Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
Ghana
Funster No
MH
Bus conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie!
Not really sure where to start! Perhaps a little about ourselves.

We are Aubrey and Lou and are, or should I say I am, not only a newbie, but a motorhome virgin! We have four children who are aged 6, 5, 4 and 3.

We currently live in Ghana, West Africa and are about to return to the UK early this year. We were chatting and realised that we had a perfect opportunity to do something fun before settling down to everyday life back home. My husband has always wanted a motorhome, and we thought it would be great to tour the UK in one with our kids for a few months! Slightly diving in at the deep end, but if we don't do it now, it may never happen!

We took the bull by the horns and have already, perhaps madly, bought a Mercedes 814 bus conversion. Our priorities were fixed forward facing seats with three point seat belts and enough beds/sleeping space that could fit everyone without having to put them all away every day, as well as some living space with the beds in place. The choice of vehicle was slightly limited within our budget range, but the bus seemed to fit the bill, and is reasonable enough for us to make some improvements.

We/I have lots of questions but as a start, does anyone know of any companies/garages/workshops/individuals who could update a few things on our bus/motorhome? Such as fit a shower (toilet fitted but they didn't use/fit the shower), put in heating/air con as well as some upgrades in the kitchen amongst other things? We/it will be based in the south (Hampshire/Dorset).

Ideally we'd love to start our trip at the end of March.

Once I've had a proper look around and we have a better internet connection I will be able to post questions in the relevant forums, but in the meantime we would love to hear of anyone who has done a complete tour of the UK - even better if you've done it with children! Also any tips in general for being on the road for a while gratefully received!

Thank you in advance. Looking forward to being part of the community.
Kind regards
Lou

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi can't really help you with your questions just thought I'd say a big welcome to fun your idea sounds like great fun.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
th
Not really sure where to start! Perhaps a little about ourselves.

We are Aubrey and Lou and are, or should I say I am, not only a newbie, but a motorhome virgin! We have four children who are aged 6, 5, 4 and 3.

We currently live in Ghana, West Africa and are about to return to the UK early this year. We were chatting and realised that we had a perfect opportunity to do something fun before settling down to everyday life back home. My husband has always wanted a motorhome, and we thought it would be great to tour the UK in one with our kids for a few months! Slightly diving in at the deep end, but if we don't do it now, it may never happen!

We took the bull by the horns and have already, perhaps madly, bought a Mercedes 814 bus conversion. Our priorities were fixed forward facing seats with three point seat belts and enough beds/sleeping space that could fit everyone without having to put them all away every day, as well as some living space with the beds in place. The choice of vehicle was slightly limited within our budget range, but the bus seemed to fit the bill, and is reasonable enough for us to make some improvements.

We/I have lots of questions but as a start, does anyone know of any companies/garages/workshops/individuals who could update a few things on our bus/motorhome? Such as fit a shower (toilet fitted but they didn't use/fit the shower), put in heating/air con as well as some upgrades in the kitchen amongst other things? We/it will be based in the south (Hampshire/Dorset).

Ideally we'd love to start our trip at the end of March.

Once I've had a proper look around and we have a better internet connection I will be able to post questions in the relevant forums, but in the meantime we would love to hear of anyone who has done a complete tour of the UK - even better if you've done it with children! Also any tips in general for being on the road for a while gratefully received!

Thank you in advance. Looking forward to being part of the community.
Kind regards
Lou

Hi and welcome to the fun
In your area try
Charles and sons Poole have used them in the past

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> We have four children who are aged 6, 5, 4 and 3.

>> We took the bull by the horns

Clearly.

Well, if you can find the time after your main hobby you have a good plan. Though it has to be said, a bus sized vehicle is going to limit just where you can park up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back