Free Member
Jan 29, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2013
I'm a newbie and I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious, but my gas appears to have stopped working for no apparent reason.

I've got the Gaslow system fitted to my van. I've had a couple of nights camping out, everything's worked fine - most recently Thursday night, cooker, fridge, heater all working fine. I'm now staying with friends and just wanted to check I'd got the valve on top of the Gaslow bottle in the right place (having turned it off and on a few times with driving and stopping I'm not sure if it's ended up in the right place) so I turned a gas hob on briefly to check gas was coming out. No gas came through, so I turned the valve the other way. Still no gas came out. I've tried it back and forth, there's definitely no gas coming out of the hob.

What might I be missing?

I've never touched any other valves on the Gaslow system, and the cut off valves for the cooker etc are all in their correct places. Electricity is fine, leisure batteries are fully charged, temperature here is about 4C at the moment.

I'm camping again tomorrow night, does anyone know what might be worng and how I might get the gas back by then?

Thanks in advance - any help gratefully received.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Are both bottles turned on? Bottle 2 is the reserve normally :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

Piltonian

Free Member
Jan 29, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks both! There are two 11kg Gaslow bottles which I filled with exactly 45 litres of LPG, I've only used the van for two nights so far, and the indicator is showing that one bottle is full, the other nearly so.

So far I've been using it with the first bottle turned on, the second turned off, and it had been working fine like that, but now is not. I'll go and try with them both turned on simultaneously now and report back if that makes a difference.

OP
OP
P

Piltonian

Free Member
Jan 29, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2013
Right, just tested that. Opening the second bottle made no difference, but this time spotted something I should have seen before, a button on the bottom of a further valve, which seems to be a trip switch. Pressing that up restored the supply.

I do apologise for bothering people, I'm sure I should have known that already - but I'm very grateful that Funsters were on hand and kindly took the trouble to reply!

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Sounds like you have Secumotion fitted. Both push button valves have to be purged plus there could be another on the regulator.

OP
OP
P

Piltonian

Free Member
Jan 29, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you Peter.

Canopus - after Googling Secumotion and peering into the gas compartment, you're right:thumb:. Useful to learn that... I'm wondering how many other random things about the operation of the van I've yet to discover!

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Thank you Peter.

Canopus - after Googling Secumotion and peering into the gas compartment, you're right:thumb:. Useful to learn that... I'm wondering how many other random things about the operation of the van I've yet to discover!
;
Lots but that's the joy of owning a motor home random things sent to try us ::bigsmile:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
When I went off in MH for first time it was to learn all about it.
Found Fridge/Freezer didn't work on 240v. Manual stated there was a fuse, but where? Wiring diagram showed switched fused spur, kept looking.
Then SHMBO suggested it may be in the little cupboard next to the F/F, there it was, which was low down and hidden by the contents.

Then this MH won't hold fresh water, but I've put the bung back in the tank. Read manual again, "To drain heater, open valve near pump........., so if I close the valve??

Then once no gas to hobs in a caravan, (but had worked earlier?) no gas I'm told, I change for new one, no gas I'm told, but heater and fridge are working I protest, then she realises glass hob cover not fully back and sensitive safety valve has cut off supply. I don't say a word (I want my dinner and 40 years of marriage has taught me to keep it zipped and nod).
But it was my fault anyway ! ! as caravan should be perfectly level she said.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back