx,
areuh

Hi I don't understand the technical terms but you have the right idea on payment :thumb:The story sounds feasible (death/inherited) but then scams do :whatthe: Check it is not a stolen vehicle :winky: :thumb:
Terry

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
hi,

Anna,

Bye and thank you,
areuh

EDIT
for terry,

thx,
areuh

Salut Areuh

Il faudrait que tu m'expliques en français déjà le parcours du camping-car que tu veux acheter .... de ce que je comprends.... (t'as fait une traduction google ou quoi? LOL !)...ton histoire me semble un tantinet foireuse...Méfiance méfiance!!! Y a des trucs pas clairs du tout! A la base pourquoi demandes-tu comment faire pour récupérer un van ANGLAIS si 1) l'immatriculation est française 2) le van est en France 3) le vendeur lui??? il est quoi?? anglais? français? réside-il en France? Si tout est français alors je ne vois pas pourquoi tu aurais le moindre soucis . Il y a juste à faire la même chose que pour une vente de voiture: une déclaration de cession de véhicule et point barre! Il doit y avoir un truc qui m'a échappé!

Tu m'expliques d'abord , et ensuite je traduirai au mieux tes angoisses et questionnements! Ok ?

je suis souvent en ligne mais rarement assez disponible pour dévelloper une réponse rapidement , surtout en journée! Oilàààààààààà!

Amicalement

Oups! tu n'as pas cotisé!!! Donc soit tu cotises et là plus de problèmes ou non, et là tu ne pourras plus faire de posts mais seulement lire! Le mieux est de regarder ma fiche , tu cliques sur yodeli et tu trouveras mon adresse mail ...mais quand même tu trouveras sur ce site toutes les réponses à tes questions !! Pour avoir été sur des sites français ... je peux te dire qu'ils sont tous nullissimes!! et loin loin loin d'être aussi conviviaux! ...mon avis bien sûr ...!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

areuh

Free Member
Feb 18, 2013
france
Funster No
MH
nothing yet
Exp
i'm a newbie
ok,

seems ok to post.
No complains about my english? so i used good words..? who did speak about google translation with her PM?
:RollEyes:

See you later all.
thx,
areuh

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Always wanted to learn French-- free lessons on here .
Another bargin on Motorhome fun:thumb:

Upvote 0

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Faudrait visiter le forum 'campingcar-bricoloisirs'!! :thumb:

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
A UK website, but you can check on here for the history on the vheicle and if it has been registered stolen in the UK or not. It will give you some piece of mind. This is assuming it is still UK registered.

http://www.hpicheck.com/

You can always ask us to give you a good diea of the market value, as many scam vehicles are sold cheaply and under value. The members here have a very good understanding of their vehicles values.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back