Insulating habitation windows (1 Viewer)

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I'm sure someone must have done this before, but thought I would pass on this little tip.

We were away in the van last week end and it was cold, nice and warm in the van but on a night, the large side windows in the habitation even though double glazed were letting a lot of heat escape. The cab windows were ok (thermal blinds), I bought a couple of camping Kip mats, cut them to size for the two side windows, cut outs for the catches and bingo, no cold coming through windows:thumb:. Easy enough to remove for during the day and the internal blinds can still be used and it looks ok from the outside.

John

Attachments

• blind small.jpg
    blind small.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 120

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I saw an autotrail 2007 with its hab windows covered up in the cold snap we had all covered with interior thermal screens, he must have found somewhere that sells them by the yard and made them up himself.
He took them off when it got warmer but I thought the windows being double glazed were ok?
Never had to do it with our hab windows, we are warm enough and we keep our blinds open till we go to bed.even in minus 17, 2 years ago.

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I saw an autotrail 2007 with its hab windows covered up in the cold snap we had all covered with interior thermal screens, he must have found somewhere that sells them by the yard and made them up himself.
He took them off when it got warmer but I thought the windows being double glazed were ok?
Never had to do it with our hab windows, we are warm enough and we keep our blinds open till we go to bed.even in minus 17, 2 years ago.

We had no problem with our last van, but that had smaller windows. The auto-sleeper has a large windows each side, think I am getting soft in my old age. :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
I made a cardboard pattern and utilised a set of old insulated inner screen covers. Unpicked the edging and re edged them with the sewing machine. Did all my windows apart from the bathroom from the one set. They fit in between the double glazing and the Remis blinds and they keep us really cosy in the minus temps we have been getting recently.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
We just had some curtains made up as the ones in there were thinner than my briefs.:ROFLMAO: We decided to go full out and have a set made to divide the cab off fully(right to floor with 2 inches to spare.We also had them thermally lined.Ive just had a couple of cold nights and i kid you not these curtains are the dogs do dos.No condensation and no drafts.

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I use some of the thermal bubble wrap insulation. East to cut and store. Keeps light and heat out in the summer and heatin in the winter. Just use them overnight. Also helps reduce condensation.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
We made a full set of internal blinds using thermal foil bubble wrap and foil tape. During really cold spells it makes quite a difference.We purchased the materials in Wickes.

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
We made a full set of internal blinds using thermal foil bubble wrap and foil tape. During really cold spells it makes quite a difference.We purchased the materials in Wickes.

We have some of this cut to fit in the skylights all four of them:Eeek: i put them in when van parked up on the drive to help keeping the temp above freezing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back