Sewing Machine Question (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just wondering if there is such a thing as a handheld or very small portable sewing machine that is up to the job of sewing denim jeans.
I have a couple of jobs to do and don't have the space for a full size sewing machine.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Isn't Scot Jimland the expert on sewing machines? Sure he is a collector of antique models. Although probably not a machinist, he sure knows his stuff.

Steve

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You are a man of many talents Gromett::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You are a man of many talents Gromett::bigsmile:

Very funny:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. I am fed up of sewing the hems by hand. Takes too long and I get a nasty crick in my neck before the second leg is done.

I am also looking to repurpose some old jeans.. I fancy making a larger pocket that will hang from my belt that will fit in my Galaxy note when I get it as I don't fancy putting it in my back pocket then sitting on it:Doh:

I think you might be getting some idea of why us fulltimers never get bored :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Very funny. I am fed up of sewing the hems by hand.

Have you tried using the iron-on fusible web. You can get it in most supermarkets but here's a link to Amazon:

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hem-It-Iron-On-Tape/dp/B00477PGL0"]Hem It Iron On Tape - Fusible Webbing: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home[/ame]

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Either that or grow your legs longer::bigsmile:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Just buy a new pair of jeans !:ROFLMAO:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Mini sewing machines are not strong enough for denim,you need a more powerful machine & you also need strong needles.

If you were in our area you could borrow mine!!

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
you can get some liquid that does the same job as the iron on webbing stuff without needing hook up or an iron for that matter.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Aleenes-Fabric-Fusion-Permanent-Adhesive/dp/B00178QSE6"]Amazon.com: Aleene's Fabric Fusion Permanent Adhesive 4oz: Arts, Crafts & Sewing[/ame]

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Have you tried using the iron-on fusible web. You can get it in most supermarkets but here's a link to Amazon:

Hem It Iron On Tape - Fusible Webbing: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Yup, I used wonda web a couple of times but I am fed up of the stuff. It always comes undone in the laundrettes tumble drier so I sew them now.

Just buy a new pair of jeans !:ROFLMAO:
:moon: Unlike some of you rich buggers, I live by the make do and mend philosophy. Just been sewing up the cuffs on two of my hoodies today which has saved me £30 for new ones. That's £30 I don't have to work to earn. Or it's £30 I can spend on beer :thumb:

you can get some liquid that does the same job as the iron on webbing stuff without needing hook up or an iron for that matter.

I prefer sewing to be honest. At least I am guaranteed it won't fall apart on me. Thanks for the link though. Superglue would do the same thing :Doh::ROFLMAO:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We picked up a couple of old Singers from Flea markets. They were bought as pure ornaments after being cleaned up, we paid around £10 each for them (some years back)

Funnily enough I never got to grips with my mums electric sewing machine, it was just too fast for me. Just playing about once I used one of the "ornaments" and actually quite liked it as I felt I could control the speed more easily with the handle, just seemed more in control.

Since then I've used one of them on many occasions now. Curtains, clothes, furniture covers and general household heavy sewing and the machine goes through it no problems at all.

It also has the advantage that it looks nice for the 99% of the time when it's not being used.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I agree - you could sew a marquee or a sail for the Mary Rose on an old Singer. However they weighed about half a ton too ..... and have to say when you get to the double seam bit down the sides of the jeans leg - doubled again in the hem - even that would struggled and you'd have to operate the needle by hand very slowly, instead of electrickery.

We were banned from using it for that, so had to do our jeans when she was out !

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Yup, I used wonda web a couple of times but I am fed up of the stuff. It always comes undone in the laundrettes tumble drier so I sew them now.

:moon: Unlike some of you rich buggers, I live by the make do and mend philosophy. Just been sewing up the cuffs on two of my hoodies today which has saved me £30 for new ones. That's £30 I don't have to work to earn. Or it's £30 I can spend on beer :thumb:

I prefer sewing to be honest. At least I am guaranteed it won't fall apart on me. Thanks for the link though. Superglue would do the same thing :Doh::ROFLMAO:

I'm the same karl, I replaced the zip on my outdoor coat, taking ages by hand but it has saved me at least £50 not buying a new breathable, waterproof coat.
Pinched the zip from my sleeping bag as I never zip it together anyway, use it as a duvet.
Have tried various machines none are up to the job of sewing heavy fabrics, we use webbing for jeans hems as well.
Well Tez does, he does all the ironing. I do all the sewing.
I used to make the kids clothes when they were young, cheaper to buy kids clothes now.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I fancy making a larger pocket that will hang from my belt that will fit in my Galaxy note

That'll teach you for buying an oversized 'phone :Eeek: Shoulda bought a proper one :winky:

:ROFLMAO: ::bigsmile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Superglue makes the fabric hard :Doh: had enough leak into shirt pockets over the years ::bigsmile: the latex glue is good :thumb: just don't overdo it :winky:
Me I am now on Tesco jeans at £3 a pair:thumb: but they have even put them up to £4 :Doh:
Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back