What's under here I wonder... (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
My last MH (circa 2004) and my brand spanking new Ducato has a soft spot in the floor between the two seats. There's a sort of access panel the cover of which is soft rubber. What's under there? Anyone know?

Has anyone beefed theirs up a little to remove the sogginess?

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I agree it feels weird. I've got used to it. No idea meself what's under there though!

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Yes as owners we get used to odd stuff and it becomes part of our OCD like mini rituals.

At home do you ever think of switching on the power so you can flush the loo?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
in mine, there is a hidden battery fusebox

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
earlier ducato,s have a similar panel in front of the passenger seat, under the carpet, under which is access to the fuel tank sender unit.

not saying that is what it is though.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Ive got a soft spot too,But then again ive got many.:ROFLMAO: I might have to take a look as you got me thinking now.:Eeek:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Mines the same, it feels weird but as you say we've got used to it. The engine battery is now in front of the driver seat, sorry passenger seat for those that drive on the wrong side....

Got some jobs to do in a few weeks, think I'll have that panel up so I can see what's under there !

Fuse box is under driver seat, sorry passenger seat...

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Apparently...

Under the soft area is a hole in the floor with a cover screwed down. Under that cover is the opening to let you get to the top of the fuel tank to service or replace the fuel pump.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I actually strengthened mine as it had started to crack at the back of the seats where it met the habitation floor, this is what I said on another forum at the time:

Unfortunately I had to spend quite a bit of time today sorting out a problem I found - the rear of the cab floor between the seats had been cracked - I assume by being kneeled on when disconnecting / reconnecting the battery, or something like that - not very happy as I'm sure it wasn't like that when we originally saw and bought it. Whilst examining the area I noticed how 'spongy' the floor seemed and proceeded to remove the 2 plastic covers, one about 8 inches square between the seats and a much larger one that runs from the centre along in front of the passenger seat under which the cab battery is located. I managed to look/poke around underneath and was amazed to find that there was no support at all under a lot of the floor area ... not even 'foam'!

As I wasnt happy to just leave it like that, out came the 1 inch x 2 inch (or thereabouts) timber and I cut it down into various lengths and slotted it under the plastic flooring, taking care not to disturb the wiring running underneath part of it. I used some thinner pieces to pack out where the underfloor area was deeper and once I was happy it was supported I noticed that there were some bolts and nuts loose around the battery - I had to put on 3 bolts which had not been re-fitted and gathered up the 3 bolts which appeared not to have anywhere to go! I then replaced the covers and glued the cracked part back together having supported it with timber underneath - the crack itself is about 5 inches long and a bit jagged but hopefully should stick okay (I've secured it with gaffer tape to keep it together). As we have a thick dog oblong dog cushion between the seats normally, this should be sufficient to prevent the area being damaged further and when we get back off holiday I'll see about making a proper cover for it if needs be. All in all it probably took a good hour to sort out, time I would have prefered to spend on finishing packing the van.

If anyone has an X250 Fiat, or the Peugeot or Citroen derivatives, I'd suggest checking the area on your own van to see how well it is supported and if not, pack it out before it cracks - just be cafeful of the wiring.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I got excited and took off all the carpet and rubber matting,got a screwdriver and in anticipation unscrewed the cover,what was under there??????

Nuffin at all,sweet FA:Doh:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Mine has cracked at the bit between the cab floor and hab floor. I have the battery housing with no steel cover in front of the passenger seat and the fuel tank sender cover between the seats.
I might have a go at strengthening the area with the crack.
Allan

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Ducato Floor 2006 model

When I had new vinyl flooring put down in mine the fitter took out a large plank of timber from the gap at the back of the seats to recover this area and said they all have these to bridge the space between cab and body how quaint:whatthe:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We did get a 'board' with our van, but no-one knew what it was for, including the dealer. :RollEyes: I suspect it was a cover piece for this area but there's no way I'd use it as it was a trip hazard ... mind you saying that, we do have a dog bed in the gap between the seats so that's also a trip hazard! :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back