Season long `vans on touring sites (1 Viewer)

womblevra

Free Member
Dec 10, 2012
Desborough, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hate not being able to get on sites cos they are fully booked of campers who have booked for the whole season,
Or if you do get on all the good pitches have long term pitchers.

If you run a site
don`t advertise it as a touring site if you intend to fill it with season long campers
or
If they want to book for the season direct them to your Static `van sales team and keep touring pitches for tourers

AND
finally if you must have season long campers give them the grotty pitch that is muddy/shady/unlevel rather than all the prime pitches

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just curious. The people who own these sites are in it for a business.
What is the upside to them turning away long term campers for people who are only coming for the weekend?

OP
OP
womblevra

womblevra

Free Member
Dec 10, 2012
Desborough, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Don`t know but it annoys me that they advertise themselves as touring sites
and when you try to tour you can`t get on quite a few sites for long termers
or if you do you get the pitch that nobody wants
IF
they are full most of the time with long termers
then DON`T adverise in the touring campsites books we all use

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hate not being able to get on sites cos they are fully booked of campers who have booked for the whole season,

If you run a site
don`t advertise it as a touring site if you intend to fill it with season long campers
or
If they want to book for the season direct them to your Static `van sales team and keep touring pitches for tourers

AND
finally [HI]if you must have season long campers give them the grotty pitch[/HI] that is muddy/shady/unlevel rather than all the prime pitches</SPAN>

I think I can understand your grievance however it doesn't seem very likely that your desire will happen.

If I was an all season long pitch occupier then I would point out that if I am to be the biggest payer on that site then I want this particular pitch.

I wish you well in your endeavour however........Griff :thumb:

OP
OP
womblevra

womblevra

Free Member
Dec 10, 2012
Desborough, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
They ain`t really the biggest payer as they get discounted price for booking longer
It is easier money but if your gonna go that route
DON`T advertise yourself as a TOURING site

I get fed up with turning up at a "campsite" that has long been given over to statics or chalets or with every single pitch occupied by obviously permanent caravanners.

That ain't a "campsite" in my book

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year

If you run a site
or

AND
finally if you must have season long campers give them the grotty pitch that is muddy/shady/unlevel rather than all the prime pitches</SPAN>

I think it's a no win situation, if the site has empty pitches they want to fill them whether seasonal or touring. Good luck with your plight.

OP
OP
womblevra

womblevra

Free Member
Dec 10, 2012
Desborough, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
its not all sites just some:winky:
So its not really a plight :Smile:
just one of those things that irk me.:Angry::Angry:

thought it might make a decent topic
And who knows one or two of those sites may actually take a bit of notice of us

Last edited:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
We often book sites for a month at a time and I'm sure the site owners would prefer our £650 to the £60 someone might spend just visiting for the weekend.

Much of the time we are the only people there midweek, out of season.

:Smile:

OP
OP
womblevra

womblevra

Free Member
Dec 10, 2012
Desborough, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Its not so much about the fact that sites do it
I understand Money is money and maybe is maybe
especially in this economic climate
its about advertising yourself as a touring site and then being full to overflowing with SEASON long mostly caravans that are empty alot of the time,killing the grass with the permanancy of their awning and other paraphanalia.
By all means fill your site with seasonal vans just don`t advertise yourself as a touring site, so that people don`t turn up looking for a night or two only to be wasting their time and yours

Its a bit like advertising yourself as a walk in centre then telling people that walk in that your fully booked for the next 5 months

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Must be me but I have never had a problem. I did want to go away on a August bank holiday and could only find the expensive sites with available pitches.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Not always possible when your touring out and about
[HI]especially if your in the the countryside out of phone signal range[[/HI]/QUOTE]

I would change your mobile provider if i was you....

I always make a quick call in advance, so as to avoid unnecessary travel and disappointment, either the same day, or the night before, whether in UK or all over Europe. Never had a problem getting a connection or a pitch.

There are mobile black spots, but as you say you are touring so therefore on the move, so the signal will come as well as go....

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Must be me but I have never had a problem. I did want to go away on a August bank holiday and could only find the expensive sites with available pitches.
Andy you know where we are and only one price all year round:thumb::thumb:
never been fully booked yet.

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
Trouble is as our hobby or way of life has got very popular so it is this that's the problem, always best to phone first to make sure pitches are available.

OP
OP
womblevra

womblevra

Free Member
Dec 10, 2012
Desborough, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Trouble is as our hobby or way of life has got very popular so it is this that's the problem, always best to phone first to make sure pitches are available.

I bought my motorhome to be spontaneous.Having to phone up and book in all the time defeats the object
staying on one site from March to November is not my hobby if it was I would have bought a STATIC van

Last edited:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I bought my motorhome to be spontaneous.Having to phone up and book in all the time defeats the object
staying on one site from March to November is not my hobby if it was I would have bought a STATIC van

But then from December to the end of February you're knackered :Smile:

There are many different ways to enjoy motorhoming.

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I assume?

I assume you are talking about sites in UK. Never had a problem as touring we are only there for a few nights and are happy to take any pitch avail as long as not muddy, under trees etc, try CL;s theyre good value and rarely full.
Don't come to Spain or you will have a nervous breakdown!!!

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
"But if your not moving why bother with the "Motor" part of it "

Because sometimes it moves and sometimes it doesn't.

Easier with a motorhome than with a static caravan ::bigsmile:

We have stayed on sites for a couple of months at a time and we have moved from place to place every few days.

It's being able to choose that is the joy of motorhoming. :Smile:

OP
OP
womblevra

womblevra

Free Member
Dec 10, 2012
Desborough, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I assume you are talking about sites in UK. Never had a problem as touring we are only there for a few nights and are happy to take any pitch avail as long as not muddy, under trees etc, try CL;s theyre good value and rarely full.
Don't come to Spain or you will have a nervous breakdown!!!

Its not all sites just some not been to spain yet
been to France Luxembourg and Belgium with no problem
Its not people who stay for a week or two or even a month its the ones who pitch up in march and don`t move till october that irk me

Reasonable level is also nice as ramps only help on so much of a slope
Stayed on a site on the Isle of Wight where it was that much of a slope they supplied gravel boards and you needed a parachute to get out of the door :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I get where your coming from,however when I'm TOURING and want somewhere for a night or two Ive never been stuck.Its just a matter of getting in where you can or sometimes Wild camping ,I am of the opinion that if you are flexible there's always somewhere .After all that's why I wanted a Motorhome not a caravan.

Vlad.

OP
OP
womblevra

womblevra

Free Member
Dec 10, 2012
Desborough, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I get where your coming from,however when I'm TOURING and want somewhere for a night or two Ive never been stuck.Its just a matter of getting in where you can or sometimes Wild camping ,I am of the opinion that if you are flexible there's always somewhere .After all that's why I wanted a Motorhome not a caravan.

Vlad.

Don`t mind being accomodated whereever when I arrive on "spec"
I do however object being charged a full pitch fee when I am put on the car park/bit of spare land at the side of the barn etc with a EHU that is lashed up to the barn or garage etc

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
"1 &1/2 Grand for a season"

or £12.50 for an overnight as a commercial owner
where would you give priority ??

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Just for clarity, you'd better add us to your list www.cornishfarm.com We are primarily a touring park, but from time to time customers will say that they have a short term contract in the area, or have sold their house and their new puchase has fallen through or frankly any number of completely reasonable and sensible reasons that some one might want to use their caravan or motorhome for two, three or four months rather than rent a place in the area.

We happily will do this, subject to a couple of proviso's as we dont want to turn into a residential park. So we operate 28 days at a time, with a view to renewal with no problems.

The discounted rate is not a much as you may imagine, but the advantage is they are guaranteed a pitch.

The advantage to us is that the Touring Park is busy over a longer period (midweek) the "long termers" become "protective" in as much as they see some one that doesn't appear to belong they ask who they are and can they help, they know the ropes and seem happy show others and then every 28 days they pay inadvance for another 28 days.

This very rarely impacts on other visitors, yes if you arrived on a Bank Holiday Friday you probably wouldn't get a pitch with us, but if you left it to a Bank Holiday Friday to just roll up, you probably wouldn't get a pitch even if we didn't have any one staying for a longer period.

So what we call ourselves I don't see has any bearing on the way that we operate the site, nor do I believe that our "long termers" stop people being able to stay the odd night.

I personally hate sites that operate a first come first served basis, so I am glad that we have got three pitches booked and deposits paid for our Easter holiday in the UK and Summer holiday in the South of France, to ensure that we get the pitches we want adjacent to our mates.

Also as already pointed out the pitch fee for 28 days in advance pretty much ensures that when the better nicer pitches become available people tend to move onto them, and why wouldn't they want to? I would. I would just add though that like beauty "better" is in the eye of the beholder, so it doesn't mean that all the "best" pitche are taken.

I hope that explains it a little bit clearer from a camp site owners point of view!

Eddie

OP
OP
womblevra

womblevra

Free Member
Dec 10, 2012
Desborough, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We are primarily a touring park:thumb:

There is the difference
As I said I can see reasons for staying long term sometimes eg family reasons/housing difficulty etc but it is when every available pitch is taken by the march to novembers
Nor do I have a problem with an allocated number of pitches given over to seasonal stayers
AND I certainly would book in any bank holiday weekend well in advance
Haven`t got a problem with advance bookings
its when the WHOLE site is taken up with seasonal vans the whole time but they still insist on boards that say "TOURERS WELCOME"

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I think you have the wrong hobby with your outlook on life. BUSBY.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We are primarily a touring park:thumb:

There is the difference
As I said I can see reasons for staying long term sometimes eg family reasons/housing difficulty etc but it is when every available pitch is taken by the march to novembers
Nor do I have a problem with an allocated number of pitches given over to seasonal stayers
AND I certainly would book in any bank holiday weekend well in advance
Haven`t got a problem with advance bookings
its when the WHOLE site is taken up with seasonal vans the whole time but they still insist on boards that say "TOURERS WELCOME"

Ah Fair enough and I would probably agree with you if the whole of a touring park was over to "permanent pitches" OK So you'd best try Cornish Farm next time your in the UK :winky:

Eddie

OP
OP
womblevra

womblevra

Free Member
Dec 10, 2012
Desborough, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I think you have the wrong hobby with your outlook on life. BUSBY.

??? Don`t see how I have a motorhome because I like travelling round and seeing different places, I really am quite flexible in where I will stay
but if a site says "TOURERS WELCOME" I don`t expect every pitch to have a caravan and awning that have weeds tangled in guy ropes and Lichen on the roof
And I would expect a small discount on pitch fees if I`m not actually getting a pitch but a space on the car park.

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Just to give the other perspective - we have a year round seasonal pitch for our 5er. We go any time we want, all year round, all weathers and it's less than an hour from home. It also means we don't have to find storage for the 5er. As we're still working this suits our circumstances perfectly.

We pay a set rate twice a year for the pitch and when we're there we pay the same as you would per night. Hence, I would think from the site owners point of view we're better customers than "occasional tourers". So you can't really blame them for taking seasonals.

Yes, we have a nice hardstanding and no I would not like to give it up for the "occasional tourer". Why should I. I'm paying for it every day. :ROFLMAO:

The site is probably 2/3 seasonal and 1/3 tourers so there's always plenty of room. It advertises as both which seems fair enough.

Even our pitch is available when we're off elsewhere "touring". :thumb:

Gill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back