Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Finally took the plunge and ordered an 11kg Gas it bottle system for £170, to be delivered Monday (should be tomorrow but not convinant for me). Already new that gas it was cheaper than gaslow, but just looked online and coudnt find a gaslow system for less than £245.

So if you want to spend an extra £75 purely for a yellow bottle then crack on::bigsmile:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I must admit the price difference and the fact GAS-it are close to home swung it for me.:thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I just bought an adaptor that screws in my calor gas cylinder which enables me to refill at lpg pump. Only fill it when its completely empty so that i know how many litres to put in to conform with the 80% regulation. Cost me £30. Works for me. BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I just bought an adaptor that screws in my calor gas cylinder which enables me to refill at lpg pump. Only fill it when its completely empty so that i know how many litres to put in to conform with the 80% regulation. Cost me £30. Works for me. BUSBY.

Still illegal and unsafe :Eeek:

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Finally took the plunge and ordered an 11kg Gas it bottle system for £170, to be delivered Monday (should be tomorrow but not convinant for me). Already new that gas it was cheaper than gaslow, but just looked online and coudnt find a gaslow system for less than £245.

So if you want to spend an extra £75 purely for a yellow bottle then crack on::bigsmile:
£179. for gaslow at Hamilton supplies & free del.
p.s. I have no connection with them , but just bought mine from there :thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Still illegal and unsafe :Eeek:
Illegal? I don't know what law you are referring to on this?
Unsafe? Totally agree.

Just hope I am not near anyone doing this when it goes wrong :Eeek:

OP
OP
J

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
£179. for gaslow at Hamilton supplies & free del.
p.s. I have no connection with them , but just bought mine from there :thumb:

Cheapest out there for a gaslow system, but still a tenner more expensive, with gas it you get free del and a free bottle of leak detector spray. Although the spray is a bit naff as I am not sure the garage forecourt are going to be happy with the explanation that you are checking for leaks as you fill up the bottle for the first time:Doh:

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
not sure the garage forecourt are going to be happy with the explanation that you are checking for leaks as you fill up the bottle for the first time:Doh:
That's my worry too, the first fill up :hardhat::hardhat:

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
not sure the garage forecourt are going to be happy with the explanation that you are checking for leaks as you fill up the bottle for the first time:Doh:

When i bought our gaslow system 4yrs ago i was told to put around a ltr or so lpg in, drive of the forecourt check for leaks.If you can change a gas bottle you can fit a gaslow kit.Only hard bit is fitting filler i chose to fit inside locker on this van never need to fill up outside uk so no probs.

OP
OP
J

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year

If your not sure about the your fitting skills fill up for the first time on Saffron Lane:thumb:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Illegal? I don't know what law you are referring to on this?

Taken from calorgas website:

Unlawful filling – There have been some instances of people unlawfully filling Calor cylinders. Any unauthorised person filling Calor gas cylinders is both acting unlawfully and irresponsibly and is putting themselves and members of the public at risk of serious injury or even death. Calor has taken successful court action against individuals for such unauthorised filling.

Maybe not 'illegal' but according to the above it is 'unlawful' :whatthe:

Link Removed

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years

Most know the potential problems associated with refilling LPG gas bottles. We are, as a rule, more careful in the UK so I've assumed it would be harder to do this in most UK forecourts. So how do you go about refilling your bottle/s? Do you bolt on your adapter, pull up to the pump and hook up or can you blatantly remove the bottle, place it on the ground and refill?

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Taken from calorgas website:

Unlawful filling – There have been some instances of people unlawfully filling Calor cylinders. Any unauthorised person filling Calor gas cylinders is both acting unlawfully and irresponsibly and is putting themselves and members of the public at risk of serious injury or even death. Calor has taken successful court action against individuals for such unauthorised filling.

Maybe not 'illegal' but according to the above it is 'unlawful' :whatthe:

Link Removed

I believe as follows... The bottles are owned by Calor so only they may refill them. That's the legal position. If you refill their bottle you're breaking the hire contract between you and Calor.

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sidney is correct, you are only hiring the cylinders and if you check your rental agreement you will find you are breaching it

I know there is a lot of so called experts out there that think they know better than the cylinder gas companies and H&S people but if they had an accident they are not insured and neither are the people near them. Tell your insurers you are decanting with non approved equipment and see how quick they respond

How much did you pay for your van ?
Are your families lives worth putting at risk?

For less than £200 ??

Dont say it will never happen I had over 25 years in the compressed gas business and I have seen accidents in companies that take a lot more care than motorhomers in the use of cylinders

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Managed to buy a 2 month old 11kg Alugas Cylinder yesterday a good saving on new.:thumb::thumb::thumb: He has another (collection only Scottish Borders) if anyones interested.

So now just need the bits to convert from a single to twin system.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just about to fit Gaslow system ,reading past posts on refillable systems (not refilling Calor bottles, wouldn't touch those!) There seems to be a school of doom mongers on this subject. Has anyone ever had,or heard of any accidents causing hurt, or dangerous occurrences when using a properly installed Gaslow,Gas it or alugas system?:hardhat:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Just about to fit Gaslow system ,reading past posts on refillable systems (not refilling Calor bottles, wouldn't touch those!) There seems to be a school of doom mongers on this subject. Has anyone ever had,or heard of any accidents causing hurt, or dangerous occurrences when using a properly installed Gaslow,Gas it or alugas system?:hardhat:

Not me

OP
OP
J

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Due to a pc problem at gas it, they have had to comlete my order today and using a 5% discount code from another forum the final bill is £162.70. As I have tomorrow off as well, quite happy for the pc malfunction.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Had Alugas for a few years now.. Installed it in about an hour and certainly never had cause to regret spending the money

Cant say as I have seen anyone condemning either Gaslow or Alugas..
Lots of folk condemn refilling standard bottles ( even though I did that without a problem for a couple of years before getting the Alugas.... and oddly it is often those who are not particularly technical or have any solid grounding in how gas bottles are filled who seem to have a problem with it .. Having worked next door to a Calor depot for three years I know EXACTLY how they are filled.. And watching them buggers even scared me sometimes LOL !! )

OP
OP
J

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
All done took me just under an hour, came with stainless bolts which is a bonus. The only extra I did was to place the gas fill pipe inside a lenght of waste water pipe just in case it wanted to rub onto anything, also to help protect the pipe from water and crud etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back