Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
I am at the point of fitting a fridge to my old tranny conversion .I am looking at secondhand 3 way fridges on e-bay my question is do they just sit in a cupboard compartment in the sink unit or are there any problems I might encounter i.e venting flues dropout holes etc. Basically does it just slide in..................Thanks Bruce

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
Hello there, if you look at motorhomes or caravans fitted with fridges you will see two vents on the outside a3way fridge must be vented and sealed so no gas fumes comes in side. There are other options. Not sure of the name but they don't need venting you can just fit them in. These are fitted in most new campervans they don't use gas though.

Upvote 0

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
Update to previous reply. The other type of fridge is a compressor fridge. Hope this helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Bruce most 3 ways come with 2 vents,one top and one bottom -the top one acts as a chimney and your fridge comes with a extension pipe from flame at bottom to take the burnt air/fumes out to the top.At the top it has a small 45 degree angle on it which is angled to the out side.IF you put your fridge into a cupboard and seal ALL around it you don't need the lower vent,but in most cases people dont quite seal them in so the lower vent comes into play::bigsmile:
You need to couple up all 3 -gas,240v and 12v-12v should be wired via a relay so that it only works when engine is running :winky:

terry

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The fridge should come with installation instructions (unless you are buying second hand).

Also, have you got John Wickersham's books - see below? There is one about building your own van, and one about buying and maintaining. I used to have the latter and it included a lot of information about fridges, but I guess the former is more use to you.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I broke my compressor fridge and am now looking at fitting a 3 way.
I have found this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150738392514
It is cheaper than any of the others and is even cheaper than second hand ones goes for.

Might be worth a look.

You do need to buy the flue vent kit though if I read this correctly. I am going to be using stainless steel piping to an external port.

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I broke my compressor fridge and am now looking at fitting a 3 way.
I have found this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150738392514
It is cheaper than any of the others and is even cheaper than second hand ones goes for.

Might be worth a look.

You do need to buy the flue vent kit though if I read this correctly. I am going to be using stainless steel piping to an external port.

Just had a look at the fridge and noticed that the location is York.
Checked the address for Home Valley and it is a private house. They may have a warehouse somewhere and just be running a web site business from home. Maybe I am being too cautious.
Check it out at the bottom of the page in Business seller address. :thumb:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Bruce.
a three way (absorption) fridge MUST have external vents for inlet air (lower vent) and exhaust air (upper vent).
the fridge has a gas burner tube which exits behind the upper vent so the whole fridge MUST be sealed from the habitation area.

a compressor fridge is the same as the one you have at home except it runs on 12v only and needs no external ventilation...just a means for air to pass freely around the back of the fridge.

Upvote 0
Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
So the draught I have coming into my 'van is from the bottom vent and not the top one then? I get a howling gale through and thought it was coming from both vents. I have a three way fridge. I think of putting a vent cover over both vents, but won't that restrict the air the gas system needs when the fridge is working?

Sorry to hijack the thread somewhat.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Beg to differ John see my post above -- but do agree with most people fitting the bottom vent as it aids cooling--so in effect you are correct--but instructions DO say if completely sealed the top vent is all that's required :Eeek:IT surprised me :thumb:Aparently the top vent allows air down to the bottom via the left hand 3 quarters and the chimney bit only needs the last quarter ish bit :Eeek:which is the bit what clips off :RollEyes:
i read the instructions twice so did my mate and another mate who is a plumber who is also reg for bottled gas etc,--we still ended up fitting both vents just to be triple sure ::bigsmile:
terry

The link to the fridge is only 43 ltrs and when you add vents @ 36 quidish get rather expensive for a small fridge :winky:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Beg to differ John see my post above -- but do agree with most people fitting the bottom vent as it aids cooling--so in effect you are correct--but instructions DO say if completely sealed the top vent is all that's required :Eeek:IT surprised me :thumb:Aparently the top vent allows air down to the bottom via the left hand 3 quarters and the chimney bit only needs the last quarter ish bit :Eeek:which is the bit what clips off :RollEyes:
i read the instructions twice so did my mate and another mate who is a plumber who is also reg for bottled gas etc,--we still ended up fitting both vents just to be triple sure ::bigsmile:
terry

The link to the fridge is only 43 ltrs and when you add vents @ 36 quidish get rather expensive for a small fridge :winky:
I dont doubt for a minute it will work with just an upper vent but it wont work efficiently.

hot air rising from the heating element/burner will stop cold air from entering and doing its job......removing the heat from the unit.

thats why some fit an additional fan in the upper vent to speed up the air flow and increase cooling.

but regardless of this, the fridge must be sealed from the hab area.

REMOVAL OF FLUE GASES
The ventilation passage at the rear of the recess, between the
outer wall of the vehicle and the refrigerator must be sealed
off against the living space
, so cold draughts are excluded
(winter camping) and no flue gases can penetrate into the
motorhome.

The flue gases are dispersed from the ventilation passage using
the Dometic flueing system. The top, bottom and sides of the
ventilation passage should be insulated to prevent condensation and cold draughts. The ventillation passage walls must be
constructed of a non combustable material.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just had a look at the fridge and noticed that the location is York.
Checked the address for Home Valley and it is a private house. They may have a warehouse somewhere and just be running a web site business from home. Maybe I am being too cautious.
Check it out at the bottom of the page in Business seller address. :thumb:

I have been watching these fridges for 3 months now.. He has 100% score and has sold quite a few now so I am sure they are fine.

I am not bothered about someone running a web business from home to be honest. I have run a few myself.

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
So the draught I have coming into my 'van is from the bottom vent and not the top one then? I get a howling gale through and thought it was coming from both vents. I have a three way fridge. I think of putting a vent cover over both vents, but won't that restrict the air the gas system needs when the fridge is working?

Sorry to hijack the thread somewhat.

You shouldn't be getting any draughts through as the fridge should be sealed from the living area. You can always run silicon sealant around the edge of the fridge if it is draughty.

Vent covers are used in the winter (think they suggest when temp drops below 8oC) - they stop the fridge getting too cold (works on heat - know it sounds mad). Don't use them in warmer weather!

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
whats been said before isnt strictly true the 3 way fridges come with a flue pipe and terminal which is about three inches square this is the part that takes the flue gases out of the van the large white vents are for cooling the heat exchanger mounted on the back of the fridge these incorperate a terminal for the flue in the upper one in which case you dont use the small flue
its common practice now to vent to outside but most older vans had internal cooling grills above and below the fridge and a seperate flue to external you do need to check the manufacturers instructions as they do vary sealing the frige is mainly to stop draughts
i bought a brand new dometic less than three years ago and it only came with the small flue outlet as standard
if you have the two large vents theres a alternative way to flue where the flue just discharges into a sealed area at the rear of the fridge the dimensions and construction of this method comes with the fridge instructions and is crucial

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned the need for a gas drop out vent through the floor just below the burner housing.

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
speaking of drop outs mine has a 2 inch pipe fitted in the base of the back of the fridge cavity that goes through both floors to under the van as it has a drawer under the fridge.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back