Free Member
Aug 15, 2011
Fairburn North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Hi all, can any of you funsters tell me which is the best route to Portugal Calais and through France/Spain or Santander through Spain assuming i am a poor sailer and i have heard that the bay of biscay is bad :Sad:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
As Idon't know where Fairburn is, I can only tell you of my experience. Ferry to Santander, was marvellous, mind you, both of us have sailed around the world in merchant ships so "sail well"

I could of course tell you of spending a fortnight on one wave in the Bay of Biscay, one week up and the other down!But that would be BS:RollEyes:

We have also sailed from Plymouth (our nearest cross channel port) to Roscoff. then journyed down to Spain (we took our time, 16 days) and that was also fairly stress free, as we missed Paris and environs, Nantes was a little bitty stressful, but nothing compared with Gay Paris!.

Pros and cons either way I suppose, depends how you look at life :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi all, can any of you funsters tell me which is the best route to Portugal Calais and through France/Spain or Santander through Spain assuming i am a poor sailer and i have heard that the bay of biscay is bad :Sad:

Cost wise there's not much in it, depends on low season or high season fares.

Time wise a huge saving in time and stress going Santander.

We've never had a bad crossing but we've seen people getting off the boat at Portsmouth, late, green. And I do mean green.

Half way house - St Malo or Caen.

I have proved that Kwells work and the boat reception will probably have some.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Cost wise there's not much in it, depends on low season or high season fares.

Time wise a huge saving in time and stress going Santander.

We've never had a bad crossing but we've seen people getting off the boat at Portsmouth, late, green. And I do mean green.

Half way house - St Malo or Caen.

I have proved that Kwells work and the boat reception will probably have some.

I use the Santander Portsmouth ferry, I don't know if it was Kwells but I went to the reception on the boat and they gave me a tablet, had dinner, took tablet, bang! Out for the night......won...der...ful :thumb:

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
Lots of driving through France large country, ferries can be expensive. It's what you would prefer.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
There are pros and cons to both routes.
I know some people like to take their time on a drive through France.
For us the choice is simple, my wife will not get on a ferry.
For years when I was a contractor I would drive for hours on end, so the driving does not worry me. I can reach Santander/Bilbao just as quickly as the ferry.
I find France a bit boring in the winter and my aim is to get to a warm sunny climate as quickly as possible.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Why not do both ? One way to Santander (I know a single fare is more expensive) and return via Calais - a 'Grand tour':thumb:

CarolynandMike

Free Member
Nov 21, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Liberty
Exp
since 2009
Why not do both ? One way to Santander (I know a single fare is more expensive) and return via Calais - a 'Grand tour':thumb:

This is what we usually do. However, will probably take the ferry back from Santander this trip as we are leaving Spain around 18 March and don't think France at that time of the year is worth visiting (we would never drive straight through, only if we can do some nice stopovers).

First time we used Santander we had a bad crossing due to the weather and a poorly sited cabin in the bow. Confirm that the reception tablets are ace although I had to have two different ones as I took the first too late...

Now we pay extra for a decent 4 berth cabin sited at the back of the boat and I always take a tablet before sailing.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Calais plus driving works out cheaper if you stop on Aires rather than campsites, and you don't mind the extra time spent travelling.

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
Calais for us as it is only a short ferry trip for the dog. Never found the driving a problem and consider the journey part of the holiday. We also have friends to visit from our time living in France. Looking forward to mid February when we make the next trip south.

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
If your destination is Spain/Portugal Santander Ferry every time we have done it on numerous occasions only had one bad crossing great food,entertainment its a bit like mini cruise and part of the holiday certainly better than slogging down through France,we are going in May this Year 24 foot MH and motorcycle on trailer,cabin both ways Around £1100:Smile:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Ferry to Bilboa, Spain

We travelled on it last summer and whilst it went up and down and side to side a bit (Force 4-5). It is a large boat and it did not bother me.

I do not have the best sea legs and I am usually one of the first on the boat to feel off colour.:Eeek::Eeek:

If you use the motorways across France the price works out about the same whether you drive or cruise. Use main roads I suspect you would save a few euro's. Use Aires and save even more.

One beauty of the ferry, 24 hour crossing, arrive refreshed early morning for the drive across Spain. Just make sure it is direct and not due a stop off for crew change in Roscoff.

The Santander boat is larger and newer so should be even better.:thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back