Marquis motorhomes INFO (1 Viewer)

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
Hi has anyone had dealings with Marquis? I bought an Autosleeper van conversion from them last year with a "full warranty" and am now being told a leaking door seal is excluded, I can not find seals in the excluded section. Has anyone else had a problem with them? I found the company very difficult to deal with even when it came to paying, but the staff are all very good, so I am not sure about the company at all. Any help would be welcome.

Thanks for reading this.

John

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hi John,, i have only had talks with them so cant help on that front. however, it would be worth asking the man who sold you the man where exactly in the warranty it says the door seal is excluded.
my only guess is that it could be seen as a wear and tear item in the warranty.... but thats only a real guess.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi has anyone had dealings with Marquis? I bought an Autosleeper van conversion from them last year with a "full warranty" and am now being told a leaking door seal is excluded, I can not find seals in the excluded section. Has anyone else had a problem with them? I found the company very difficult to deal with even when it came to paying, but the staff are all very good, so I am not sure about the company at all. Any help would be welcome.

Thanks for reading this.

John

I think if you search on that name you find you are not alone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we brought our first brand new van from Marquis, and the problems getting them to honour warranty work, within weeks of purchase put us off buying new again. In the end we sold the swift on at under a year old and 3000 miles with faults still there to a couple who were legal proffessionals and they took over dealing with Swift and Marquis

I would never recomend them to anyone as a business. Some decent staff members, but the management are awful

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Only comment I would make is that if it was within 12 months of sale date, we would have sorted it without question subject to it not being 'abused'

Peter

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Hi
Go on to the Autosleepers Forum theres lots of info there re leaky doors and hoe best to resolve it

Best of luck
chris

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Hi John got my mine from b/Waltham in July put down deposite in April took a while to sort finances out but they didn't rush me and staff were brilliant ,I've got a warranty issue going through at the moment (cracked gel coat), so fingers crossed it will all be done :thumb:

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Marquis

Have you written to the Manager?
IF not satisfied go a step higher and as far as CEO. They don't want bad publicity
Marquis owed me a tyre as the spare was the wrong one. After doing my research with Autosleeper I wrote to the Manager at Lee Mill, Plymouth, laid out my problem and they fitted the correct one
Don't be fobbed off

Apr 26, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Marquis

We bought a new swift kontiki 669 got fobbed of on late deilivery extras were not fitted as promised they left tools and screws laying in one of the beds put scratches on the front bumper. Every time I went back their attitude got worse our bathroom door kept opening whilst driving they wanted to fit a plastic bracket on the outside I just laughed at them and told them they must be joking the whole experience was one of the worst we have been through I sorted the problems myself and vowed never to return they have no respect for their customers and know nothing about customer service just want your money you don't survive in this economic climate treating customers this way :Angry:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
After buying my first van from Marquis at Lower Upham (Southampton) I wouldn't buy a wheelbarrow from them.
IMO Untrustworthy, deceitful, unprofessional and dishonourable.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
This is or second van from MARQUIS and even though they have done the warranty work each time we have had out back there has been some aspect of the work that hasn't been done, for example I told them about a sink top lifting in September, they wanted to see it so travelled to them so they could inspect out themselves, I had already sent them pictures, they found damp behind cooker so told us that this would have to be done even though it had passed a hab test by themselves, 6 months earlier.
They said whole kitchen needed taking out and rebourded, fact its they just boarded behind kitchen whet you can see and didn't do the sink and they lied to us that we hasn't even reported the sink tip so we have to wait again for that to be ordered from swift.I reminded him that I had sent him pictures of the sink to which he looked blank and said they he would order the sink top for us, after about half an hour he came back into waiting room and apologised to us and said he remembered now but had forgotten to write it on the work sheet at the time
we have had a lot of dealings with MARQUIS over the last three years we have owned this van over numerous branches but I have found the staff to be pleasant in our dealings with them but the workmanship leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited:

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
After buying my first van from Marquis at Lower Upham (Southampton) I wouldn't buy a wheelbarrow from them.
IMO Untrustworthy, deceitful, unprofessional and dishonourable.
My dealings with Marquis was the absolute pits, dealing with the so called CEO will be a complete waste of time as well. For me to explain my experience would take to long but all I can say is my solicitor sorted them out with one phone call. I would NEVER EVER think of doing a deal with them no matter what. Most third party warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on. I would like to know how you define abuse where a door seal is concerned, is it based on the amount of times that you open and close the door?

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
I bought a Motorhome from Marquis, Upham about 4 years ago.

Once the sale was agreed they lost a considerable amount of interest in me and I ended up writing to the MD setting out my complaint and what I wanted.

He passed the letter to his sales Director, who offered me most of the compensation I wanted and I felt was appropriate.

Some of the staff are excellent, but seem to be let down by management.

Be clear and concise and fair and you should get the result that is right for the situation.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I p/x my last van for an Auto-sleeper from the new Durham branch when it opened in October. I can say that the service we have had has been excellent from the local staff, there were a couple of things needed doing, and some small bits of equipment missing, but the salesman dealing with us (Nick) kept us informed of progress with regular phone calls etc. Not had any warranty issues (touch wood) so can't comment on that.

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Lee Mill

I have had a few dealing with Marquis Plymouth and have to say they were excellent :thumb:(Bar for one idiot) :Eeek:
No names but I went to have a repair done to the hab door at A/S Broadway last March on our way home.
It was Friday 13, the Service Manager was on hols and the "front of house" Manager was probably the rudest man :Angry:I have ever come across in the M/H world. He refused to answer my questions, and when I inspected the door I found a screw a bit loose. When I asked him to have it tightened, he slammed the door. found a fitter who did it in 2 seconds and stormed off to his office.
I wrote to their Customer Services and had an apology and he was removed to a back office as this wasn't the first time he had acted this way.
Sadly there will always be people in all walks off life who are incompetant and rude

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
This is or second van from MARQUIS and even though they have done the warranty work each time we have had out back there has been some aspect of the work that hasn't been done, for example I told them about a sink top lifting in September, they wanted to see it so travelled to them so they could inspect out themselves, I had already sent them pictures, they found damp behind cooker so told us that this would have to be done even though it had passed a hab test by themselves, 6 months earlier.
They said whole kitchen needed taking out and rebourded, fact its they just boarded behind kitchen whet you can see and didn't do the sink and they lied to us that we hasn't even reported the sink tip so we have to wait again for that to be ordered from swift.I reminded him that I had sent him pictures of the sink to which he looked blank and said they he would order the sink top for us, after about half an hour he came back into waiting room and apologised to us and said he remembered now but had forgotten to write it on the work sheet at the time
we have had a lot of dealings with MARQUIS over the last three years we have owned this van over numerous branches but I have found the staff to be pleasant in our dealings with them[HI] but the workmanship leaves a lot to be desired.[/HI]

I bought a Motorhome from Marquis, Upham about 4 years ago.

Once the sale was agreed they lost a considerable amount of interest in me and I ended up writing to the MD setting out my complaint and what I wanted.

He passed the letter to his sales Director, who offered me most of the compensation I wanted and I felt was appropriate.

Some of the staff are excellent,[HI] but seem to be let down by management[/HI].

Be clear and concise and fair and you should get the result that is right for the situation.

Soooo.. to sum up, about the only people who seem to be doing a bang up job are the salesmen who must be top notch to overcome all the published problems regarding management and workshop staff !!

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Dealers, especially large groups, differ from one to the next. I have bought vehicles through Marquis and have had absolutely no issue with any warranty work or aftersales support.

If you warranty includes habitation areas (some are just mechanical, so read carefully) then there is no reason why you cannot get it done - even at another dealer/caravan repair company so long as they are vat registered.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
We have bought 2 motorhomes from Marquis - a brand new Autocruise Starburst which was delivered three weeks after the Autocruise was bought out by Swift. Marquis Ipswich took over the Autocruise warranty but we did not have any problems during the 3 years so did not test the warranty.

We then bought an Autocruise Startrail from Marquis Northampton and it was a nightmare from the start. We only had it a couple weeks before the 12 volt electrics failed. The problems we encountered are all on the forum, which was very helpful (especially Jim) in sorting everything out and eventually - after they had the motorhome for 13 weeks ! - we received it back and traded it in a few months later for a new Bentley Oulton!!

What happened next - Bentley went belly up. We should have known better than to buy from the same management team who ran Autocruise.

The company - Vanmaster - who took over Bentley then wanted to charge all owners over ÂŁ700 for a warranty! we told them what to do with it!

One of our friends always buys his motorhome from Brownhills, I asked him why, considering their reputation? He said that when he bought a motorhome he got the best deal possible, checked and double checked for any problems before he collected it and then drove away expecting that any future problems would have to be sorted out by himself.

Buyer beware!! is a very good saying.

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
My flabber is always gasted when I read of probs with Marquis.

Why? Because we bought our current van from them, we had a warranty prob. Cosmetic thing, involving fitting new internal roof decor we declined dealer's offer to do it, as they proposed cutting it out and fitting it around wall units, wardrobe etc and we wanted it done properly by taking them out, starting again with a whole new panel and putting them back. Didn't have to argue, just said No thanks. So we used the van for two hols and then told them when they could have it, rather than the other way about. It was sorted pdq by Swift, who also sorted out a couple of minor things (two of which we didn't know about till they told us, which actually proved they really had tested everything) whilst it was in their workshop!!

It went in in December, they said it prolly wouldn't be ready till January, then rang us the week before Xmas to say it was done, when could we collect it?

Brilliant sevice throughout. And all it took was one conversation with the branch manager at Marquis Northampton on the day that we picked it up in the first place.

Deleted User
We bought our 1st motorhome a Swift Sundance from Marquis 7 years ago and they were fairly helpfull in sorting out the many problems we had, although they never did sort out the electrical problems.However we had a habitation service and damp check done by them when the van was 2 years old and six weeks later we decided to exchange it for a Rapido. The Rapido dealer checked for damp and found extensive damp in the rear and in the front of the luton, although this was remedied under warranty I would not trust them again for any service work.

spongy

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We went to Marquis Ipswich when our dealer failed to correct issues and they were really good arrangeing for the van to be returned to Swift for repair. The van was returned with all the problems sorted plus a couple of extra things done that we hadn't mentioned.
I would find another dealer to sort things, as you don't have to use the dealer who sold the van to you , if the van is under warranty.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
No names but I went to have a repair done to the hab door at A/S Broadway last March on our way home.
It was Friday 13, the Service Manager was on hols and the "front of house" Manager was probably the rudest man :Angry:I have ever come across in the M/H world. He refused to answer my questions, and when I inspected the door I found a screw a bit loose. When I asked him to have it tightened, he slammed the door. found a fitter who did it in 2 seconds and stormed off to his office.
I wrote to their Customer Services and had an apology and he was removed to a back office as this wasn't the first time he had acted this way.
Sadly there will always be people in all walks off life who are incompetant and rude

I am really surprised at this - I had Autosleepers for 4 years and went to Broadway several times and found them always unfailingly polite and helpful, even when I recently took my new WildAx to see if they could fit a vanity unit in the bathroom.

Catherine

OP
OP
gasman2008
Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
Thank You

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I have emailed Marquis and am waiting for a reply. When this is resolved I will let everyone know how it went. I am thinking of reporting them to trading standards, or even paying for the repair then suing in the small claims court

OP
OP
gasman2008
Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
No

The manager told my wife that he thought we may have damaged it ourselves. The camper had to go to a local garage for a minor bump and they sorted it out FOC :Smile:

I now take the camper to them for service and have told Marquis they will not get 1 more penny out of me

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984

Thanks for reading this.

John

If it is a van conversion then the door seal will be the responsibility of the base vehicle manufacturer. I would contact Peugeot if it is within the warranty period. Good luck.
Wilf

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back