Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
I have just been connecting up my new solar panal

On the control unit there are connection points for solar in +-, Battery +-,
and the one that is confusing me Load +-

Now then, does this mean I have to, disconnect the cables to the battery, run the cables from the controller to the battery and connect the cables that were connected to the battery to the Load connections on the controller or just connect direct from the controller to the battery with no wireing to the load connection

Also there is no mention in the somewhat basic instruction as to a fuse being fitted. If this is needed, where would it go ?

Thanks
Chris

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I ignored the load and mine works fine, just make sure your controller is as close to the batteries as poss ok:thumb:

My controller has a fuse, but if yours hasn't then always best to err on the side of caution and put your own in

Last edited:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Hi,
I run my alarm from my leisure batteries and also this output. Less load on the vehicle battery especially at this time of the year where max is required in cold weather. Generally I now find that the leisure batteries are kept fully charged where in the past I have needed to remove them and charge so I think the solar panel has been a good investment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
and the one that is confusing me Load +-
Thanks
Chris

I think load is a low(ish) current output that will get switched off if the battery dips too low. It's for simple lighting in caravan/boat where there is no proper control panel or maybe for something like a remote alarm or cattle fence.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
When it comes to fuses I operate under the simple rule.
If it generates a voltage fuse it as close to the source.

So I have two fuses in the cable that goes from the solar charger to the battery. One at each end.

If the solar charger goes duff (Short circuit) I want to protect the cables from the current the batteries can produce.

If the cables get their insulation damaged for whatever reason I want both battery and charger to be fused to that I don't get any short circuit current from either.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
What you describe as the Load connectors are unused in my MH, but can be used (as others have suggested) for another 12v gadget if you wish. My charge controller has a light bulb symbol next to the load connectors, which seems a bit silly given that I'm unlikely to need a light when the panel's working in sunny conditions.

However, when I set up a simple solar to 12v battery circuit in my garden shed to provide 12v trickle charging for small gadgets I used the load connectors to link to a rechargeable 12v LED torch and that worked fine.

Another suggestion is to use the load connectors for a small LCD voltage monitor so you can see what actual voltage is flowing through the circuit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My charge controller has a light bulb symbol next to the load connectors, which seems a bit silly given that I'm unlikely to need a light when the panel's working in sunny conditions.

The load will be on whenever the battery voltage is above a safe level, probably trips off at 11.5V. There may be an option to switch the load off, on the controller, to use it as a light switch.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have a re chargeable torch wired up to the "Load" on my controler and as Brian has suggested it charges the torch when the leisure batteries are full, as they drop to 11.5v in use the torch charging is switched off automatically and all solar current goes to the batteries again till they are full,
You cant really rely on the Load output for anything vital such as lighting because when the batteries are low the Lighting from the Load connection wont work
There is on my charger the option to turn off this Load section::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back