LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
This is more of a curiosity as today we have an outside parking place at a local farm. It's on a hard standing and there are around 10 tin tents and 3 other MH's.

However we also have in our village an internal storage site for MH's. It's a new building that holds 8 standard sized MH's plus there's a huge Concorde in there. It's warm, dry and has electricity and also has protection from the local Pine Martins:Angry:

Thing is our outside hard standing costs us £250 p/a but the internal places are around £750 p/a and I'm just wondering what the prices are like in the UK ?

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
When I used internal storage I paid £30 per month, only for the time it was actually in the storage warehouse.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
It appears that the storage costs in the UK are lifted depending on your location.
Here in the North East they are very reasonable both outside and in.
A new secure storage area is opening at Teesside Airport at the end of this month. Entry is with secure fob and strong security as it is the airport. I have enquired and a 12 month contract for internal storage is £230, not bad. External works out at less than £200.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
When I used to have storage up until 18 months ago, I paid £250 per year inside and for a second van £150 per year. Before that it was £1 per day whilst there, outside. This is in Cheshire.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Ours is almost £1500 a year in outside secure storage. I think it was about £800-900 at a CC site in London where we used to store it.

The place we are in now is super secure. So much so I feel guilty taking my own van out.:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ours is almost £1500 a year in outside secure storage. I think it was about £800-900 at a CC site in London where we used to store it.

The place we are in now is super secure. So much so I feel guilty taking my own van out.:Smile:
:Eeek: for £1500 per year i would want my own personal security guard living in a tent next to the RV, 24/7.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I use my own part redundant workshop area --heated and alarmed.
Spoilt i spose,but needed for a older MH :thumb:

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
For a secure Cosa site in Mid Sussex it is around £580 per year. Me I would keep on drive but the OH says not on your life!

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Interesting, I'm paying £360 per annum, which looks fair enough compared to some others. It's an outside hardstanding on a farm with kennels and cattery, plus there's a guard dog on permanent sentry duty. I like the place, you can't get close without setting the dogs off.::bigsmile:

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Yes, insurance is informed. They wanted confirmation of the secuity arrangement. I don't think it's affected the cost, but I've not had a quote for storage at home to compare.:Smile:

Carreraboy

Free Member
Nov 6, 2011
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I pay £450 per year inside secure and alarmed barn on fairly remote and anonymous looking farm. Use of electric for hook up inside.

Here's hoping the owner doesn't subscribe to this forum cos I feel he may be undercharging somewhat !!!!

(Gloucestershire)

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Do all you guys using storage inform your insurance company where the vehicle is parked? and if so does it increase the insurance?

Insurance company visited ours at the storage site, although its only about 800m from the house. He went to check the body work of the van but did comment on the site and said it was fine, security pretty much doesn't exist here (yet) and ours is just on a country lane with nothing but wild moggies and pine martins to protect it.....

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I pay £450 per year inside secure and alarmed barn on fairly remote and anonymous looking farm. Use of electric for hook up inside.

Here's hoping the owner doesn't subscribe to this forum cos I feel he may be undercharging somewhat !!!!

(Gloucestershire)

Sounds like a bargain, stick an IP webcam up and he'll add another 500 to that cost

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years

Which part of Kent are you in Treacle as im looking into storing elsewhere?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Which part of Kent are you in Treacle as im looking into storing elsewhere?

Sidcup, but my van is near Orpington.

Not sure I can recommend it for what we pay to be honest.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Here in Dumfries it ranges from £140 to £250 for external storage, we keep ours on the drive and at a friends small holding about 7 miles from us if we know we won't use it for a while as he has space indoors. He doesn't charge anything we just bring him back a gift from the place we have visited when out in van so far he has had some weird and wonderful gifts ranging from Black pudding from Stornaway to wine from a vineyard we spent the night on.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We pay £400 each year for internal storage. That's worth it alone following the damp that ruined a caravan we kept outdoors.
We also have the advantage of a garage workshop at the end of the building. That's useful for security and the few occasions we've had difficulties such as flat battery.

morrisgapyear

Free Member
Oct 19, 2011
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
lowline coachbuilt
Exp
waiting for the old man to retire, but enjoyig weekends and holidays away as often as possible
West sussex

Inside secure storage - just over£700 per year - got a discount on insurance on the basis of the gold standard of the storage site. Huge facility for caravans and vans. Only prob is that it is in the middle of nowhere and it takes 20 mins to get there from where we live. Good for those who use vehicles for specific holiday times but not so convenient for those who use the van more frequently such as for long weekends. You can leave your car in their outside park while you are away. We have no real alternative. Either you take a gamble on the cat being stolen from the van while it is on the driveway or you use this site - no others of this standard in this area and with no competition, then prices are on the high side. Advantages - they have a big gantry for you to use to give the van a good clean and provide hoses and brushes etc. Repair and servicing available on the same site.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Do all you guys using storage inform your insurance company where the vehicle is parked? and if so does it increase the insurance?

When we moved ours to a Cossa Gold site, our premiums went up because the post code changed to a less secure area. You would have expected it to go down moving from our drive to a secure compound. Changed to Comfort insurance and got a reduction.

D

Deleted member 22420

Deleted User
We have use of a barn where some other caravans and MH's are also stored - some external. cost is £600 a year which seems about right for Hampshire. Reasonably secure and accepted by Comfort. Previous storage was external at £36 per month for a largish caravan, when we bought the MH they upped the price to £40 and it's the same length as the caravan's shipping length - cheeky blighters!

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Well our cheap and local storage site is closing at the end of September so I've been looking at that posh barn across the road but it's full (bloody RV takes 2 spaces…) they are adding in another space next year which hopefully we'll get so we are next in line so to speak. Until then I'v been desperately searching around for a mid term alternative and have found a place around 25mins away, still outside but at least locked. Also been asking farmers if they would have space but all are reluctant for fire insurance reasons.

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
Ours is outside hard standing storage price increasing this year to £450 but its an insurance registered gold standard place, with cctv and finger print access.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Seems to depend v much on location.
My daughter pays £365 p.a. Very secure outside storage.
I paid equiv of £420 p.a. For outside storage in Devon.
Southampton when I enquirer was almost £600 for outside storage tho it was v secure, CCTV, etc...

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
£343.20 per annum, outside in a locked compound on a manned site with CCTV and large security gates. Not CASSOA registered.

Insurance company (Safeguard) like to know that it's stored away from home, and reduce the premium by a bit for CASSOA registered sites. The main advantage for us is the 12 mile round trip, as opposed to 50+ miles for the CASSOA site we used previously, so we make a net saving on the fuel.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I pay £25/week for secure inside, heated storage.

Yes, it seems expensive. Yes, it's security guarded as it's on a 'live' army base in Hampshire.

But they do look after the vehicles and run them regularly so I always know Udo's OK. If there's ever a problem, they let me know and have mechanics on-site or know others who can.

I've asked my builder for a quote for a wooden carport with a pitched and tiled roof next to my house, large enough for Udo. All he said was 'very expensive!'.

So, considering Udo's rarity, condition and my propensity to keep him immaculate, I think the costs are justified. I've looked around and can't find anything cheaper that's undercover anywhere near me. And Udo 'lives' 30 minutes away from us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back