battery fuses (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
Our motorhome is on the Fiat Ducato 3.0.
Today it would not start. On the control panel it has always shown vehicle battery 12.1v good, (RAC said this should be no lower than 12.4 to start an engine) leisure battery13.7 good. How ever I tried to start but no go,tried to jump start no go.
So I called the breakdown service (RAC). After doing all the things I had already done, he gave it an extra boost and it started.After letting it tick over for about 30 mins tried to start with out boost no luck,back on boost started. then checking the battery charge showed before the fuse charging 14v after fuse no charge. He replaced the faulty one with a 250amp fuse now all seems good. The problem is the one he took out has CAL5 32v on it and he is not sure if this is too strong. I have check the handbook been searching online but cannot find any information or where to get replacements from. Im hoping someone has some knowledge of this system.
For the record Leisure battery showing 13.7v Vehicle battery showing 12.7v good.

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
My previous MH was a Fiat 3.0 ltr Lunar Roadstar 800 (57 plate) and had the same problem. My CAL 5 fuse blew and it would not start showing the same battery voltages you have. The mobile mechanic that visited ordered me a new fuse from the nearest Fiat van dealers and I had to go pick it up. When I picked it up the Fiat garage said something about there was an upgrade between CAL 4 and CAL 5 but I cannot remember which way round it was. Try your nearest Fiat van and truck garage. Not much help but maybe steer you in the right direction.

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Yes that's the one, a wheat grey colour that I got from the Fiat dealer, the same colour as the one I replaced.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
from what i see the 250amp fuse will be pink and is a MEGA fuse.....not a CAL type, though they are identical in size and shape except the fixing blade thickness.
the mega is 1mm thick and the CAL is 1.8mm.

Curtisden

Free Member
Jul 1, 2011
Near Goudhurst Kent
Funster No
MH
High top 6m Panel Camper
Exp
Newbie but 25 Years towing.
Mega fuse

Same problem last year with a new boxer.
Dealer £25 E Bay £3?
Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Goldenoldies
May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
from what i see the 250amp fuse will be pink and is a MEGA fuse.....not a CAL type, though they are identical in size and shape except the fixing blade thickness.
the mega is 1mm thick and the CAL is 1.8mm.
The one the RAC fitted is a lot thinner and black said its used in connection with the boost charger or somthing.

Curtisden

Free Member
Jul 1, 2011
Near Goudhurst Kent
Funster No
MH
High top 6m Panel Camper
Exp
Newbie but 25 Years towing.
Mega Fuse

When we broke down with this problem. Took the Mayday Green Flag type a hour to find the problem and he then simply connected the cable direct to the battery bypassing the fuse.
Its the amperage rating that matters surly on a fuse and it seems we may have tried to start the camper in gear?
Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back