Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
There have been a few threads recently that have got me thinking about the true weight of my Motorhome when travelling.My van needs some new tyres and I'd like to make sure that they have the right load ratings also looking ahead to future trips I want to have piece of mind that I'm not overweight .I understand that I have to load it up and go to a weighbridge and get my running weight,but after reading an old posts regarding upgrading vehicle weight it made me wonder if I understand my vans weight!
On my reg doc it says gross weight 3800,however whilst reading other threadsI'm lead to believe that any van over 3500 should be registered as a private Hgv. Could someone enlighten me I thought my van was 3.5 t

Vlad the confused!

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
According to the Auto-Trail web site info the Apache 700 has a Max Authorised Weight of 4250kgs. (This is for the base model with no extras).

It has a Mass In Running Order (MRO) of 3520kgs.

I don't know how new yours is so it may vary slightly.

Contact Auto-Trail on www.auto-trail.co.uk where you can ask questions direct to the factory. You can phone or e-mail and they will help if they can.

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Sorry it's the old model 2004 700 se .

If loaded up to say 3750 that's just under my gross limit at 3800 does my van then become a private Hgv ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Just googled your MH details and according to the web site Out and About Live who have done a review it is 4000kg max weight.
So to my mind it should be private HGV.

It all depends on when the rules changed really.
Try contacting your local VOSA and see if they can shed any light on it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
yes, you are correct.
over 3500kg should be registered as private heavy goods and taxed as such (£165 currently)

if, at the weighbridge, you are over 3500kg you are running overweight for your current revenue weight class...even though you are under weight according to the VIN plate

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
There have been a few threads recently that have got me thinking about the true weight of my Motorhome when travelling.My van needs some new tyres and I'd like to make sure that they have the right load ratings also looking ahead to future trips I want to have piece of mind that I'm not overweight .I understand that I have to load it up and go to a weighbridge and get my running weight,but after reading an old posts regarding upgrading vehicle weight it made me wonder if I understand my vans weight!
On my reg doc it says gross weight 3800,however whilst reading other threadsI'm lead to believe that any van over 3500 should be registered as a private Hgv. Could someone enlighten me I thought my van was 3.5 t

To get the exact details 100% correct as this is very important, check that the log book weight is exactly the same as what is says in the vehicle, you will probably find the weight and vin number on the inside of the drivers or passengers door frame near door lock maybe, and whatever it says on door frame is what the maximum you can load up to ie 3500kgs or 3800kgs or 4250kgs or whatever it says, as to exceed this maximum weight will render you uninsured if you get involved in an accident, not to mention the points on your licence so imperitive to get it right. Also you have to tax it to what ever is says on log book, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Steve

Its not uncommon for dealers and the DVLA to cock up new motorhome registrations

The bottom line is that your V5 must match the gross weight on your plate, irrespective of vehicle class.

If you are plated at 3800kg then yes, you are PHGV and should have £165 road tax.

CHECK YOUR V5 AND GET IT SORTED!!!!!!!!

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Lost

I am lost, a motorhome is not a goods vehicle, as it does not meet the criteria of carrying goods, so irrespective of weight, why would it be classed as a goods vehicle?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I am lost, a motorhome is not a goods vehicle, as it does not meet the criteria of carrying goods, so irrespective of weight, why would it be classed as a goods vehicle?

cos thats the current vehicle registration legal bits:thumb: and its cheaper to tax:thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009

most motorhomes are based on a goods vehicle chassis and DVLA have't yet brought out a specific motorhome classification.

which i suspect they may do at sometime in the future.
all tax classes are based on weights and type of vehicles as are driving licence categories.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Hi Steve

Its not uncommon for dealers and the DVLA to cock up new motorhome registrations

The bottom line is that your V5 must match the gross weight on your plate, irrespective of vehicle class.

If you are plated at 3800kg then yes, you are PHGV and should have £165 road tax.

CHECK YOUR V5 AND GET IT SORTED!!!!!!!!

It took three goes for the DVLA to get my V5 correct :Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
because it's built on a commercial vehicle chassis and DVLA didnt know what to class it as for revenue purposes.

if you look on your cars V5 and tax disc it also states private Light goods or PLG, but your car isnt a goods vehicle either....or is it ?

any vehicle carrying, or able to carry, anything other than just people is a goods vehicle...except a bus or coach which has its own class (PSV) and motorcycles.

larger American motorhomes are usually built on a proper coach chassis but are still classed as Private Heavy Goods Vehicles.
once again, DVLA not knowing their ass from their elbow.

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
because it's built on a commercial vehicle chassis and DVLA didnt know what to class it as for revenue purposes.

if you look on your cars V5 and tax disc it also states private Light goods or PLG, but your car isnt a goods vehicle either....or is it ?

any vehicle carrying, or able to carry, anything other than just people is a goods vehicle...except a bus or coach which has its own class (PSV) and motorcycles.

larger American motorhomes are usually built on a proper coach chassis but are still classed as Private Heavy Goods Vehicles.
once again, DVLA not knowing their ass from their elbow.

Who cares?

We're young enough to drive ours and we get cheap road tax!

PHGV rules!!:roflmto:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Who cares?

We're young enough to drive ours and we get cheap road tax!

PHGV rules!!:roflmto:
Yep ! I pay £270 for 12 months on my car....and just £165 for 12 months on my RV.

no logic really but i aint questioning DVLA's alleged wisdom.

incidently, the car is cheaper to insure than it is to tax :Eeek:

Last edited:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
We've done this one before, but its always helpful to remind those who are unsure.
The PLATED WEIGHT of your mh, is ALL that VOSA are interested in.
Many VOSA hgv testing staitions have been taken over by private companies, so there are a lot of ex vosa testers npw doing roadside checks, dont ever think it can't happen to you!,

The two weights that are really important for us, are max gross weight and max train weight.
The max gross weight, is what it says (altough it has many different terms), and if you exceed it, you will get a GV9, which is an immediate prohibition and your vehicle will not be allowed to move until it is under the weight. VOSA will give you no help with this, its up to you to phone friends/family and unload your gear, then present your vehicle again to go over the weighbridge. Its worth knowing, that they usually use police motorcylcle outriders who get you to follow them to the vosa stop point.......this, by law, can be up to five miles from you.If you load up, go to a weighbridge and get weighed, and you are over, and it means you can only go away with two mars bars and a spare pair of pants...get another motorhome! Its worth knowing, that MH bulders sometimes fit their own plates, and these supercede the originals although they are normally left inplace, those that are 38250 etc, will have a seperate plate.

Max train weight. This is the maximum weight your MH and anything its towing can weigh IN TOTAL. And once again, they will only look at plates.
If your Gross train weight is 5500 kgs, and the plate on your motorhome says its max gross weight is 3500kg, then you can tow up to 2000kgs.....this is in any combination, ie car on A frame, or car on trailer, or trike, or scootter on trailer. Everything will have a plate (except maybe a home made trailer) and that is all they will look at.........ie plate on MH, plate on car, markings on A frame...or plate on MH, plate on car, plate on trailer........and if you are overweight,...same as above applies.

As ive said ona another post, gaining extra payload MAY only be a paper excercise, it cost', bt what does,nt with motorhomes, and its better than getting a prohibition, a fine, increased insurance, and a load of bother.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
its not what it actually weighs that matters you could be loaded up and carrying a car on a trailer and be under the train weight of the van.

but a 3500kg trailer in vosa's eyes is 3500kg weather its empty or loaded to the max.

if the gross plated weight on your toad / trailer says more than the difference between the gross vehicle weight and the gross train weight of the towing vehicle you are over weight.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back