Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Anyone got expierence of Brit Stops? Is it worth the joining fee etc. Their web site does not give much info as a 'non subsriber'

Thanks in advance for the advice.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We joined Brit Stops last year and found it well worth the cost so we shall sign-up again when the new book comes out in the next few weeks.

There are some great stopovers for which of course there is no charge. We stayed at various farms & pubs where, although not a requirement, we make a point of having a meal or purchasing from the farm shops. The stops are all businesses and would not offer the service if all motorhomers just treated them as free.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Well the guys who sell the subs are really nice

Yes. Hmm. As the title says the guys who sell the subscriptions are really nice. But I'm not sure if I can justify the cost...

The website of the motorcaravaners club list overnight stopovers and these also appear in Practical Motorhome. These are often pubs.

Brit Stops locations are often pubs.

MotorhomeStopover locations are often pubs.

My local was approached by one of these (won't say which) and they asked if it was okay to approach one of the other sites. They were told we'd rather you didn't but we can't stop you.

So it's only what £30 ish but it's not like you are getting a much more than a directory listing; there's no TripAdvisor style reviews.

Many pubs are on the interweb themselves. I found googling "motorhome parking pub" +location shows plenty of results and also reveals thoughtful MH'ers who have put together their own lists...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Used it last year and found it good, hopefully the new book will have an increased number of places to stop, especially north of the border. :thumb:

Steve is a member on FUN so easily contactable for funsters.

Upvote 0

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Anyone got expierence of Brit Stops? Is it worth the joining fee etc. Their web site does not give much info as a 'non subsriber'

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Works for me:thumb:

I feel the website could be better
but the principle of free stays on farm shop
brewery pub sites etc is a good one
and works perfectly with the Britstops Book
which gives chance to plan journeys and
generally tells you what to look for in any site chosen.
you could check it out at any of the shows.

Roger & Sheila:Smile:::bigsmile:
Teddybard

Upvote 0

CarolynandMike

Free Member
Nov 21, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Liberty
Exp
since 2009
Used a pub stop near Winchester in November on our way to Spain. Lovely meal and welcome in the pub and interesting village to walk around and explore.

If you motorhome in the UK a lot and like to discover some interesting places, then its worthwhile.

Upvote 0

gypsyrose

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
We would not be without Britt Stops. They have a wide variety of stops....craft shops, all sorts, not just pubs. Many very friendly hosts too.
We have often been the only motorhome staying and it has been peaceful and above all, safe. We love the farm shops, always liking to try their mainly excellent products.
We cannot wait for the next book to come out! :winky:

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
So it's only what £30 ish but it's not like you are getting a much more than a directory listing; there's no TripAdvisor style reviews.

This is a difficult one, yes it would be nice to have a list of the stopovers and allow members to rate them, but that would necessitate having the list outside of the handbook and then you run the very real risk that it will be abused, it would be copied and distributed; people would share links and for many there would be no need to buy the book. Without sales this great little scheme will wither and die. A membership site might work, but I know running one of those can almost be a full time job:Eeek:

I would think getting members into the scheme, producing the guides and trying to attract members, costs considerable time and money. Being a service provider for 30 years, I can well imagine how much more time is spent in the on going dialogue between members and pitch providers, just sucking hours out of each day. None of this is a concern of the end user, they just want value for money. IMO Britstop members get just that.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
We carry the book with us also, very useful it has been. Yes you can search around and find some of the pubs, but it is more than just this. it is well thought out and if the type of stops suits you, then worth using.

You can't miss Steve in his Union Jack shirt and bowl of sweets, and on twitter, we have been getting a daily countdown to the release of the new guide:RollEyes:

Upvote 0

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Nigel&Debbie,

As Keith mentioned, I'm always here on Fun, so if you've any questions, please just fire away! And as teddybard said, you're welcome to have a flick through the book at any of the motorhome shows (our first is the NEC later this month).

(Quick plug while I'm here: pre-orders placed this month benefit from free p&p!) :thumb:

Steve :Smile:

Upvote 0

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Nigel&Debbie,

As Keith mentioned, I'm always here on Fun, so if you've any questions, please just fire away! And as teddybard said, you're welcome to have a flick through the book at any of the motorhome shows (our first is the NEC later this month).

(Quick plug while I'm here: pre-orders placed this month benefit from free p&p!) :thumb:

Ha Ha! Just saw Detnor's post above - makes me sound like some kind of "childcatcher"! :Eeek::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Just ordered this years book

Well I just ordered the 2013 book ready for our UK trip starting in June. The way I look at it is if Steve puts the time into sorting the places out and producing the book, then it is not a lot of money for peace of mind.
If I/we can stay in a place and have a beer/wine and/or some food all for around 12/15 pounds a night and then stay in the car-park/field for free ( or even not buy anything if I wish) then the book is paid for in 1 or 2 trips.

John

Upvote 0

jennyp19

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Sunny Scunny
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
about 10 yrs
Pleased I read this thread - just ordered mine. We will be putting it to good use later this year, as we want to do a bit of touring round UK & Scotland before heading South for the winter.

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well it could quite easily pay for itself; I mean even on a decent CL which by their nature tend to be outside of centres, sometimes quite remote which is OK in a car/caravan but not so good in a MH - and frequently not always walkable or with a regular bus service - the cost of a meal or drink is offset by the free site.

But you would have to mix em in with CLs etc in view of cassette etc emptying and water.

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Well it could quite easily pay for itself; I mean even on a decent CL which by their nature tend to be outside of centres, sometimes quite remote which is OK in a car/caravan but not so good in a MH - and frequently not always walkable or with a regular bus service - the cost of a meal or drink is offset by the free site.

Depends on how much the meal is...speaking from experience :Blush:

Suffice to say, in my 2nd Brit Stop year I was a bit more careful, but I always ended up paying for something because it didn't feel right just using the facilities for nothing. It's more difficult with a farm shop, because then I'll buy a load of stuff for the next few days so how do you work out the effective stopover cost. OK, you probably can, but I can't be bothered.

Brit Stops aren't just about saving money....they also give you extra places to stop when sites/wildcamping spots aren't available. It's nice to have a guaranteed piece of hardstanding to park on in the winter, though not all of the Brit Stops are open all year.

I'll be renewing mine :thumb:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As Keith mentioned, I'm always here on Fun

Just had a look on your web site - with difficulty - you've a typo in your FUN resume.

One thing I could not see is sites by country, at worst, or better, number of sites by area.

Don't be coy.

Someone here said £30, I think I saw £25 on your web site.

At the rate the pound is sinking, 2014 could be your bumper year.

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well yes it would depend on the price of the meal, but if a CL costs (say) £10 a night then you can knock a fiver off the price of each meal can't you? - based on a couple.

If you were concerned about prices for food, I assume Britstops have the phone numbers, you can always ring and ask?

I mean I'd want to ask Is your menu chips with everything? If it is, then I certainly wouldn't be willing to pay top dollar wherever it was!

Upvote 0

drivingontheroadto

Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
Wokingham
Funster No
MH
coach-built
Exp
Caravan 20 years - Motorhome 8 years
What's the other guide that is similar

I'm sure at a show last year I chatted to the Brit Stops people and I also chatted to another stand offering something similar. Does anyone have any idea of what the other guide that is similar to Brit Stops is and how the 2 services compare.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As a fulltimer I have no requirements for this type of piffle (as Borris would say). I just front up to the nearest pub and ask as politely as possible if he minds me staying on his/her car park over night as I intend to spend a few coins in his establishment. I obviously frame the language based on the type of pub.

However for all you part timers who like to plan their route out and need to know exactly where they will be pulling on the handbrake Steve does offer a really good service. A friend of mine paid for it and has been raving about it none stop to me until I pulled up to one of the pubs on the list and nodded at the landlord and announced "I'm back" (I did keep quiet about this before hand but the result was brilliant)

Anyway, it is a good service if you want to be able to plan your stops. However if you have no shame like me then......

Steve is doing the fronting up for you and giving you a pre-softened landlord or other property owner. If you are full on and don't mind asking then save your pennies. If not and want an easy life he gives a good alternative..

Well done Steve :thumb:

Brian, you could always be a nice guy and let Steve know of any inconsistencies on his website. You know he is trying hard to provide a good service... Even if you don't need it yourself it doesn't hurt to help?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Re caravan sites exemption certificates ..

Do the stops require an exemption certificate ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Do the stops require an exemption certificate ?

If the planning Authority take issue they will!

It is a shame that Steve tries to commit the landlords/owners to an exclusivity deal with BitStops. Specially as a good deal of them were sent in by people who had used the hospitality of the owners and forwarded to details to BritStops to let others know about a nice free place to stop. That puts the mockers on others who have also used it sometimes for years.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I didn't know joining Britstops prevented a pub landlord allowing none members to stay. I better not say which one allows me to stay then had I...

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I didn't know joining Britstops prevented a pub landlord allowing none members to stay. I better not say which one allows me to stay then had I...

If the pub landlord, (or any other host,) , does not have caravan site planning permission OR an exemption certificate (issued by a Natural England authorised organisation), and allows camping ie overnight habitation in a motorhome or caravan.. he would be advised not to advertise the fact and keep it to himself.. ..

I don't know what BritStops have organised.. best wait until Steve clarifies before we jump to conclusions..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
If you were concerned about prices for food, I assume Britstops have the phone numbers, you can always ring and ask?

Or check the website. My cases where the meals ended up expensive were a combination of me turning up at a place without checking and...um....getting carried away with the menu (hence the :Blush:).

This is where it gets a bit confusing - I've stayed at a BritStop where they also had a sign accepting another club, and one where BritStop members were free for one night, but non-members could pay to stay.

I had assumed that being a BritStop member would allow me to stay at places not available to non-members, but I've been disappointed that very few bother asking for proof of membership.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
I had assumed that being a BritStop member would allow me to stay at places not available to non-members, but I've been disappointed that very few bother asking for proof of membership.
I guess the hosts look on it as a business opportunity so why would they turn potential customers away?

Upvote 0

drivingontheroadto

Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
Wokingham
Funster No
MH
coach-built
Exp
Caravan 20 years - Motorhome 8 years
For £25 it's worth a go

Looks a good idea to me. Not that I want to plan but to know when I'm touring there is somwhere that will welcome me to stop is worth the membership. Better still is to have somwhere, that if I spend a few quid I will get some goods as well as a welcome. The pictures of stop overs on the Brit Stops gallery look great. Often I'd much rather stay in these sorts of places than on a site. Campsites provide a service and one which I am willing to pay for. However, when I am in France I find my stays on Aires are often more memorable and in better locations to sites. Brit Stops looks like it might go someway to giving me the Aires experience in the UK and a great way of discovering such places. I have now paid up and looking forward to getting my 2013 guide

Upvote 0

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Hi everyone again!

Will try not to ramble on and sound like a big spammy ad post. I think most people get what Brit Stops is now; basically all we're aiming at is replicating what's been happening over the Channel with France Passion for the past 20 years. We're not on any kind of crusade – if Brit Stops is not for you, fine, no problem. We've nothing against camp sites or wild camping; we do both as well, and see no reason why we can't all co-exist happily. Horses for courses and all that.

However with no UK network of aires, and a growing number of areas where it's no longer permissible to overnight, we'd like to think that Brit Stops adds to the places that we motorhomers can stopover, and actually allows us to use our motorhomes more like motorhomes and less like caravans.

We're also keen (as our aims state) to support and promote local producers, and what we offer the hosts is control over the stopovers. We're not just giving their address saying “You can all stop here for free, folks!” We are clear they can choose the number of motorhomes they'll welcome, which days, dates, times, and whether they need a phone call in advance or not, etc. Many will only sign up if they have this control, and in the knowledge that we have a clear Code of Conduct regarding the stopover. Unfortunately many potential hosts still see no difference between motorhomes and caravans, leading them to the immediate vision of a version of Dale Farm in their car park. It may seem daft to us, but I've had enough conversations with landlords and farmers to know that it's true. :RollEyes:

We don't ask them for exclusivity, though, and as for motorhomers being turned away from pubs where they've always been welcomed, because the pub's now signed up to Brit Stops, well again it's certainly nothing we've asked for, and tbh I just can't see it happening.

Anyway, I'll stop before I blather on any more than I have already! Happy to chat more if you see us at a show this year. I'll be the one in the Union Jack shirt with sweeties, enticing poor, innocent Funsters over... :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Hi Steve

I love France Passion.

I pay 26€ about £22

So Brit Stop looks a little expensive for a small country.

However I am sure if I visited the UK more I whould join.

Mel

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back