Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Had problems with my PC recently & have pinned it down to a corrupt file in windows. :cry:
My first thought was to run System Recovery which re-installed the laptop back to it's original settings. However the file is still corrupt as when I start the computer it offers to start XP Home Edition or Windows (default), & wont start XP as each time I try I get the same message.
'Windows could not start because the file below is missing or corrupt
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll'

The file is still there so it must be corrupted. It is 129 KB & a Application Extension.

Anyone any ideas :Eeek:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
American Dream is your man hes a wizz !:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Have you tried going for a new installation and going for the repair option. (Not the r repair console option)Just keep going for the new install and IGNORE the repair console option.
The install searches for previous installations of Windows.

Then it should offer a repair option in the menu.

Do not go for a clean installation or delete or format the drive OR YOU WILL LOSE ALL OF YOUR DATA.

Last edited:
OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Have you tried going for a new installation and going for the repair option. (Not the r repair console option)Just keep going for the new install and IGNORE the repair console option.
The install searches for previous installations of Windows.

Then it should offer a repair option in the menu.

Do not go for a clean installation or delete or format the drive OR YOU WILL LOSE ALL OF YOUR DATA.

Have tried all these options Steve (but did back up my files first) but still the message comes up. My be a hard drive problem. :Sad:

T

totalynutz

Deleted User
i think you may have a problem with the boot.ini file if the reinstall did not fix it
it could be either corroupt ,damaged or it is pointing the stratup ot look in wrong location .
The easiest way to fix this is to boot to the Recovery Console and replace the old
boot.ini with a new one. Once you have booted to the Recovery Console run these commands at
the prompt:Attrib -H -R -S C:boot.ini   (This removes the attributes and allows deletion).
DEL C:boot.ini                  (Deletes the corrupted boot.ini
file)Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
BootCfg /Rebuild                (Recreates the new boot.ini file)If you would like
to view the boot.ini file, you will need a boot disk to get to the DOS prompt. If you have formatted
with FAT32, then you may use a Windows boot disk (such as a W98 disk), but if you are running
NTFS, you will need a NTFS reader boot disk, such as NTFS Reader For DOS
To diagnose the problem, copy the boot.ini file from the hard drive (C:boot.ini) and
open it with Notepad. You will want to verify that the "Default=" line as well as the ARC path line
are pointing to the right location

this may be an eaier way of doing it

1. Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.
2. At the first R=Repair option, press the "R" key
3. Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair.
4. Typically this will be #1
5. Type "bootcfg /list" to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file
6. Type "bootcfg /rebuild" to repair it
7. Take out the CD ROM and type "exit" If that doesn't work just press restart button on your PC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Keith!
Is it a laptop or a tower PC!
If its a tower you could always hook it up to another PC as a slave drive and repair it using the the other PCs operating system!
If its a Laptop you can buy the lead kit that allows you to do the same!
I don't think its too expensive and always handy!
Its just a thought!

PS! windowsxpcentral

The guys at this site are experts at this kind of thing!

Last edited:
OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Keith!
Is it a laptop or a tower PC!
If its a tower you could always hook it up to another PC as a slave drive and repair it using the the other PCs operating system!
If its a Laptop you can buy the lead kit that allows you to do the same!
I don't think its too expensive and always handy!
Its just a thought!

PS! windowsxpcentral

The guys at this site are experts at this kind of thing!

Only got one computer unfortunatly, a laptop so no chance at the moment but I will keep that in mind.

Going to look at that site after the quiz.:thumb:

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Only got one computer unfortunatly, a laptop so no chance at the moment but I will keep that in mind.

Going to look at that site after the quiz.:thumb:
To be honest!
I don't like recommending things but i have been a member of XP central since i bought a computer!
I learned so much so fast!
Even just reading the posts!
If its XP orientated these people are on the ball!
The dictionary would have to invent a new word to explain how good i have found their help and devotion to helping anyone!
They really go out of their way to help you!
Pretty much like the people i have seen on this site!
Awwww!:ROFLMAO:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Have you tried these commands from the recovery console?

If you suspect a hard disk problem... go to recovery console....command prompt.

CHKDSK is one of the more popular commands that you will come across in XP and 2000. For boot problems you should always try the "CHKDSK /F" (Within Operating System) or "CHKDSK /P" (Outside Operating System (Recovery Console)) option first before you go about reinstalling or repairing Windows.

Other CHKDSK options can be found by typing "CHKDSK /?"​

Run the full scan.​

Then it it still does not run...........Try the 2 following commands, again from the recovery console.​

fixboot (drive)
drive = This is the drive that a boot sector will be written to and will replace the system partition that you're currently logged on to. If no drive is specified, the boot sector will be written to the system partition that you're currently logged on to.

Fixboot Command Examples:
fixboot c:
In the above example, the boot sector is written to the partition that's currently labeled as the C: drive - most likely the partition you are currently logged on to. If that is the case, this command could be run without the c: option.

or

Fixmbr Command Syntax: fixmbr (device_name)
device_name = This is where you designate the exact drive location that a master boot record will be written to. If no device is specified, the master boot record will be written to the primary boot drive.

Fixmbr Command Examples:
fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0
In the above example, the master boot record is written to the drive located at \Device\HardDisk0.
fixmbr
In this example, the master boot record is written to the device that your primary system is loaded onto. If you have a single installation of Windows installed, which is normally the case, running the fixmbr command in this way is usually the right way to go.

If it still doesnt work ... Install windows xp on the C:\ by overwriting the original installation. Not deleting the partition.Your data will still be there but applications and Microsoft updates will have to be reinstalled.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back