The gentle Stomp and Smash of rain on the roof!! (1 Viewer)

Cocoro

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
......I don't know about you but the sound of rain on the roof lost it's romantic 'life under the stars' appeal a very, very long time ago! Especially when parked under trees! Third night now and each evening the storm rolls in, the wind picks up and the heavens dump they're wet, noisy load upon me. Yes, it feels as bad as that unintended euphemism sounds.

Thinking of covering the roof with rubbery foam tomorrow!!! And those roof lights!!!!!!

Is it just me? :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Buy an American RV....

Most have "Rubber roofs.... :winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
When I built mine I used two part polyurethane foam. This bonded strongly to the bare metal of the roof. I now love the drumming sound of the rain on the roof and I do seem to get a better nights sleep when it rains:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'm lying in bed listening to the rain at the moment.
I've even opened the window a little so that the rain occasionally blows in, coldly refreshing on my face.

I still love it as much as I did when I was a little kid, tucked up warm inside a tent.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I love it.

I was in a huge thunder storm parked under a tree near Le Mans once though when I didn't love it quite as much.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
......I don't know about you but the sound of rain on the roof lost it's romantic 'life under the stars' appeal a very, very long time ago! Especially when parked under trees! Third night now and each evening the storm rolls in, the wind picks up and the heavens dump they're wet, noisy load upon me. Yes, it feels as bad as that unintended euphemism sounds.

Thinking of covering the roof with rubbery foam tomorrow!!! And those roof lights!!!!!!

Is it just me? :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I feel yer pain :Sad:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Love it ... and seem to sleep much better when I hear the noise , and just like Thehutchies it reminds me all these years under my tent as a child first then in my parents caravan and then as an adult with my children under the tent again. I too go under the duvet and like to feel fresh air on my face ... well that's when my big teddy bear allows, ...in summer...in winter I have to forget it :RollEyes:::bigsmile:

Amicalement

Frankie

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Nope, sorry, Cocoro, but I'm another who still loves it. Not so keen on the wind buffeting the van, though.

Steve :Smile:

PS Only very slightly off topic (and don't want to give anyone ideas at rallies) but has anyone actually seen the old early morning "bread crumbs on the van roof" trick attract masses of birds all hammering on the roof at once? Or is it just an urban myth?

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Its lost its appeal to me as will after 5 years fulfilling, i wear ear plugs now when its pouring down and hate getting under trees when its raining, even mist gathers on branches and seem to dump it on our roof all at once.
Grrrr.

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
PS Only very slightly off topic (and don't want to give anyone ideas at rallies) but has anyone actually seen the old early morning "bread crumbs on the van roof" trick attract masses of birds all hammering on the roof at once? Or is it just an urban myth?

This was a favourite trick, but with boats instead of vans, when on the Norfolk Broads. Quite an unpleasant "joke" really (I'm ashamed to admit) as in addition to the noise of their beaks on the roof the ducks (and geese, even worse) used to deposit nasty, slimy droppings all over the decks.

Only ever did it to friends though! :winky:

OP
OP
C

Cocoro

Free Member
Nov 5, 2011
Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2003
Far too many romantics on this site..........

Some light rain, a gentle pitter patter of moisture on the roof is ok. I agree, it can be quiet soothing. But real rain, incessant rain, rain that collects on trees which the wind dumps on you is the kind I"m talking about. I too wear ear plugs. In fact, I wear them ('wear' them?) if there is noise or not. But this rain the last three nights laughs at ear plugs!

My last Hymer had 30mm thick walls and roof. This thing has 48mm! I vainly thought maybeee it'll make a difference. Nope! Hard rain is hard rain. Perhaps the pace of the last four weeks is catching up on me. I"m not taking it easy enough after the operation so I"m extra tired. But boy! when someone invents an umbrella for vans, my order is going in!

On the ear plugs thang, I started using them when wild camping believe it or not. I was so jumpy about every little noise that I wasn't getting any sleep. I decided in the end that it was better not to hear those faint footsteps, scratching noiese or coughs from outside so I took the opposing position of being alert and ready for anything and 'plugged' them out. I slept much better from then on. Simples.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back