Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Horsham
Funster No
MH
Dont own yet
Exp
zero
Good Morning everyone, My family and i are just about to buy our first motorhome and we are very confused with the pricing. I'll post two links and maybe you'll be able to tell us which one is the right price.

http://m.friday-ad.co.uk/bristol/used-caravans-and-motorhomes-for-sale/motorhomes/elddis-autoquest-140-TT303D28C

http://m.friday-ad.co.uk/lichfield/used-caravans-and-motorhomes-for-sale/motorhomes/elddis-autoquest-140-YI240KGHA

We are learning slowly about motorhomes but are desperate to get on the road and start enjoying it. Our children cant wait and are very excited. Will this model suit two adults and two children 12 and 6?

Thanks in advance for your help.

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
Very wide price range on your two examples. I have looked at the 140 low profile and not seen one that age for much less however the High top seems rather low for that age. I too have not got a MH yet but have spent a whole lot of time looking and comparing prices. Auto trader is a rather good tool to use to get average prices and gauge layouts etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Stuart

Welcome to motorhome fun!

The first looks very suspiciously very underpriced, but will fit your basic needs.

The second just won't, it's a 2 berth!

Be very careful what you buy! Don't rush in, you will make costly mistake! Can I suggest you make the effort to get along to a show or two first before you part with any cash?

The spring show at Newark is very soon, us along with other funsters will ne there and if you want we would be more than happy to guide you through the various types and models to help you with making the right choice.

There is just so much to consider! Suitability for winter use, water tank sizes, fixed beds or not, storage for the kids bikes, the activities you do as a family, etc. Will all dictate your buying decisions.:Eeek:

Please don't rush into this one!

-Jon

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
The second is only a 2 berth, no room for the kids or even if you were going to put themin an awning , no seat belts for them travelling

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
The one at £7400 is almost certainly some sort of scam, you would pay that for a decent caravan...... It's a ridiculous price, you could sell it for more than double that in an instant.

The one from the dealer is overpriced (unsurprisingly) and is too small for you anyway as it is only 2 berth.

We have two boys 10 and 4. We have a 6 berth van, our previous was an Elddis which was also 6 berth. That way we all have fixed beds. We sleep in the double overcab which is huge, even the little fella sometimes climbs up and sleeps with us there.

The boys have the bunk beds at the back. That way there is no need to make up beds. The lounge / dining area is always available so even if the boys go to their beds and the wife is in the overcab I can still sit in the lounge and read, watch TV, have a beer etc...:thumb::thumb:

This is a link below to a van the same as our previous 6 berth Elddis 160. We found it too small for the 4 of us and the boys were smaller then. When we bought the Elddis like this 5 years ago we paid £21,000 private. It was immaculate with only 5000 miles. We sold it for just under 20k, 2.5 years ago. We also bought our current van privately from E-Bay but were meticulous to check it was all good and genuine before parting with any cash.

Get yourself round some dealers. Take the boys. sit in the vans, get in the beds, and imagine a week or a month away with the space available in the van. Find a layout that will suit. Think about how much gear you will take, bikes, scooters, clothes etc for 4 people, check the storage, garage, underfloor etc, make sure you have enough. Check the payload available. We will have 6 weeks away this summer in Europe with the boys with no problems but our current van is a lot bigger than the 6 berth Elddis below.

Link Removed

Something like this would give you enough space and no need to make beds up... also the Chausson 35 which Jon & Shell have would be perfect for you.

Link Removed

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Stuart, The 2 cheap ones must be scams. Sadly there are many about but they are usually picked up by folks on here. Be careful!
Cheers
Bernie

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
http://m.friday-ad.co.uk/brighton/used-caravans-and-motorhomes-for-sale/motorhomes/peugeot-boxer-2-2-YI303DA56

Another one at that price, Am i being stupid? :Blush:

Thanks for all your replies, it's realy nice to hear from you all.

Very high mileage for age, probably very well used ex-rental or a SCAM!

Proceed with extreme caution! There might be a plausible explaination for the low price. It might be seized by the police or recievers shifting them but be VERY careful!

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
http://m.friday-ad.co.uk/brighton/used-caravans-and-motorhomes-for-sale/motorhomes/peugeot-boxer-2-2-YI303DA56

Another one at that price, Am i being stupid? :Blush:

Thanks for all your replies, it's realy nice to hear from you all.

Total scam..... Just call the number and you will hear a wonderful story, which will involve you transfer of money to them for a van you will never own.:Eeek:

Some dealers would be looking for £25k to £30k for an Elddis Autoquest 180 like this......
They have to make profit, but £25k......:Doh:

Check the numerous threads on here re scams. It will show you many of the ways these scammers operate. Some are very subtle and clever so always be on your guard. ....
and of course if it looks to cheap to be true........... you know the rest.:thumb:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the low priced ones are definately scams a plain fiat ducato delivery van is worth that money be very wary of anything that asks for money to be paid any way other than a bacs transfer bank to bank even that can be dodgy the only truly safe way is buying from an established dealership speak to your bank about safe ways you can pay for a high priced item credit cards are protected remember

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
the low priced ones are definately scams a plain fiat ducato delivery van is worth that money be very wary of anything that asks for money to be paid any way other than a bacs transfer bank to bank even that can be dodgy[HI] the only truly safe way is buying from an established dealership[/HI] speak to your bank about safe ways you can pay for a high priced item credit cards are protected remember

Absolutely not true if you do your homework and check every thing thoroughly.....

Have all the happy satisfied Funsters on here bought their vans from dealers?

I don't think so.:Doh:

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I always buy my vehicles privately, or at auctions. I have done for the last 45 years, and if you are clever enough, and do your homework and research well. You can get some real bargains. Some dealers are not caring enough, some are absolutely brilliant. You take your choice. I only have myself to blame if it goes wrong, which is not often.
Be very careful of the very, very cheap ones. Hold on to your money until you are 100% satisfied it is genuine. HPI checks are a good thing too.

Craig

OP
OP
S

Stuart1

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Horsham
Funster No
MH
Dont own yet
Exp
zero
Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
As a general rule of thumb if you google the make of the Motorhome your after and put for sale at the end you will get a broad range for sale from dealers,eBay ,auto trader and private sellers.Narrow it down to the year your looking at and that will give you your range of prices.
The dealer vans will be the most expensive however you have more come back if anything is or goes wrong, so some people find that gives them piece of mind.Then you have the private ads where in my opinion you can get the good deals.This van is way too cheap to be genuine if it were we'd all have 2.
Jonandshell give good advice, if you go to a show you will see lots of different layouts,you can then decide what you want.Then wait for the right van to come up and go and view it,when you see it try not to be too keen and be objective.Remember things in this economic climate don't sell easily! I bought my van last year for cash it had been advertised for a while and the seller was keen to sell to fund an extension .It was keenly priced but I bid just under a couple of grand less and waved the money under his nose.He could not resist and we took our baby home.He was a nice chap who sold it and we kept in contact for a while whilst I got used to it,I think if It hadn't felt right with the seller I would have walked away.
So do your homework,haggle well and enjoy the rewards!

Vlad

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome, total scam :thumb: there is no way you are going to get a new shape van like that under 20 k even if it had 100, 000 mls on it ::bigsmile:
Have a read at the scam posts over the last few weeks, never send any money expecting delivery:Eeek::Sad:
Terry

Last edited:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Most obviously SCAMS!!!!!!

Just look at similar age/model/type vans advertised by various proper MH dealers to get an idea of prices. Even knocking off £5/10.000 for private sale :)Eek!:) these would never be that cheap!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Stuart

I am on the laptop now, so am able to type a more involved reply than if I were on the phone!

There are loads of scams out there to catch the unwary. I'm afraid someone like you, with limited knowledge of the market, is the intended victim of these fraudsters!

I was quite genuine with my offer earlier, the Newark show might be a good place to start your search. Us funsters are able to give you impartial advice and many of us have experience of travel with kids.

You really need to identify your requirements though. The Elddis range of vans, although of good quality are really designed for use on serviced sites only. The water tanks are small and the levels of insulation, heating and water system designs will not serve you well if you decide to be adventurous and take the lads skiing, for example.

Another consideration is that 4 berths doesn't give you 4 belted travel seats necessarily. Layout will be important in this aspect. A rear lounge is not a good place for passengers whilst driving! Motorhomes literally disintegrate in accidents and unless rear passengers are are in properly designed seats bolted to the chassis of the base vehicle, they will be thrown out with no effective restraint.

I would like to suggest, if you are on a budget, look carefully at motorhomes from continental manufacturers like Chausson, Dethleffs, Hymer, CI, Kentucky Camp, Pilote, Rimor and Burstner. In the main British manufacturers have, for a long tiime, built for a mainly 'grey' market. The best family vans come from the continent. Family motorhoming has gone on for a lot longer there than it has here! I would also stick my neck out and say that many secondhand Brit vans are overpriced, the dealers relying on brand loyalty from ex-caravanners and again, the 'grey' buyer wanting to buy British.
You will get a more fit-for-purpose family van from a continental manufacturer at a given price point than with a Brit van, that I can guarantee. Continental vans seem to depreciate faster than Brit ones initially, this you can cash in on!

Continental vans generally have bigger water tanks (100 litre plus). A family of 4 won't last long with only 45 litres on board an Elddis if you are away from sites. If you intend to use a van in winter, ensure the water system is all within the van's body. This will ensure it doesn't freeze.

Also consider payload! Four pushbikes, a table and chairs, awning, food and drink plus 3 passengers will eat into your available payload. Given the age of your lads, I would recommend a van over 3500kg gross to stay legal. However, ensure you have cat C1 on your license to drive it! Also where will you carry all that kit? Consider models with a 'garage'.

I would also advise you to buy 2 more berths than you need. A six berth will allow you to keep the lounge made up and will less work in the morning and evenings.

Lastly, dealers are not there to help, they are there to get money from you! Never believe a word they say. They don't care if you buy the right van, they just want a sale! Better still, if they sell you the wrong van, they know you'll be back for another next year! Warranty at best, is traumatic when it comes to getting work done efficiently. It just ain't the same as the car industry! Figure on at least 3 trips to you dealer before work is completed!

Good luck!

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Stuart

I am on the laptop now, so am able to type a more involved reply than if I were on the phone!

There are loads of scams out there to catch the unwary. I'm afraid someone like you, with limited knowledge of the market, is the intended victim of these fraudsters!

I was quite genuine with my offer earlier, the Newark show might be a good place to start your search. Us funsters are able to give you impartial advice and many of us have experience of travel with kids.

You really need to identify your requirements though. The Elddis range of vans, although of good quality are really designed for use on serviced sites only. The water tanks are small and the levels of insulation, heating and water system designs will not serve you well if you decide to be adventurous and take the lads skiing, for example.

Another consideration is that 4 berths doesn't give you 4 belted travel seats necessarily. Layout will be important in this aspect. A rear lounge is not a good place for passengers whilst driving! Motorhomes literally disintegrate in accidents and unless rear passengers are are in properly designed seats bolted to the chassis of the base vehicle, they will be thrown out with no effective restraint.

I would like to suggest, if you are on a budget, look carefully at motorhomes from continental manufacturers like Chausson, Dethleffs, Hymer, CI, Kentucky Camp, Pilote, Rimor and Burstner. In the main British manufacturers have, for a long tiime, built for a mainly 'grey' market. The best family vans come from the continent. Family motorhoming has gone on for a lot longer there than it has here! I would also stick my neck out and say that many secondhand Brit vans are overpriced, the dealers relying on brand loyalty from ex-caravanners and again, the 'grey' buyer wanting to buy British.
You will get a more fit-for-purpose family van from a continental manufacturer at a given price point than with a Brit van, that I can guarantee. Continental vans seem to depreciate faster than Brit ones initially, this you can cash in on!

Continental vans generally have bigger water tanks (100 litre plus). A family of 4 won't last long with only 45 litres on board an Elddis if you are away from sites. If you intend to use a van in winter, ensure the water system is all within the van's body. This will ensure it doesn't freeze.

Also consider payload! Four pushbikes, a table and chairs, awning, food and drink plus 3 passengers will eat into your available payload. Given the age of your lads, I would recommend a van over 3500kg gross to stay legal. However, ensure you have cat C1 on your license to drive it! Also where will you carry all that kit? Consider models with a 'garage'.

I would also advise you to buy 2 more berths than you need. A six berth will allow you to keep the lounge made up and will less work in the morning and evenings.

Lastly, dealers are not there to help, they are there to get money from you! Never believe a word they say. They don't care if you buy the right van, they just want a sale! Better still, if they sell you the wrong van, they know you'll be back for another next year! Warranty at best, is traumatic when it comes to getting work done efficiently. It just ain't the same as the car industry! Figure on at least 3 trips to you dealer before work is completed!

Good luck!

I second all that Jon & Shell say..

If there are 4 of you get a 6 berth!...... as I said earlier,so you have no beds to make up, so seating and dining is still available.
With our fixed beds, (double overcab & rear bunk beds) we can still seat 6 around the table, cook, eat, watch tv, access the toilet and or the separate shower without climbing over made up beds.

Europeans give better spec for your money, bigger tanks etc.

Getting the wrong van 1st time round can be a very expensive mistake.

With kids, a garage and or underfloor storage is almost a necessity if you plan anytime away. Even with our double bunk beds we have garage space under the lower bed. If I fold the lower bed up I can get 3 or 4 bikes inside or even my scooter. With a rear raised fixed double even more space can be had.

Check eBay, look at completed listings then you will see prices that vans have "actually" fetched. If you find a van whose layout you like, Google the model. If it's a reasonably common model of van you will get many coming up for sale, from both dealers and or private. Compare the prices.

Research, research research, visit shows, visit dealers to see different layouts, sit in the van, try the beds, sit in the toilet, does it have a separate human size shower room from the toilet, or as in most Elddis if you take a shower the whole toilet gets soaked so if you go in 5 minutes later for a wee the floor is wet and the loo seat is dripping:Sad:

If it's a private sale, do your checks, look at the log book, confirm the name and address is correct and that the owner actually lives there, do an HPI check, check the previous owner in the logbook, you could even contact the previous owner. Does the seller have the bill of sale from when he bought it. Has he receipts for servicing, spares, MOT's, accessories fitted etc.

If it don't feel 100% right, walk away, there's always another van waiting for you.:thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Stuart

Firstly welcome to fun, as for being silly I don't think so as you have asked the question before doing anything.

If its the Elddis you like I can recommend them as I have just sold my 2006 130, we had it for just over 4 years and loved it just exactly the same as one in advert although they are five berth not four as stated.we always take my daughters friend on holiday so have used this van for four with no real problems.

Few things to think about when picking layout as you have two kids I personally would make sure there are forward facing seatbelts in the back I know it might not be law depending on age of Vechile. I would also do as suggested go to a show or a few dealers look in all different vans and make all 4 of you are there, sit down and see if all comfy can you all see the tv as so many MHs are bought then sold due to wrong layout.

Never part with any money until you have had the van fully checked for HPI as there are so many con artist about these days. Ask loads of questions on here its better to sound daft and keep your money than to part with it then ask questions that you feel are daft.

Most importantly if something feels wrong then it usually is,

Good luck I'm sure you will get the one you want and once you do the fun begins.

OP
OP
S

Stuart1

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Horsham
Funster No
MH
Dont own yet
Exp
zero
Link Removed
Link Removed

Link Removed

Just went to our local dealer and looked at these. Our fav was the Firenze, nice open and bright inside.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
avoid the first one like the plague....it,s 100% scam.

you will pay your money via an imaginary escrow service and never get the van as it will be on a dealers forecourt with the real price on the windscreen

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Link Removed
Link Removed

Link Removed

Just went to our local dealer and looked at these. Our fav was the Firenze, nice open and bright inside.

rude as it may seem you have 1 free post left

after that its a full tenner to the boss JIM
for a years woth of questions and answers
ooohhhh and dam good cheap advice
all for a tenner

:thumb::thumb::thumb:​

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just noticed a major oversight by the scammer in the first link.

reading the vehicle description the 'seller' has included his phone number at the bottom which isnt needed and is the mistake.

below 'call this seller' it is stated that calls will be routed via a privacy number.
click 'call this seller' and the number to call is the same as the one in the listing and would never happen had the ad been genuine

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

rude as it may seem you have 1 free post left

after that its a full tenner to the boss JIM
for a years woth of questions and answers
ooohhhh and dam good cheap advice
all for a tenner

:thumb::thumb::thumb:​
got to agree with tofo...£10 well spent and we possibly saved you £7400 already before you pay the subs.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
We have just put up for sale our third MH in five years!!

Shop around, see what suits, take on board the "rainy day" attitude, especially with kids, it aint always sunny.
If we had aour time again, we would spend another year looking.Better to have an imptient family, than lose £5000 everytime you get it wrong!

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Why dont you have a run out to us and have a chat to Andy or Chris and get some honest advice and I would add good service if you buy from me.

Every van I sell gets a FREE 5 year habitation service voucher which costs you nothing but shows our committment to after sales service

Peter

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Link Removed
Link Removed

Link Removed

The Firenze looks a good choice for you Stuart. It looks like you have the all-important belted seats as well as 2 seating areas to prevent cabin fever on wet weekends! The Knaus is a good example of a continental family van, the waterworks will be undoubtedly inside and the water tank will be internal and larger.

Do think about storage though, 'nice and open' inside the van means more air and less storage!
A rear mounted bike rack can be the answer, but those 4 bikes need to be good quality and lightweight or you'll risk overloading the rack or even the axle!

Some Funsters like skiing from their vans. If that floats your boat, you still need to be looking for a well-winterised continental van if you want to future proof your purchase!

Here's an example or two-

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

-Jon

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!