Free Member
Dec 3, 2012
Brighouse
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since 08/12/12
I've got a double axle Weinsberg (Knaus group) and I'm going to carry a Triumph Street Triple in the garage. So ....
has anyone got any advice, thoughts, comments about how to secure the bike in the garage.
Pics would be even better :)

cheers, Ian

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
lets just hope the overhang doesn't cause you to overload your rear axles.
most tag axle garages will only allow 100kg to be carried in them and that also depends on what is above in the lockers on the rear wall.

this will help but a trip to a weigh bridge is in order before you put the bike in to see if it can actually be put in.
http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/advice/safe-loading-and-payloads

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Brig10r

Free Member
Dec 3, 2012
Brighouse
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since 08/12/12
Mars have a factory near junction 27 M62 :)

As for the garage loading, I know someone who has the same Motorhome and they've carried a similar size bike. i'm happy about the load just want some advice or tips on fastening it down.

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
I too have Street Triple :Smile:,carry mine on van vossen trailer,If it was me I would put some d rings into the floor and ratchet the bike down to them.But as someone mentioned I would be a bit apprehensive about 180 plus kilos hanging over the backend.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm happy about the load.

You might be but it's more important that VOSA are.

That's one big garage, you are very lucky.

You might consider asking your insurers about carrying the bike inside, out take MOT expert round here insists putting a motorbike inside turns the vehicle into a goods vehicle. Better to be safe than sorry.

Feb 5, 2013
Derby UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Bike without a garage?

Hi, I have had vans with a garage in the past but now swapped to fixed rear bed layout (Swift kon tiki 665). I want to carry a scooter on a tow ball mounted rack but not sure what the weight limit is?, looking for at least a 125 four stroke if workable? Help, and thanks :Smile:

OP
OP
B

Brig10r

Free Member
Dec 3, 2012
Brighouse
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since 08/12/12
Thanks for the info re BumpStop - yes that's something I'd be looking to have in the garage together with straps. The plan's coming together nicely now :)

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Hope this Helps-- Low Tech

motorcycle-lifting.jpg

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I carry a bike in our garage. I made a ramp, slide in holder out of builders roof straps, ( £20 for 10 in screwfit), even made shelving as well. Took me a day to do it, but im retired so what the hell !
Works a treat, a good tight fit as well.
Can do a photo, just email me if required.
philipkeylock@yahoo.co.uk

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
I carry a bike in our garage. I made a ramp, slide in holder out of builders roof straps, ( £20 for 10 in screwfit), even made shelving as well. Took me a day to do it, but im retired so what the hell !
Works a treat, a good tight fit as well.
Can do a photo, just email me if required.
philipkeylock@yahoo.co.uk

just out of interest have you had the motorhome weighed with the bike in ??????

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I've been carrying mine in the garage of our current van for 20000 miles no problems whatsoever. It takes less than 5 minutes to load or unload works perfect and still masses of room for chairs table spare gas washer dryer and all the other crap we carry on our extended trips. And yes we do weigh it regularly and always underweight especially on the back probably helped by a short overhang. The bike is a 650cc Kawasaki Versys weighing approx 200kgs. I heard all these myths about only being allowed to carry 100 or 200kgs in the garage so checked with Hymer total nonsense as far as they're concerned, at least for my van. The back axle weights are the limiting factor which I never get near on mine. Apparently some vans have a sticker in the garage with an advisory load limit buts that's all it is.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I would be very interested to see how you secure a bilke in a garage. the reason i am interested, is that I do recovery, and have to strap bikes down onto a flatbed recovery truck. the main problem we have, is that ALL bikers are enthusiast's, and the bike is their pride and joy, and also easily damaged.
We NEVER strap over the seat, we seldom strap through spoked wheels, and some of the proprietory "bike aids" could cause more damage than they prevent. All in all, tis a problem for me, and a fair bit of head scratching is done as every bike has its own problems.:thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
All I do is secure with a strap on each handlebar which is fitted to a secure eye and the front wheel sits in wheel catcher.
Bought this bike with the sole intention of carrying it in or on a motorhome and knew it would get a few knocks and scratches which does'nt worry me too much as I tend to use and abuse my bikes rather than polish and admire. Having said that its acquired most of its knocks and scratches when being used on trailers or rear racks and none in the garage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back