Dog Ramps (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Husband has decided his back is not up to lifting the dogs in and out of the MH and the dogs aren't up to climbing the steps so we need to buy a dog ramp - does anyone have any recommendations? Heaviest dog is 25 kgs and we need to keep weight of ramp to a minimum. Thank you.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hi like you our dog bamse is now becoming a pensioner more every day, we try and keep him fit with walks etc, but older age is creeping up quicker, a bit like us,and at 52kgs to answear your question,what we have done we have perchased a good sturdy caravan step and that give's him more faith in climbing in stead of hopping up, so give that a go , so hope it works for you like it does for us, :thumb:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Something like this?

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
E Bay Link Removed New

Link Removed available at ARGOS

one or two second hand also on e-bay
Geo

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We sympathise with your problem having been through the same ourselves many years ago. We tried every possibility but no such thing was available in the size and lightness we required so it was down to plan B.
We visited a local blacksmith/fabricator and explained exactly what we needed. He fabricated some frames out or aluminium and hinged them so that they would store easily. I then made the tops out of 5mm plastic that slotted into the frame. This gave us a folding ramp which measured 5 feet by18". It stowed easily, was light and did the job for over three years.
Good luck with your search.

Piltonian

Free Member
Jan 29, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2013
I have had a dog ramp from "Solvit" for just over a year, I used it in the car initially but now I've purchased a van, in that as well.

I was lucky - and it was luck rather than foresight - that I bought a van with a relatively wide habitation door. I realised after getting it that the doors on some of the vans I looked at would not have been wide enough to use the ramp, so if you're buying one you may want to check the door width as well as the ramp's dimensions when retracted to fit in a locker.

The one I have would be too heavy duty for you, but I've been very impressed with it. I have a 70kg Great Dane, it's definitely sturdy enough to take his weight and has a grippy surface so he doesn't slip back when he walks up it. It's taken a long time to get him comfortable with using the ramp - now he goes up and down it with no trouble at all, but at first it took considerable coercion, pushing, pulling and cursing to get him to use it. One lesson I took from that is that it's probably best to start a dog with the ramp before it becomes absolutely essential for them.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Many years ago my saluki dog dislocated his shoulder and found it very difficult to jump into my campervan. I used a wooden pallet to make a ramp for him and that worked perfectly.

womblevra

Free Member
Dec 10, 2012
Desborough, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We made ours out of ply and glued non slip matting down one side to give the dog grip and carried bungeed to the cycle rack.
The hab door stopped him stepping off one side and we stood the other just in case
::bigsmile:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Husband has decided his back is not up to lifting the dogs in and out of the MH and the dogs aren't up to climbing the steps so we need to buy a dog ramp - does anyone have any recommendations? Heaviest dog is 25 kgs and we need to keep weight of ramp to a minimum. Thank you.

Would it not be cheaper to get new stronger husband! Only joking, BUSBY.

OP
OP
The Dudess
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Not ready to trade him in yet - not owned him for very long. Had thought about trading the dogs in for hamsters but thought I might look a bit of a
!*"$ when taking them out on a lead.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back