Just getting our first motorhome (1 Viewer)

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Would like some advice on solar panels and inverters? What should I be looking for? Will spend a lot of time I hope in Portugal, Spain and Italy:RollEyes:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Would like some advice on solar panels and inverters? What should I be looking for? Will spend a lot of time I hope in Portugal, Spain and Italy:RollEyes:

Hi and hope you enjoy your new motorhome. :Smile:

What is it that you plan to run with an inverter? And what size battery bank have you got? A bit more info and one of our 'techies' will probably be able to help you. :Smile:

Upvote 0

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
On our old Merc 608 we had 1 x 80w panel feeding 2 x 110a batteries.
This was more than adequate for running water pumps, shower, halogen lights, Propex heater, tv etc.

On our Dethleffs we have 2 panels: the old 80w one off the Merc, and a 50w one, feeding one 110a battery (one at the moment, planning on fitting a 2nd battery at some stage) - this runs all the above but we've fitted led lights, although retaining the original halogen lights too which we seldom use, + dual circuit Truma blowers. No probs.

:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
You may find you don't need an inverter ,they are obviously only needed when camping off hook up,and you can get 12v Tvs,chargers for phones ,laptops,etc.The only thing you may struggle on is a 12 v hair dryer as they are all useless ( apparently )
I have 2 90 watt pannels and 2 110 batteries bought of eBay and batts are fullycharged every day even in sunny Scotland !
Tea and toast along with cooking and heating when needed all done on gas.

A warm welcome to you from Vlad and family.:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RogeTeri

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Thanks for your advice

Thanks for the advice Have not collected motorhome yet so will have to check this out. Don't expect to run too much though wife will no doubt want hairdryer. Fortunately I don;t have hair! Want to take advantage of sun when I can so that when not hooked up I will still have sufficient power for lighting, tv phones eta.

Roger

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the secret is to work out how much 12v power you may use over a day then buy a panel big enough to supply that amount back into the battery.

dont be fooled by the retailer/sellers claims at to power output, nearly all quote the theoretical maximum but that is just a sales ploy.

in theory an 80w panel will produce around 6.6amps per hour (80w divided by 12v) but in reality it will be nearer to 5amps on a good sunny day due to inefficiencies and losses in the panel, controller and wiring.

most 12v appliances will have a label showing either the amps or watts it will use per hour so it isnt too hard to work out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back