Windows 8 - Upgrade or not ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have windows 7 Ultimate on my desk top PC .. purchased last December .. Until February 28, I am eligible to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for just £14.99..

I have read and compared and can find no reason to upgrade... Frankly, I can see no benefits unless you have a touch screen.. in fact I can find several reasons not to.

so.. who has it on a non touch screen PC.. is it better or just more Microsoft bells and whistles.. ?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Unless you have a specific need for windows 8 and I can't think of one I would stay with 7 as long as possible (at least till the first service pack is released)

The only oddball reason I can think to upgrade is if you are curious. But I would take a partition image of your existing install first..

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Unless you have a specific need for windows 8 and I can't think of one I would stay with 7 as long as possible (at least till the first service pack is released)

The only oddball reason I can think to upgrade is if you are curious. But I would take a partition image of your existing install first..

That's my exact thinking.. I'm just curious .

I have the OS and software on a dedicated 168 gb SSD and have an image on a backup drive .. but frankly, my maxim is if it works.. don't fix it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
That's my exact thinking.. I'm just curious .

I have the OS and software on a dedicated 168 gb SSD and have an image on a backup drive .. but frankly, my maxim is if it works.. don't fix it

That.s why I am still on xp pro :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
nowt wrong with that Terry, in fact I downgraded two older machines to XP Pro and they run so much faster :thumb:

Paul usually sticks me a version of all latest software in for me to play with but after a couple of mths I always end up back on xp
must admit it was me who got him into a tablet for surfing though :winky: all I ever got off him was it's easier on PC ::bigsmile:

Not sure on windows 8 (He got a beta version a long while ago) I could be mistaken (prob am) but he said it turned your screen into like a touch screen ??? or it could have been me not listening proper and he could well have had something else doing it- will ask when I see him
he has recently given me a zbox that turns TV into computer type thing it may have had something to do with that :Doh: I have had comps for close to 20 yrs and still do not know how to do most things :Eeek::ROFLMAO: but I can build one from scratch :winky:not that I know how to put a operating system in one ::bigsmile:
terry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The only upgrade I've done in recent years (since moving a machine from 3.1 to 3.11) was to upgrade a Vista machine to XP because I was sick of Vista ::bigsmile: I'm always a bit wary of changing an OS these days as the newer ones tend to need more in the way of resources.

As regards comparing Win 8 to Win 7, though, I definitely prefer 8. I bought my current main laptop (HP Pavilion g6-2293sa which I'm using now) just after Christmas to replace a Win 7 laptop which I gave to one of our sons. It doesn't have a touch screen but that's no matter. The impressive thing is that it is fast, especially on boot, more or less instant on.

I was impressed enough to replace the Asus netbook which I use on my travels (Win 7 32 bit, but always rather slow) with an Asus Vivobook s200e c158h which does have a touch screen. The Vivobook isn't quite as fast to boot up as the HP but that's because it has less memory and an i3 (as opposed to i5) processor.

Overall I prefer Win 8 to Win 7 but I would only move in the way I did, new machine rather than upgrade.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Forgot to say I am still waiting for him to come and couple this zbox thing up ::bigsmile: All I get is don't touchit I will come and do it later---moans that when I touch things it takes him longer to do than if I had not tried :Doh::winky:
Been waiting for a new writing program for above a yr now :Smile: no doubt when I eventually get it,it will be several newer versions that he got me in the first place :Eeek:
terry

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I moved to 7 from XP skipping Vista. I moved because of the extra security features built in like DEP and ASLR. It is much harder to hack.

Having said that a few months ago I moved 100% to linux and use KVM to virtualise windows on the very rare occasion I need to use it to keep clients happy. Windows 7 under KVM only takes 7 seconds to boot. Which is a hell of a lot faster than it does when running natively:Doh:

I have to say since moving to linux I have been much much happier.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I would not change to Windows 8 , we have just bought our son a new PC on Windows 8 and it seems to me to be a poor attempt to mimick the app type desktop that is on I Phones and I Pads and for me it is to say the least confusing and difficult to navigate. :Doh:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I would not change to Windows 8 , we have just bought our son a new PC on Windows 8 and it seems to me to be a poor attempt to mimick the app type desktop that is on I Phones and I Pads and for me it is to say the least confusing and difficult to navigate. :Doh:

I don't like the app type desktop either but it is obviously aimed at those who are more used to using such an interface. However, I found it very easy to set up a more "conventional" desktop which works for me just as easily as in earlier versions.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I've recently been given a new laptop with Windows 8 and I hate it with a vengeance!

I've had to download various 3rd party programs just to take away most of the features that were obviously designed for touch screens.
Most importantly for me, there isn't the traditional start menu.
I wanted to open a program for work and couldn't find any way to do it.
I wanted to shut the computer down from the desktop and couldn't do it.
I had to download a program to emulate the start menu.

If I open a photo or music track, it opens in one of the Windows 8 apps, rather than the normal picture viewer or media player.

Then, if I accidentally move the cursor to the edge of the screen, it brings up various menus that I don't want, and I end up on the screen that lists all the apps running and all sorts of other nonsense.

I'm sure that it would be easier with a touch screen but I've never used something so counter-intuitive.

So I would recommend against it :Smile:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Missis just bought a new laptop with 8 on it. First impression is crap, but then I need to do the tutorial to make an honest and informed impression.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)

I don't like the app type desktop either but it is obviously aimed at those who are more used to using such an interface. However, I found it very easy to set up a more "conventional" desktop which works for me just as easily as in earlier versions.

My grandson had a Windows 8 on a new laptop at Christmas and I agree it seemed very difficult to find your way around. And as for turning it off at night well we googled it and never really got an answer, grandson still ended up bringing up the task manager to shut down.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
im on windows 7 64 bit does all i want and quick so i'll not upgrade for a while yet i jumped from xp pro to this and there not much thats very different i think 8 will be a schock to the system

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
My grandson had a Windows 8 on a new laptop at Christmas and I agree it seemed very difficult to find your way around. And as for turning it off at night well we googled it and never really got an answer, grandson still ended up bringing up the task manager to shut down.

The first day I used mine, I spent over an hour trying to shut it down.
I was calling people over, asking if it was just me missing the obvious.
Ten of us couldn't work out how to do it.

'Give Windows 8 to someone you hate' :roflmto:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Looks my instinct has been correct.. thanks for all the most helpful informative replies :thumb:

Microsoft have designed an OS to work on tablets, laptops and phones.. not a bad idea, however, as with most 'Swiss Army Knife' solutions, they do everything.. to a degree, but none outstanding..

I'll stick with 7 .. at least I know how it works.. and how to shut it down.. :roflmto:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I always used the Start Menu on previous systems whereas Jill tended to use shortcuts on the desktop. I've moved to desktop shortcuts (just the ones I want, arranged as I want them) with Win 8 and find it as easy as the Start Menu. I haven't downloaded anything to remove features.

The system will default to using apps in the absence of alternatives but once there are alternatives it will ask you which program you want to open files (like photos or music). The preference can sometimes be set during install, and certainly using the Default Programs setting.

Shutting down is easy. Just move the cursor to either right hand corner and then click on Settings (towards the foot of the screen) and Power.

It took me no longer to set up and get used to than moving from 95/98 to XP or from XP to 7 did.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I've been using it for a couple of days now and so far have found it pretty easy to find my way round, to shut down just swipe the touch pad from the right edge and the "jewels" appear down the right side of screen click on settings and then power etc. if you prefer a more familiar screen instead of a page full of app buttons ( most of which will probably get no use by me) press the windows key between fn & alt keys, . I am far from computer savvy but I have found it not much different to getting used to than vista after xp for instance, I personally would not bother paying to upgrade from window's 7 for the sake of it, only reason I have it is because I just bought a new laptop with it on.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
The system will default to using apps in the absence of alternatives but once there are alternatives it will ask you which program you want to open files (like photos or music). The preference can sometimes be set during install, and certainly using the Default Programs setting.

Shutting down is easy. Just move the cursor to either right hand corner and then click on Settings (towards the foot of the screen) and Power.

When I say 'counter-intuitive', I'm defining 'intuitive' as the typical Windows functions that we've all become accustomed to over the last 20-ish years.

Shut Down used to be 'Menu' - 'Shut Down'
Now it's 'move cursor to a right hand corner', select 'Settings' from the pop-up menu, select 'Power', select 'Shut Down'.
None of which follows logically from previous versions.

And it isn't just a question of RTFM :Smile: , I loaded a program that I need for work and then couldn't work out how to open the damned thing.
It didn't show on the start-up screen, there wasn't a start menu that would allow me to find it.

I just want it to do what it's told, rather than what it thinks I need ::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When I say 'counter-intuitive', I'm defining 'intuitive' as the typical Windows functions that we've all become accustomed to over the last 20-ish years.

Shut Down used to be 'Menu' - 'Shut Down'
Now it's 'move cursor to a right hand corner', select 'Settings' from the pop-up menu, select 'Power', select 'Shut Down'.
None of which follows logically from previous versions.

And it isn't just a question of RTFM :Smile: , I loaded a program that I need for work and then couldn't work out how to open the damned thing.
It didn't show on the start-up screen, there wasn't a start menu that would allow me to find it.

I just want it to do what it's told, rather than what it thinks I need ::bigsmile:
I agree that it is different from what we have been accustomed to. However, that in its time was also different from what we were used to. I don't think Win 8 is any more different from previous versions of Windows than is Android &c on the tablets so many of us use as well these days.

As far as finding something, I thought the search was a lot better and easier. Simply typing into the Start screen pulls up everything I've ever wanted for finding programs, much more easily than previous search mechanisms.

There is always a tendency for programmers to produce what they think people (should) need. Remember the ridiculing of use of the Start button to shut down when 95 first came out? :Smile:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I agree that it is different from what we have been accustomed to. However, that in its time was also different from what we were used to. I don't think Win 8 is any more different from previous versions of Windows than is Android &c on the tablets so many of us use as well these days.

As far as finding something, I thought the search was a lot better and easier. Simply typing into the Start screen pulls up everything I've ever wanted for finding programs, much more easily than previous search mechanisms.

There is always a tendency for programmers to produce what they think people (should) need. Remember the ridiculing of use of the Start button to shut down when 95 first came out? :Smile:

Because of the physical demands I put upon my laptops, I tend to get a new one every 12 months or so with whatever is the latest operating system and the latest version of the software I need for work.

This laptop, running Windows 8, is the first one I've had where I've actually had to study the instructions in order to make it do what has been straightforward since I was much younger and much more tolerant.

All I can add is that I recommend that ScotJim, a computer savvy chap, goes to his local computer store tomorrow, starts up a Windows 8 computer and tries to open, say, Windows 'Snipping Tool', then shuts the computer down.

I bet he'll still be there on Wednesday ::bigsmile:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Because of the physical demands I put upon my laptops, I tend to get a new one every 12 months or so with whatever is the latest operating system and the latest version of the software I need for work.

This laptop, running Windows 8, is the first one I've had where I've actually had to study the instructions in order to make it do what has been straightforward since I was much younger and much more tolerant.

All I can add is that I recommend that ScotJim, a computer savvy chap, goes to his local computer store tomorrow, starts up a Windows 8 computer and tries to open, say, Windows 'Snipping Tool', then shuts the computer down.

I'm surprised you found any instructions to study!
I upgraded to 8 from Vista, and I would say 2 things. First the learning curve for win 8 is steeper than for any other upgrade that I remember. (and for me I had no instructions, it was trial and error)
But, having got to know it, I now like it. Some things are much easier with win 8, particularly search facilities, and the inbuilt virus checker. And my machine runs faster, and boots faster.

But I am still finding odd issues. Skype for windows 8 is very different. Having finally understood it I then found my microphone had stopped working (it was fine with Vista). I solved this by downloading new drivers. But someone without computer experience would probably have given up.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I'm using Win 8 on a standard PC in the office and also on a new touchscreen lappie that I'm loving.

On the desktop its certainly less easy to uses so yes, touch is really making a huge difference.

I've been in IT since the mid 80's and have used every version of Windows, most flavours of UNIX, all the Apple OS's, Novell and even OS/2. I have to say if you think XP is great, Win 7 is brilliant and 8 is so far 100% stable and faster than 7!

Yes it takes much more getting used to, but in my humble opinion is worth the learning curve if you can be sure all the apps you need are supported.

Most apps will install in the Modern (Metro) interface. However, select them as swipe up and you can pin it to the task bar on the classic desktop view. That will go to several levels if you want and can be moved anywhere, so yes, very 'Applish'.

Win8 is also designed to sleep rather than shut down, but as pointed out, its easy to do so with two mouse moves or swipes. Just in a different location. Those with long memories will remember the learning curve from DOS to 3.1, then to 95/98. XP lost the nested window facility and everyone hated it when it first launched.

My only real complaint about the latest software from MS is that the Exchange plug in to Outlook 2013 does not handle slow network connections well and it can appear to hang the app when our broadband here slows to a crawl or stops. Technet tells me that MS are working on that but its unrelated to 8 as it apparently does the same thing on Windows 7. A few other things in office 2013 that are not quite right, so its probably worth waiting for a service pack for that.

I'm unlikely to upgrade the other home machines for the moment though as getting other used to a new way of working is probably not worth the effort for the small improvement without a touch screen.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

[HI]This laptop, running Windows 8, is the first one I've had where I've actually had to study the instructions in order to make it do what has been straightforward since I was much younger and much more tolerant.[/HI]

Agreed - but from time to time these step changes happen. Memory tends to fade with time but there were similar software problems with the move from 16 to 32 bit systems. The change to Windows has been coming for a couple of years given the rise of Android/iPad &c devices. It's similar to Blu Ray replacing DVD and hard disc recording replacing DVD recording (which we can no longer do from out TV set-up).
I'm surprised you found any instructions to study!
I upgraded to 8 from Vista, and I would say 2 things. First the learning curve for win 8 is steeper than for any other upgrade that I remember. (and for me I had no instructions, it was trial and error)
But, having got to know it, I now like it. Some things are much easier with win 8, particularly search facilities, and the inbuilt virus checker. And my machine runs faster, and boots faster.

But I am still finding odd issues. [HI]Skype for windows 8 is very different[/HI]. Having finally understood it I then found my microphone had stopped working (it was fine with Vista). I solved this by downloading new drivers. But someone without computer experience would probably have given up.

Yes, the Skype app is very different but I downloaded "ordinary" Skype which runs as it used to.

As regards drivers in general, it's happened for years that manufacturers do not produce ones for new OSs - because they want to sell you newer devices. The only peripheral I have failed to get to work on Win 8 is a Mustek A3 USB scanner which is about 4 or 5 models old (and wouldn't work on Win 7 either).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back