Pro's and con's of older motorhomes advice pls. (1 Viewer)

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
I have had a bit of a look round and searched a few topics finding some interesting comments about owning and running older Motorhomes. While reading various topics I have found that more questions than answers for me were raised.

While reading one topic for instance, "Be careful which Breakdown service you choose" The warning was about MH over twenty years old. But left me wondering which provider covers vans that age or older.

MH's based on Talbot vans Coach built. "Parts may be hard to source" isn't that the same for all old van's even fords. Vans have evolved much like cars have in the past twenty years, most now completely different than those even ten years old.

I am considering a 17 year old MH on a Fiat base. Now I have owned fiat cars and have driven Fiat vans from around that time and although comfortable they did have a reputation back then as unreliable. The old joke being FIAT stood for "Fix it again Tuesday". My experience with Fiat was good on both occasions I had cars even though some maintenance was necessary and to replace broken parts. On the whole they were both reliable. The vans were all fine too even though I had nothing to do with their service and Maintenance.

Maybe those people who run older MH's could give me there views about owning and running one this age. For instance,How do the low emission zone's affect you for instance. Have many of you had work done to get round this. Do you trust your vans in Europe? Have any of you had trouble while in Europe. Any advice about older MH's gratefully received.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi there 4matt.

As with most things about motorhomes so many things are variable and depend on so many factors but as an owner and very frequent user of an older van (1987) there are a couple of comments I would like to make.

I am a firm believer that how a van has been cared for and serviced is more important than its age... and "abroad" is a big place. I am far happier using the Old Girl here in Portugal where many uncomplicated local garages are used to, and still have the skills to, repair and service rather than in a country where the garages have computers they plug in and a parts store where they get a new part from to "solve" the problem.

I dread the thought of a breakdown in the UK when we visit in August... unless we are close to Sennybridge where the best garage in the world is...

JJ:Cool:

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Well touch wood, had my 15 year old SYMPHONY on 2.5 turbo with 139000 on clock. for the last 3 and a half years and it has taken us trouble free all over France Spain and Germany. When you think that a new one costs in excess of £42000, it leaves plenty of cash for repairs. Had a brand new 2008 Fiat, had more problems in first six months than i have ever had with old vans. Mind you its what ever you are happy with. BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi 4matt AND WELCOME :thumb: just my thoughts- you can always get parts no matter what even though they may take time finding ::bigsmile:Older fiats are more plentiful in euro than say Trannys.Although Trannys are plentiful here unfortunatly they are prone to rot underneath :Eeek:Take great care on 80s early 90s trannys simply because rot where the back axle fixes to the chasis :Eeek:
I have had to remove base units from a couple for them to cut a hole in floor to get to weld them up :Eeek::Eeek: then they weld floor back in ::bigsmile: sounds drastic but mate swears it.s the only way or scrap it :Sad:
There are loads of well looked after old vans around and it's a cheaper way to try vans without looseing much money--providing you don't want the newest plushest van around :winky: the only thing I can advise is make sure the layout is right for your needs :thumb:
terry

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We had a MB608, 1986, with between 6 and 700.000kms on the clock, which happily did a 29.000km trip to India & Africa needing only a replacement centre propshaft bearing, quickly and easily sorted at the side of the road. She returned and went straight through the mot, in 2007 with just one advisory (delamination of the rear number-plate).

Our current Dethleffs, 1991 Ducato, has only needed a driveshaft gaiter in 3 years.

Friends here have a Hymer, also 1991, same van as ours apart from being Citroen-based - in a couple of years they have replaced the starter-motor when it let them down during a trip to the Midi. It was sorted, over the weekend, no problems.

Both vans are used extensively all year round.

Friend's MH has breakdown cover included in their (French) insurance and we belong to Adac.

:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Like JJ, I am an aficionado of the older motorhome. I have long haul travelled all over the place in old motorhomes with little or no problems. The few problems I have had have been an easy and cheap fix. If you are thinking of an older vehicle then consider a Mercedes base as all parts are available both new and second hand. The one am running now is 23 years old and I would travel anywhere in it. What you must remember with these older vehicles is that they move at a more leisurely pace and generally are not so fuel efficient. This is generally offset by better build quality and if looked after, virtually no depreciation.
These older chassis were built to cover many thousands of miles as commercial vehicles and many are still earning there keep as such around the world. It always seems to be the habitation parts that let them down ie fridge or heating systems. These are easily replaceable but are not cheap.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
We have an old Autosleeper
which has been well maintained
and I would rather have that than any of the new models by AS
which seem to have many small niggles which are a pain.

Incidentally the base vehicle is a ford transit. 96
parts are available more or less anywhere.

on balance the older vans seem to be better
from most manufacturers.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
We have an old Autosleeper
which has been well maintained
and I would rather have that than any of the new models by AS
which seem to have many small niggles which are a pain.

Incidentally the base vehicle is a ford transit. 96
parts are available more or less anywhere.

on balance the older vans seem to be better
from most manufacturers.

Hi was looking at a 1998 EXCELSIOR on a 2.5 turbo Transit last week. Lovely van but i was a bit disappointed with outside storage and gas locker size. How do you rate this model? Regards BUSBY.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
At least with an older moterhome{pre engine managment}
You wont end up in limp mode to get home.
You wont need your life savings to buy it
You wont cry with the first scratch
You wont get upset with the first bump
You dare fit things if you have to drill anything.

You wont loose 35 per cent in your first year.

With a new one you have back up from the dealer:ROFLMAO:

No one has used the bed or kitchen

Beter power ratio

Beter fuel use

But whatever either is beter than none

And at least on this forum you are not judged on what your motorhome is.

Mel

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
You have asked for views about older motorhomes and aimed your question at owners of older motorhomes........

You are unlikely to get many disparaging remarks from these owners :hardhat:

For me personally I did not want to buy an older, heavier motorhome with possible reliability issues. I also expect any vehicle I travel in to have high levels of passive safety and at the very least airbags for both front occupants so many older motorhomes were already off the list for me.

It also depends on how many miles you intend to do and how often.

I really do think that technology has come a long way and 'old' is not always best.

Before any proud owners of 'mature' motorhomes get on my case, I am only putting forward a viewpoint that may help to balance the argument.

Now if the argument is about total initial purchase price then the case for a newer motorhome quickly becomes weaker.

Horses for courses and each to their own :Smile:

Don't shoot me :whatthe:

:Smile::Smile:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I have had a bit of a look round and searched a few

I am considering a 17 year old MH on a Fiat base. Now I have owned fiat cars and have driven Fiat vans from around that time and although comfortable they did have a reputation back then as unreliable. [HI]The old joke being FIAT stood for "Fix it again Tuesday". . [/HI]

When we were younger we Called them
FIAT-First In All Trouble.
FORD-Fix OR Repair Daily
BLMC-Biggest Load Motoring Cr-p

. Do you trust your vans in Europe?
We use ours in europe and it is more of pleasure to drive over there than here.
RAC Arrival covers us ok.

You really don`t have to blow £40k + ---i have 16 year old Fiat Autotrail --37k miles.
Just a little more input for care and maintaince you should end up with a small depreciation over some years.
I enjoy fiddling around with mine ,a bit of a hobby.
They may not have BHP of later ones , but that`s all, i still do 60 to 70 on the motorways.
Horses for courses really----all MH`s were new one day,so someone has to buy them.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I have just re read my previous reply and should add the following....

I always envy people who seem to 'spend less and get more' but when ever I try to do this I end up with something that I regret buying, costs me a small fortune to repair/replace whatever.

I have only a limited mechanical aptitude so don't really fancy DIY repairs either.

I do have to agree that older motorhomes do offer better value for money too.

Having said all of this I should also state that I wanted a good quality van conversion and good 20 year old ones are not readily available either. I won't drive old cars so why should I drive old motorhomes?

I realise I have just shot myself in the foot completely over this one :whatthe: and my answer is indeed biased :Eeek:

Still, like someone's signature here says....if you can't laugh at yourself......blah blah :Blush:

I'll get me coat :ROFLMAO:

Really? just do what is right for you and enjoy it, that's what matters most I reckon ::bigsmile:

My old dad used to say to me 'Son, 95% of what I tell you is cr*p, but the the remaining 5% is pure gold!"

I guess it's a bit like that on this forum :ROFLMAO:

:thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
chockswahay is quite right. Owners of older vans are likely to be in favour of them...

But I have heard many people who have started off with an older van and then buy a brand new one and wish they hadn't. Of course this could be the case the other way around but I haven't heard any...

...probably will now though :ROFLMAO:

JJ
:Cool:

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
To give some idea of value the van I now run was the most expensive I have ever owned and cost £13000. I have travelled up to the Nordkap and all over Scandinavia in a van that I paid 4000 Euros for. I have travelled all over North Africa in vans that have cost less than £5000. I have never owned a new van, as if I was willing to spend in excess of £40000 for a tiny bedsit it would have to be built from something more substantial than aluminium and plywood.
Call me an old skinflint if you must, but at least there is a bob or two left to travel in an old van and they are always a talking point unlike all the rest of the modern vans that all look the same when lined up.

OP
OP
4matt

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
No I dont really want just owners of older MH's to add replies I want both the views of those who have new and those who have old.

The MH we liked Is a Swift Royal 610 rear lounge feels very comfy in the back. Drivers seat is a tad wobbly and it laks refinement in the cab. But I can deal with that as long as its up to long runs and isn't to noisy. ( is that spelt right).

If It is still for sale in a few weeks we may have a second look at it or third look. Had our hearts set on an AS legend with rear lounge but that went out the dealers more or less the same day it came in.

Like many I would have an older one and not be too bothered by it getting its first scratch or bump. Having a 30k plus MH I would be dreading the first stone chip...:Doh:
Keep all your views coming I am enjoying the read, remember too this thread will help others make an informed choice.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We're only biased because we're 100% pleased with our ancient MH, not because she's venerable. Having owned new/newer vehicles over the years we always revert to older ones - there's a limit to what can be improved in more recent vehicles ... we have everything that newer ones have, at a fraction of the price - no gimmicks, 35mpg, no electronic gizmos, central heating, beds, tables, room to move about, light weight so plenty of load capacity... etc.etc.
Same with cars - had plenty of new ones over the years all beaten by a Volvo V40 bought from a friend for £400 4 years ago with 120.000 on the clock - not a single thing has gone wrong despite intensive use (now 176.000) - straight through all mots - compared to mate with new Range Rover which failed 1st mot through rust...
When we bought the Dethleffs we made the decision solely on the first impression we got on entering her, the layout, the décor, the condition, the space - not on age/mileage/price.

:Smile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have had old vans, but my current one was just 2 years old when I bought it.
I would not buy a brand new one for any money as I prefer someone else to pay the VAT and the depreciation that occurs in the first 5 minutes of ownership. New vans seem to suffer from a lot of problems that should have been, but haven't been sorted out, before sale.

The advantage of older vans to me is that I can look under the bonnet and recognise things and even replace them if they're faulty.
The new ones you are told of problems by the computer, but have to get someone else to fix the most trivial things.

There is probably a happy medium somewhere.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
My 'Shirley' is based on a 1995 VW T4 and has never missed a beat. She has only done 35,000 miles in 18 years though so hardly even run-in :Smile:

There was talk on other forums that the parts for T4s may be being phased out but I'm sure that they will still be available for a few years to come.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
There is also the issue of emissions, If they are too high you can have restrictions on which route you can travel.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Never had to change my route for emissions. If its a city just take bikes off and cycle in. Probably less trouble than a warning light coming on and putting van into limp mode. BUSBY.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Busby im talking about having to drive through towns and cities as i need to travel through London a lot, be it limp mode or any other mode.This is why i went for new euro 5 engine.As said before ,horses for courses.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My 'Shirley' is based on a 1995 VW T4 and has never missed a beat. She has only done 35,000 miles in 18 years though so hardly even run-in :Smile:

There was talk on other forums that the parts for T4s may be being phased out but I'm sure that they will still be available for a few years to come.

No worries on that score Janine, there are far to many of the T4s running around. Most if not all parts are still available for T2 T3 and even LTs.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I do have an old broom though, 6 new heads and 7 new handles.:ROFLMAO::rollonfloor:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
reading this topic is like a coin it has two side's ,there,s good and bad in every thing, and it comes all down to personal choice at the end of the day, i can see that people feel robed by purchasing a over priced recycled MH of to day,like most i feel more comfortable with all our yesterday,s MH, and give,s much pleasure to own, return's a comfortable fuel at 1ltre to every 10km, that 's around 28mpg , she has turned 30yrs old and experienced 360000 km yes that is correct, my wife and i did a renovation on her 2yrs ago after owning her 7yrs, the make of this beauty is a Mercedes benz/ Hobby, and as they say in the good old day's never mind the quality feel the width, she has it all, take a look for you self ,she in the Funster Garage, so my Advice would don,t be scared or put off with real good old veteran MHs save your hard earned cash buy wiseley and put the money saved in to your travel's :thumb: ps again that's my oppinion cheers Alf.

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
No I dont really want just owners of older MH's to add replies I want both the views of those who have new and those who have old.

The MH we liked Is a Swift Royal 610 rear lounge feels very comfy in the back. Drivers seat is a tad wobbly and it laks refinement in the cab. But I can deal with that as long as its up to long runs and isn't to noisy. ( is that spelt right).

If It is still for sale in a few weeks we may have a second look at it or third look. Had our hearts set on an AS legend with rear lounge but that went out the dealers more or less the same day it came in.

Like many I would have an older one and not be too bothered by it getting its first scratch or bump. Having a 30k plus MH I would be dreading the first stone chip...:Doh:
Keep all your views coming I am enjoying the read, remember too this thread will help others make an informed choice.

I own a Royale 630 1998 with 45000 on the clock. I am brand new to motorhoming and all the parts that make up the package.
I bought the van from a guy who said he used it regularly at one time but now had no time so was selling it.

So far the water heater was burst- repaired
leisure battery bone dry.
Engine battery replaced today -
Water pump leaking -
serviced, replace front brakes and discs and new timing belt - now sounds like a sewing machine.

All this from a man who allegedly looked after his van. Superficially looked ok. So all in all van has cost me £700 to put right plus purchase price of £12.5K.
Also have had great advice from several folk on here, about how things work etc.

So now been away twice with no major probs. So buying an older van can be a little costly, but this lot was due to neglect and van not being used. But it will be fully utilised this year.

Last edited:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
There is also the issue of emissions, If they are too high you can have restrictions on which route you can travel.

Only in some Capital citys you will find,have had no probs todate with our's, but i can see your point though, Alf.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Only drawback I found with my old girl is when at the toll booths and on my own is having to get over the passenger side to sort out payment that and a puncture on the last trip,all of which I can live with.
getting 35mpg+plenty power when needed this on an old transit with 71000 genuine miles ,emissions,on last mot test .5 on the Richter scale against a max of 2.5 ! :Smile: Fully conversant with mechanical s and regular servicing is the key.
my opinion only and suits me fine :thumb:

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Our MH

This our motorhome.bought 2 years ago, 1997, £13000 with 32000 on the clock,It is a Mercedes 2.9 Sprinter,I wanted a Sprinter as parts are easily available throughout Europe,No cambelts to break,and does 25-27/gallon.Its first MOT last January it failed for abs pump,front discs,and brake lines,cost to put right about £1000 but most of that was labour we have since done another 12000 with no problems apart from a leaking roof which I have fixed,(tiny crack) just passed MOT.Could not Justify the price of a new MH and this one does everyhing just as well for a fraction of the price!

Attachments

• newquay 001 [1280x768].jpg
    newquay 001 [1280x768].jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 31

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back