Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
We cannot make our minds up whether to go for a satellite dish or a dome, so we are looking for advice, what do you think?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
After spending December in Portugal and putting out a 80cm dish on the floor to receive UK TV ( and with a little help/explaining ) from "Heyupluv" ( very nice member on here ) we are going to have fitted one ( 85cm dish ) of these: Link Removed

We have not found a Spanish fitter yet so will be going to UK in June and have it fitted there. The "dom" will not work well as far down as Spain and has a higher profile. After setting up a manual system a few times it easy enough.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
If you travel France, are below 3m and 3500kg, do consider the height of your dish or dome.
Anything over 3m and you will pay 50% more for Autoroute tolls!:Eeek:

It made no difference to us anyway, so we had a dome. I figured it wouldn't be affected by wind, was easier to clean and Maxview are only 4 miles away if we had warranty problems.:thumb:

I know they won't work so well in southern Europe but we never get enough time off work to get that far anyway!:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
I have a self seeking sat disc but found that in freezing conditions, Ice formation stops it from turning and cannot use my Tv I imagine that dome ariel will not have the same problem as the sat machanism is weather protected. Just a thought

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
If you travel France, are below 3m and 3500kg, do consider the height of your dish or dome.

It made no difference to us anyway, so we had a dome. I figured it wouldn't be affected by wind, was easier to clean and Maxview are only 4 miles away if we had warranty problems.:thumb:

I know they won't work so well in southern Europe but we never get enough time off work to get that far anyway!:Sad:

Thats very interesting and thank you for the information. One thing I had not considered.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
At my house in Spain, near Portugal I have a 1.2 dish and have " lost" channel 5 as they have moved it to the new satellite, in or near June I think they are moving BBC and Chanel 4 so you my not get those channels without using "Sky". I don't know exactly what is happening yet but you might need to check it out before you make a choice.

Hope that is of some help.:Smile:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I have a self seeking sat disc but found that in freezing conditions, Ice formation stops it from turning and cannot use my Tv I imagine that dome ariel will not have the same problem as the sat machanism is weather protected. Just a thought

Hi Ricky

You are correct!

Our dome worked faultlessly once I swept the snow off!:thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We have a dome and are very pleased with it (3 year-old Camos 40 - now Roadpro branded) . One advantage is that it is not affected by strong winds - important in the Highlands for example. However, if you want maximum reception ability on the fringes of the satellite's footprint (e.g. Italy/Spain etc.) you will need something bigger than a dome.

I would not choose anything expensive at the moment until it becomes clearer what effect the new Astra satellites (2F and 2E) will have on the footprint for UK channels when abroad. We should know more over the next few months.

Last edited:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995

Not sure if this is correct.

But i understand the 3mt hight is only the front so the dome does not afect it.

Maybe Mel{heyupluv} knows this to be true or not.

Mel

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Mel

Our dome took us over 3 m and we had one of those gizmo's where you can go through the automatic tolls in France. It kept stopping us doing so , possibly because based on height it was thinking we were Class 3.They always let us go through though as Class 2 after pressing the help button.

Some lorry drivers got cross with us though for delaying them which led to exchanges of universally recognised hand signals::bigsmile:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp

Mel

Mel (Heyupluv) won't have a clue about cold in that palace of his with 3kwat heater.....::bigsmile:

Only kidding as he helped me with my setup.... bless him:thumb:

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2013
Derby UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I have had a 40cm Camos dome for the past five years and it has never ever skipped a beat. I went for a dome very deliberately based purely on high winds we often suffer in the UK. Have been on many sites when all the roof mounted dishes were down due to high winds which of course does not hinder a dome at all.

More recently however i have cracked the outer casing as over winter it became brittle like an egg shell. I am trying to sort a replacement cover but mine is pre Roadpro and the mounting looks different to the covers on offer? Anyone had a similar problem please, thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back