Free Member
Oct 30, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Hi
I need to wash the motorhome, just wondered which cleaning products to buy.
Is Fenwicks any good?
Should I get an extendable brush?

Tips, advice welcome.

Cheers::bigsmile:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Hi
I need to wash the motorhome, just wondered which cleaning products to buy.
Is Fenwicks any good?
Should I get an extendable brush?

Tips, advice welcome.

Cheers::bigsmile:

I have always found the Fenwicks range very good, a good wash with motorhome cleaner followed by a rinse and then a good soaking with bobby dazzler leaves a good shine, always used to use the overwintering fluid on the caravan, in fact I got so I was leaving a coating on all year and it still looked brand new when we sold it 5 years later. Extending brush is handy but I always apply bobby dazzler with a decent size pump up garden sprayer, this can also be used to pre spray any tough dirty area's with motorhome cleaner, and the overwintering fluid

Last edited:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Cleaned mine with fenwicks mh cleaner yesterday and oversprayed with Bobby dazzler and leathered off.Also sprayed roof with another over wintering solution (maypole) which i just sprayed and left on. Result = nice shiny van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
I do exactly the same, using an extendable brush. Use brush to clean van then put on bobby dazzler, but like the idea of the garden sprayer!

I also use it on my car. Found best results if you dry off the bobby dazzler it seems, well to me, to leave a better shine

Going to try their overwintering fluid this year!

shrop1

Free Member
Sep 4, 2010
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
since 2010
Sod's law

Just spent all weekend cleaning motorhome roof and all. Looked great only to return a little later and my neighbour has had a bonfire and now it looks like a Dalmatian. Grrrrrr
Start again tomorrow after a quiet word with next door !

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Bobby dazzler over wintering fluid where do you get this stuff and is it that good does it stop black streaks :whatthe:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
My OH bought some car shampoo from our local discount shop for £1.25 a litre bottle, did the MH & daughters car, they are gleaming. Alan is very impressed with it, going to stock up. On daughters car alloys he used some Elbow Grease and they look great.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Washing-up liquid and a soft brush... :thumb:

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
No Rinse wash and shine. Absolutely swear by it(y) Ordered yesterday on ebay and it arrived today.
DSCF8159.JPG

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I now only use Autoglym products on the MH. There was a test of the common products in MMM last year and there were only two which really performed well, one was Autoglym and another one I can't remember the name of but it was more than twice the price of the Autoglym and performed about the same. They have a bewildering range of products but Bodywork Shampoo follow by Super Resin polish will leave a good finish. The last time I used the polish I actually read and followed their instructions (!) and it was a pretty quick job to do. They also do products for extra protection, which makes it a long job if you add these in but even if you only do it once a year it will help.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you just want to clean it, try what I do ( and it shocks an awful lot of folk that it actually works )

I use a PROPER microfibre cloth and plain cold water.

That removes just about everything bar tar .. For that I use something like raw alcohol ..

Once clean I occasionally go over it with 'Diamond' polish, which aint exactly cheap but will last around a year

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As an aside, I helped Sue ( The Only Sue ) clean her van after she arrived at Zahora from Morocco.. complete with half the African desert on her motor !!
She could not believe what I was doing to start with but had to agree it works really well !

If the van is REALLY grubby I do a 'wet wash'. Keep the cloth really wet.
Once most of the crap is off do a dry wash ( ! ).. Bucket of cold water, wring out as much as poss and get started.
After a wee while rinse cloth, wring out, and continue ..

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Autoglym shampoo then Bobby Dazzler using garden spray & Maypole motorhome & wheel covers in between uses(y) Same method for car, conservatory, windows etc.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
I now only use Autoglym products on the MH. There was a test of the common products in MMM last year and there were only two which really performed well, one was Autoglym and another one I can't remember the name of but it was more than twice the price of the Autoglym and performed about the same. They have a bewildering range of products but Bodywork Shampoo follow by Super Resin polish will leave a good finish. The last time I used the polish I actually read and followed their instructions (!) and it was a pretty quick job to do. They also do products for extra protection, which makes it a long job if you add these in but even if you only do it once a year it will help.

I would be careful of using Super Resin Polish too often unless your van needs it, it is very abrasive.

Once your van is clean, try Colonite 476s it is a detergent resistant wax which gives a super finish which lasts a long time.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Yes,I know it's said that washing-up liquid is bad for cars but I've used various types for many years (well, since 1965 anyway) and not a single vehicle has suffered any ill effects - and yes, most of them I had/have had for years ...

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Yes,I know it's said that washing-up liquid is bad for cars but I've used various types for many years (well, since 1965 anyway) and not a single vehicle has suffered any ill effects - and yes, most of them I had/have had for years ...

Washing up liquid contains salt so can be mildly abrasive and corrosive. Having said that, according to Hymer our MH should only be cleaned with "plenty of warm water and a soft cloth, if very dirty, dish washing fluid may be added to the water".

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Aldi Caravan Cleaner, every bit as good if not better than Fenwicks at a fraction of the price. They have it in at least twice a year spring & autumn I always stock up with it.

Landyguy

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2013
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Serrano
Exp
newbie from caravan - 5yrs now
I second the Aldi Caravan Cleaner as excellent for the price.
They also do a small spray of black streak remover.
In Aldi from today 26th March - £2.99 per litre and same price for the black streak remover.
Must go and get some more.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

yes.. me to also..

but it does contain a fair amount of salt as a thickening agent.. and some fairly strong alkalies that cut through grease .. so it strips off the polish
salt is also added to clothes washing liquids to stop foaming..

provided it's flushed off with lots of cold water 'probably' does no harm.. but I stopped some while ago as car shampoo is fairly cheap ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back