How often do you need to get something repaired? (1 Viewer)

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Having recently retired, I need to keep track of spending, and would like to allocate a budget for repairs to our MH. They are complex beasts, with lots to go wrong, and I'm at a bit of a loss to know how much I should reckon on per year.

We seem to have done pretty well so far with ours - had it 18 months and the only repair costs so far have been a cambelt replacement, a new leisure battery, and new habitation door hinges - total so far about £360.00. That equates to about £240.00 per annum which doesn't seem very much to me.

Obviously the age of the MH is a major factor, but given ours is 11 years old what do you all reckon I ought to allow for a repairs budget? I'm not counting for "consumables" like tyres, servicing etc. - that's covered separately - just thing's wot may break and need repair/replacement.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
In 6 yrs since converting the van I have spent nothing on replacment parts for the conversion side :thumb:
New cam belt and pulleys etc aprox £150 fitted
service and test £120 per yr with exception yr before last when it failed test on brake sensor (nightmare to diagnose) £140 inc a large socket :winky:::bigsmile:
6 new wheels and tyres @ £60 each = 240 did not need them but could not afford to miss for the money :thumb:
Spare engine and gearbox plus pumps turbo etc £300 again don't need but at the money :winky:
£25 to have Alternator fitted from the above ::bigsmile: but got a fiver back for old alternater ::bigsmile:
I AM DUE TO REPLACE SOME RUBBER GAS PIPE this yr again due to age rather than need :thumb::Smile:
forgot £6 to change spots to led bulbs :Smile:
terry

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Always fixing, modifying or changing something.. Would get bored if I didn't..
As I do pretty much everything myself I have NO idea of costs.. sorry .. not a lot of help really ! :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We were unlucky with our Autoquest in that a power steering problem necessitated a new steering rack but apart from that the only repair was a broken hab door hinge. We've had to have a wheel bearing replaced on the Burstner a few weeks ago but it's nearly 10 years old so not something that worries us.

I would class cam belt replacement like tyre replacement, a necessity from time to time. We had it done on the Autoquest and made sure it was done on the Burstner as part of the purchase at no extra cost to us. I don't count "voluntary" things like LED bulbs.

Of course, calculations can all go out of the window if Asda get to close :roflmto:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
On our current van we haven't spent a great deal apart from yearly servicing and the odd wee extra. When we bought the mh Lorraine set up an account that we pay into every month and this is to cover any unforeseen expenses so far not needed to touch it so we use it towards our annual holiday. Picking new to us van on Wednesday and hopefully won't need to spend much on it as it has most of the things we where looking for.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
On our current van we haven't spent a great deal apart from yearly servicing and the odd wee extra. When we bought the mh Lorraine set up an account that we pay into every month and this is to cover any unforeseen expenses so far not needed to touch it so we use it towards our annual holiday. Picking new to us van on Wednesday and hopefully won't need to spend much on it as it has most of the things we where looking for.

Looking forward to the pics Gerry :thumb: make sure everything works before leaving :winky:::bigsmile:
Terry

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Looking forward to the pics Gerry :thumb: make sure everything works before leaving :winky:::bigsmile:
Terry

I'm staying on site overnight at their request Terry we where hoping to go down at the weekend as Lorraine is off, dealers didn't want that just incase we do have any faults as their workshop isn't open weekends. So will be spending the night on my own :ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Never spent a penny on the first couple. This one though has been a money pit. £1000 per year on MOT's X 2. The fridge broke (ok I did it). The toilet has broken as has the bathroom sink. Almost £500 on those three items alone..

:cry:

But over 8 years that works out at £312.50 per year.

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Bit like how long is a piece of string:Smile:

Swiftroy1

Free Member
Jan 3, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Mine's 18 this year and I've owned her for 9 years. I've spent about £ 15 on a shower hose. £5 for a new gas initiator for the hob. Those have been the only things that needed replacing but I've had regular servicing, replacement tyres, cambelt and bed-foam plus the usual consumables.:Smile:

Tibs

Free Member
May 22, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Tstar680
Exp
I'm a newbie
Originally posted by Terry

'forgot £6 to change spots to led bulbs'

6quid!!! Blimey :Eeek:where do you get your LED bulbs from?

Please tell:thumb:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Virtually nothing NEEDED other than service items.
Plenty spent on upgrades/mods though.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Originally posted by Terry

'forgot £6 to change spots to led bulbs'

6quid!!! Blimey :Eeek:where do you get your LED bulbs from?

Please tell:thumb:

Ebay :thumb:quid each inc p and p :winky:--bought 2 more last week for spares but they cost me 2 quid each :Doh:waiting for delivery from China, first lot came after 48 hrs:thumb:
Terry

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Always fixing, modifying or changing something.. Would get bored if I didn't..
As I do pretty much everything myself I have NO idea of costs.. sorry .. not a lot of help really ! :Doh:
Same here! I have mine parked inside in work and i look for jobs to do on it ,always some thing to update/fix.
Next is to out the old oven and grille (don`t seem to use it), fit a second fridge in it`s space, and a combi/convection microwave and - make it look nice:thumb:

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
Had my MH 16 months now, in that time....

toilet pump died,
toilet flush plastic lever broke,
leisure battery gave up,
Eberspacher heater died,
water pump sprung a leaked,
taps leaked,
gas regulator started leaking,
water tank sprung a leak,
heater ducting cracked,
heater exhaust snapped,
steering rack failed MOT,
screen washers died,
door lock levers fell off - both doors,
window winder fell off and got lost,
3 tyres slashed,
roof rack hit an overhanging road side tree and snapped,
fridge stopped cooling,
and some more things I can't remember at this moment.....

All the above needed replacing or repairing.

But apart from that it's been reliable, we have not had a single problem with the oven or the hob ...

Over £1000 so far but not 100% sure as after a while you give up counting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back