Alps in Summer? (1 Viewer)

Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
Hi all, Not posted for a while since I introduced myself a while ago but have been using the new van loads, including a coupe of trips to lincolnshire a trip to Brugge xmas market and numerous days out, Me and the mrs and kids are really looking forwards to the summer now and feel we had better get into gear and start organising some trips. I have always wanted to visit the mountains and we are thinking of the Alps this summer (July), has anyone got any good recommendations for camp sites (not bothered if they are Aires or not) and anything that is considered a must see while there.

micky drip

Free Member
Jul 4, 2012
mid wales
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
5 years
Hi all, Not posted for a while since I introduced myself a while ago but have been using the new van loads, including a coupe of trips to lincolnshire a trip to Brugge xmas market and numerous days out, Me and the mrs and kids are really looking forwards to the summer now and feel we had better get into gear and start organising some trips. I have always wanted to visit the mountains and we are thinking of the Alps this summer (July), has anyone got any good recommendations for camp sites (not bothered if they are Aires or not) and anything that is considered a must see while there.
Camping Jungfrau in Lauterbrunnen is ideal for the Jungfrau railway, schiltorn by cable car (james Bond), Trumellbach water falls. Site is a bit pricey but good facilities. Bon Voyage.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Switzerland and the Bernese Oberland in particular was a must do when we bought our motorhome. We were there with a caravan in the mid 90's and had a wonderful time, and extremely lucky with the weather. Bit alarmed at the prices these days compared with back then but we plan to be back this summer. :Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the Alps this summer (July), has anyone got any good recommendations for camp sites (not bothered if they are Aires or not) and anything that is considered a must see while there.

You can't get a more exciting place than Chamonix.

There is a lovely little site in the middle opposite the hospital.

Chamonix has The Aiguile du Midi and a glacia, what more could you wish for.

Even better you travel the Route Vin to get there.

ian and mel

Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
pontefract
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 1980

i can recommend camping bannwaldsee at fussen in the bavarian alps, the chitty bang bang castle is near by, the mountains are great, julia bradbury did a program about some of the walks around there, we always stop off there when ever we go to bavaria, hope this helps, ian and mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Chamonix has an Aire but it's basically one end of a huge car park and nobody pays much attention to which bays are marked for which type of vehicle so it's first come first served. You can reshuffle up to the MH end later in the day when the cars all clear off. Convenient for the town anyway.

Interlaken and Matten bei Interlaken are a good base for exploring the Bernese Oberland. I can highly recommend the train ride up to the Jungfraujoch Station (around 3500m up the Jungfrau) but it don't come cheap any more, so if you want to do it start saving now. You can go out onto the snow from the tourist complex for various types of snowy entertainment and hike around the slopes a bit - take walking poles and sunglasses if you do.

Schynige Platte is also accessible from Interlaken by train - lower than the Jungfrau and not snowbound but a first class view when you get up there.

If you travel further afield, it's always cheaper to buy a Swiss Carnet and use their tunnels than it is to pay an arm and a leg to go through the French-owned tunnels. The cost of the Mont Blanc Tunnel between Switzerland and Chamonix fair took my breath away. Won't be doing that again.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Make sure your brake pads are good! I had a hire van go there for 3 weeks- luckily with new pads, needed another new set by the time he got back! lol! He must have been on them all the way down!:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Make sure your brake pads are good!

You bet.

I remember a good half hour in second gear UP in Swizerland, then we hit the down bit. Despite low gear, cadence braking, be gentle, the smell was worrying. But it was worth it, well worth it. I love a good hill.

These turbo diesels don't have the engine braking the good old 'uns had.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Agreed about the braking. Nothing quite like the Alps for reminding you what your gears are for.

Plus the excellent practice you'll get in endless hill starts if caught in a traffic queue going uphill.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
We have been camping in Switzerland off and on for the last 22 years.

Last year we returned to interlaken, for a week and stayed at the TSC Interlaken site.

It's a bit basic but as it sits on the river between the Briensee a the Thunasee lakes, five minutes walk from Interlaken Ost railway station (essential for travel up the two valleys to the mountains) and a 10 minute walk into the town centre it is well worth it to stay.

We have camped at most of the sites in the Interlaken area with the kids, and I must say it is the most convenient site off all.

Suggest early-mid July for the weather.

One of our favourite places!

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , Not exactly the alps but nice aire in Saint-Pierre-de-Chartreuse just south of Annecy below aux les bains
Terry:sin:

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
Camping Aaregg in Brienz just East of Interlaken. Greta site right by the lake and if quick you will get a pitch right by the lake. Just booked a week in mid July.

Looking for another near Garmisch if anyone has any recomendations:thumb:

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
A few years ago we stayed at Camping Vidy in Lausanne, Switzerland.
Link Removed It's not too expensive.:Smile:
Right on the lakeside with a fabulous path/cycle path all the way into Lausanne. From Lausanne you can take boat trips across the lake and the length of the lake to Geneva, Montreux, Chateau de Chillon, Thonon, Yvoire, Nyon (where our daughter was borne.)::bigsmile:
You can drive along the valley up the Rhone and you are surrounded by mountains - spoilt for choice.
We have also stayed on the aire at Leysin, not far from Lausanne
Mike and Annie

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Looking for another near Garmisch if anyone has any recomendations:thumb:[/QUOTE]

There is an Aire at Garmisch, near the stadium

OP
OP
Scottyboy
Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
Thanks for all the replys, We like the look of Camping Jungfrau it looks like a beautiful site with the waterfall. We will probably book there in the next couple of days once we have confirmed our eurotunnel dates, Whats the best route to take across France for a bit of scenery?

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
We have been via France, through Geneva but this will be costly fastest route is via toll motorways

Last time we went through Belgium, Luxembourg, Alsace, Bern a lot cheaper as mostly non toll motorways.

You will also need a vignette for the motorways in Switzerland. Vis Internet Swiss Travel around £31 or at border(there could be a queue) £29

OP
OP
Scottyboy
Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
That sounds like a good idea, I didn't think to take a route like that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back