Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I have just had an experience with the above mobile phone providor.

I had been with Orange for many years, but decided to change. Three were doing deals, so i contacted them. they checked the signal, assured me it was good and we did a deal.
Over the next few days, i found the signal to be.......shall we say,...crap!
So i contacted them again, told them this, and cancelled the contract i had taken out 4 days before.
Without going into chapter and verse, they kept me on the phone for one and a half hours, tried to charge me £134 for each phone number (sim only), and gave me a load of hassle.
I am expecting to have to go legal on this.

I have my internet dongle with Three, and have no issues at all with it, but the phone signal strength was abysmall, and I NEED a phone for work, and can,t afford to miss calls.
I would advise anyone contemplating changing supplier, to give them a miss, or independantly chech th ereception in areas you need the phone. Their call centres are in Mumbia, and apart from teh language problem lengthening calls, they use the "hold" feature to try to grind you down.

As I have praised thetr internet service and still have it, I would say that this is a balanced report of a service and not a negative post about a supplier.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Send an e-mail outlining the problems to David Dyson, Chief Executive <david.dyson@three.co.uk>. I had problems getting the phone I wanted in March last year due to an inter-departmental problem within Three. They sorted it out for me, got me the phone I wanted and then gave me £30 for the hassle.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I had a problem with them early last year. I was off for a couple of months in the van and I needed a phone cancelled .

I gave them plenty of notice in writing about canceling the contract, it was about 60 days notice. Anyway, while i was away I noticed that it had not been cancelled. I got back on to them and they said they need thirty days notice. I told them i could prove they had 60 days.
There response was, that they only accept thirty days. If I wrote to them today, they would kindly cancel in thirty days:Doh:

Needless to say, I said see you in court. They cancelled the contract but sent a bill for thirty days, :Doh: I ignored the debt, they got debt collectors involved queried my pitch with the credit reference agencies which took me ages to sort out. They still send the odd letter:RollEyes:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for the warning, I was about to go with them for a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. I will stick with my BB on Orange until I can afford to buy a note 2 outright.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Interesting reading the comments about coverage. With Three I've found better signal coverage in general than with other operators, both for voice and mobile broadband.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Interesting reading the comments about coverage. With Three I've found better signal coverage in general than with other operators, both for voice and mobile broadband.

I agree, I have a three Broadband dongle and its consistently better than Vodaphone and EE

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I agree, I have a three Broadband dongle and its consistently better than Vodaphone and EE

Same here. the 3G data on three has been fantastic which is why I was considering moving across from Orange. If the voice isn't so good though it might not be such a good move?

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Seaking to people "in the trade" it would appear that 3 are generally known for having good internet, but bad phone signals:RollEyes:.........ive found their internet to be better and faster than Orange, and am staying with it.

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi all
Been with three for five or six years, we have four phones with them and in our experience they have the best coverage for signal by a long way.
Infact I can't think of anywhere we've been that we haven't had signal.
Only signal issue we get is next to railway lines, don't understand why.

Cheers. Nige

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i will second that mobile broadband with 3 is brilliant.
however i did have dealings with them with contract phones a few years ago and to be perfectly honest their phone customer service department atrocious and have also been on the end of debt letters.

the only other issue i have had with a mobile phone provider was with Vodafone with whom i still have my mobile and they said on 1 months bill we have increased the call charges with effect from some date previous and subsequently added these onto the bill, i queried this with them and asked the question " where is my 30 days notice of these increases that it says you will give me on the rear of my contract ??" the response was along the lines of "ohh errmm sorry sir we'll look into it for you "

they did and refunded the £150 that they had charged me. i then stopped direct debit payments to give me time to check the bills shortly after.
One thing to ask yourself why are communication companies the worst to communicate with??

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
One of our Mobiles is with Three and have been with them for many years, We recently had a upgrade and got a cracking deal on line with them.
I always praised Vodaphone but since it was upgraded it does not seem as good as before, but the Three makes up for it.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I have just had an experience with the above mobile phone providor.

I had been with Orange for many years, but decided to change. Three were doing deals, so i contacted them. they checked the signal, assured me it was good and we did a deal.
Over the next few days, i found the signal to be.......shall we say,...crap!
So i contacted them again, told them this, and cancelled the contract i had taken out 4 days before.
Without going into chapter and verse, they kept me on the phone for one and a half hours, tried to charge me £134 for each phone number (sim only), and gave me a load of hassle.
I am expecting to have to go legal on this.

I have my internet dongle with Three, and have no issues at all with it, but the phone signal strength was abysmall, and I NEED a phone for work, and can,t afford to miss calls.
I would advise anyone contemplating changing supplier, to give them a miss, or independantly chech th ereception in areas you need the phone. Their call centres are in Mumbia, and apart from teh language problem lengthening calls, they use the "hold" feature to try to grind you down.

As I have praised thetr internet service and still have it, I would say that this is a balanced report of a service and not a negative post about a supplier.

Just a thought
If you change provider and have a spare unlocked mobile
Put a Payg sim in it see what the signal is like on your travels :thumb:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have been a satisfied customer of Three for more than ten years, I have two contracts running both due for renewal this year. Never missed a direct debit always paid on time etc.

Two weeks ago totally out of the blue I received a letter from a debt collection agency demanding £38.88 on behalf of Three.

After speaking to Mumbai on numerous occasions it was confirmed that the £38.88 was from a contract that ended three years ago. I know that they are speaking twaddle but convincing them is brain draining. :cry:

I am in the process of communicating with UK contacts, David Dyson, Chief Executive <david.dyson@three.co.uk.> being one.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
There all as bad as each other :Eeek:Over the years we have been with T mob, Orange which still owe me 35 quid from 10 yrs ago:Doh: it cost me more in phone calls to try and get it back :Sad:I eventually gave in ::bigsmile:-very unusual but hey ho 10 yrs is a long time and I have never spent a penny with them since :winky: Then 02 and Tesco, back to 02 who over the last few years have gone from having a great signal to shit one as they now only have 1 mast covering our area:whatthe: Now with 3 and they have 3 masts 2 of which I can see from home ::bigsmile::thumb: plus they did us a brilliant deal for 2 contract phones saving me 25 quid a month and 2 new phones thrown in :thumb:
Terry

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
There all as bad as each other :Eeek:Over the years we have been with T mob, Orange which still owe me 35 quid from 10 yrs ago:Doh: it cost me more in phone calls to try and get it back :Sad:I eventually gave in ::bigsmile:-very unusual but hey ho 10 yrs is a long time and I have never spent a penny with them since :winky: Then 02 and Tesco, back to 02 who over the last few years have gone from having a great signal to shit one as they now only have 1 mast covering our area:whatthe: Now with 3 and they have 3 masts 2 of which I can see from home ::bigsmile::thumb: plus they did us a brilliant deal for 2 contract phones saving me 25 quid a month and 2 new phones thrown in :thumb:
Terry
Agree the deals are good and being with them for over 10 years must say something, However, I think we are all being programmed to believe we are talking to Three customer services to Mumbai when the truth is they have a robotic android centre somewhere in rural Wales.:winky:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Agree the deals are good and being with them for over 10 years must say something, However, I think we are all being programmed to believe we are talking to Three customer services to Mumbai when the truth is they have a robotic android centre somewhere in rural Wales.:winky:

No not here Buttons :winky::winky: !!

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Same here have had both '3'phone which had atrocious signal problems (dont think it liked moving about) whilst the '3' dongle is great.
Also had probs with a letter from a debt collections agency a couple of years after i had finished with them for the phone contract, eventually proved to them that the contract had been finished properly with nothing owing, after managing to get hold of someone in their accounts department somewhere in the uk, bit much really when i was still a customer of theirs with my dongle.
Now stick with t-mobile for my phone and have never had a prob with connection here or abroad and i have both '3' and t-mobile mifi having upgraded from dongles

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back