Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
anyone using One Chem? We bought some at NEC thinking that, at up to 40 doses, it would see us thro our wintering in Spain.:thumb:
WRONG I have had to stop using it (As had a neighbour who binned theirs) due to the acrid stench coming from the casette.:Angry:
As we don't have any other chemical I wonder where I can purchase some. We are at Javea for the next few weeks::bigsmile:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Try biological washing liquid, available at all supermarkets and lots cheaper than toilet chems plus they're bio degradable so safe for the environment too.

D.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We started off using the chemicals in our cassette. Did not like the smell which seemed to permeate the van.
We then went on to cheap bio washing liquid which was ok but............
Now we use nowt and have not for a long time, no problems at all, just empty cassette every day.

Once in a while when shopping and cassette is empty (maybe apart from a wee) put a bag of ice cubes in it, drive back and empty. Result? Clean cassette. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Try biological washing liquid, available at all supermarkets and lots cheaper than toilet chems plus they're bio degradable so safe for the environment too.

D.

Does this really work (really?) :whatthe: I like the idea of not using the blue stuff:Smile:

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years

D.

Dave,
Do you mean ordinary biological laundry liquid? This sounds like a great tip.

Mike

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Does this really work (really?) :whatthe: I like the idea of not using the blue stuff:Smile:

Yep - I've been using it for a couple of years with no problems. Just make sure it is Biological.

I buy Tesco's cheapest - it's about £1.75 for a bottle which does about 10 doses. Slosh it round the bowl when you change the toilet tank to freshen it up.

Smells nice too :Smile:

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We haven't used a chemical in our cassette for many years, a total waste of money. Just empty often::bigsmile:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We sell loads of it :RollEyes:

However, we don't use it in the Gulf Stream, as we have a couple of dump points so I tend to empty it most trips.

I do however use "blue" when we're off for our main holiday in August as I don't tend to bother to empty the loo tank so much and the South of France is quite warm, 50 Gallons (US) of poo tends to pong when emptied without blue :thumb:

Biological washing power, as Dave said works really well, and chucking some down the waste water pipes to slosh around in the grey water tanks keeps everything smelling fresh and tickety boo!

Eddie

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
One problem .... no Tesco in Espana. Iv'e been using for years after a recommendation on a forum and would not change now.

Second best Lidl Formil in tablet or liquid form.

The advantage of these products is they are heavily scented so are not bad to empty. :Smile:

They also do not let the lime scale build up on the flap if you have the Thetford typa. :thumb:

Edit: You won't find Bio stuff in Spain, unless anyone has other info, on what it's called in Spanish.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Never used chemicals. I leave a small splash of water in the bottom of the bowl all the time now and have never had smells of any kind coming into the van..

Used to have a SOG but don't bother with that either now.

OP
OP
Gunner29

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Lidl

Off to Lidl tomorrow Obviously no one using One Chem then

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We are also converts to cheap (own brand) bio washing liquid. Works a treat.

I've used nothing else for a couple of years, any brand will do, just get the cheapest, at one time I was just paying 99p a bottle. If you're a bit mean with it a bottle can last a month, it doesn't need a lot in and breaks down solids and toilet paper much better than the blue stuff.:thumb:

On that topic, use ordinary supermarket soft toilet paper, it breaks down just as fast as the Thetford stuff at a fraction of the price.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I've used nothing else for a couple of years, any brand will do, just get the cheapest, at one time I was just paying 99p a bottle. If you're a bit mean with it a bottle can last a month, it doesn't need a lot in and breaks down solids and toilet paper much better than the blue stuff.:thumb:

On that topic, use ordinary supermarket soft toilet paper, it breaks down just as fast as the Thetford stuff at a fraction of the price.

Never used anything but Andrex. Never had any problems with breakdown :RollEyes:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!

On that topic,[HI] use ordinary supermarket soft toilet paper[/HI], it breaks down just as fast as the Thetford stuff at a fraction of the price.

A free nailbrush with every packet !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

[HI]On that topic, use ordinary supermarket soft toilet paper, it breaks down just as fast as the Thetford stuff at a fraction of the price[/HI].

When we bought our van, nearly a year ago, there were a number of Thetford rolls left in it by the previous owner. The only difference we found from supermarket own brand paper was that the Thetford rolls were too large to fit into the holder which Thetford had built into their toilet unit ::bigsmile:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
No chemicals

I agree with Jim, haven't used any chemicals for years and use any ordinary cheap bum fodder :thumb: and just empty whenever. The contents are never in the cassette long enough for any of the chemicals to make any difference ...... except for a different pong !

Once or twice a year I treat the cassette with Thetford Cassette Cleaner and I lube the seals regularly.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Aldi or Lidls do a 4/5 litre version for £4. It works very well.

We have used it for some time time now, great solution and we were only talking the other night how much it saved us over the years from spending £7 a litre on loo chem!

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Aldi or Lidls do a 4/5 litre version for £4. It works very well.

We have used it for some time time now, [HI]great solution[/HI] and we were only talking the other night how much it saved us over the years from spending £7 a litre on loo chem!

Nice one:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We started off using the chemicals in our cassette. Did not like the smell which seemed to permeate the van.
We then went on to cheap bio washing liquid which was ok but............
Now we use nowt and have not for a long time, no problems at all, just empty cassette every day.

Once in a while when shopping and cassette is empty (maybe apart from a wee) put a bag of ice cubes in it, drive back and empty. Result? Clean cassette. :thumb:

Steph had to stop using the bio when our true Scot Ken insisted the washing had to go in the cassette too, a quick drive round and the washing was done:RollEyes:

OP
OP
Gunner29

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
converted

Now using Formil from Lidl here in Javea at E 2.79
No bad smell just a bit of a pleseant scent

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Steph had to stop using the bio when our true Scot Ken insisted the washing had to go in the cassette too, a quick drive round and the washing was done:RollEyes:

Pfft you sussed me Geo!!! :cry:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Taking the piss

Doesn't anybody wonder why bio washing powder isn't just as readily available in Spain as the UK? I think different drainage systems could have a lot to do with it. Septic tanks don't like biological washing powders!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back