ger box problem (1 Viewer)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
you mean you wiggle the stick and can feel no engagement? ( no pun intended):Doh: sounds as if a part of the linkage has detached itself.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
you mean you wiggle the stick and can feel no engagement? ( no pun intended):Doh: sounds as if a part of the linkage has detached itself.
after a bit i manged to get 4th then 2nd it just wont engage proper could it be frozen? it was ok last week end it hazen been the smothest sins i got it cluch has got plenty on it

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Could be if its a Ducato base.
some had problems with water running off the screen into the gearbox linkage spindle.
could have found its way into the box and frozen......or at least made the oil super thick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
after a bit i manged to get 4th then 2nd it just wont engage proper could it be frozen? it was ok last week end it hazen been the smothest sins i got it cluch has got plenty on it

it aint the linkage then, as said above could be sticking clutch or gearbox oil levels / oil viscosity.

what happens if you run the engine till its up to temperature then try engaging gears.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Could be if its a Ducato base.
some had problems with water running off the screen into the gearbox linkage spindle.
could have found its way into the box and frozen......or at least made the oil super thick
so if the oil is super thick will that stop me geting the gears and it is a ducato

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Certainly will Bill.

its the water in the oil which is trying to freeze and thick semi frozen oil will stop the syncro hubs and cones engaging.
as already suggested try running the engine until warm....that will also warm the gearbox and thin the partly frozen oil.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
its possible in these temps. as i said try running engine up to temp, then switch off ( will stop you crunching or lurching if the clutch is a problem ) and try gears then.

When the engine turns over / runs without the clutch depressed it turns the mainshaft in the gear box even if its not in gear . thats why in cold weather its good practice to dip the clutch on start up to reduce the load on the engine starter and battery.

that will agitate the gearbox oil and warm that up a bit too.

give it a go before crawling under the bonnet to check things out.

any idea how many miles / years its done on current gearbox oil?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Certainly will Bill.

its the water in the oil which is trying to freeze and thick semi frozen oil will stop the syncro hubs and cones engaging.
as already suggested try running the engine until warm....that will also warm the gearbox and thin the partly frozen oil.
i can smoothly get all gears wen engine not ruining i am ruining engine now it is up to temp but still cant get gears and think i have stretched clutch cabal with feing to have handed when i lift of clutch it wants to engage straight away i can get it in gear when engin not runing

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
As Papajohn has said water in the oil dont help. that can get there by a number of route... through direct water getting into the box, or through condensation over a number of years. ( the oil gets warm and when it cools quickly particularly in these temps it condensates )

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
its possible in these temps. as i said try running engine up to temp, then switch off ( will stop you crunching or lurching if the clutch is a problem ) and try gears then.

When the engine turns over / runs without the clutch depressed it turns the mainshaft in the gear box even if its not in gear . thats why in cold weather its good practice to dip the clutch on start up to reduce the load on the engine starter and battery.

that will agitate the gearbox oil and warm that up a bit too.

give it a go before crawling under the bonnet to check things out.

any idea how many miles / years its done on current gearbox oil?
it is a1985 ducato 70'000 had its cluch changed @ 60'000 the linkig is a bit worn but has been changing ok

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i can smoothly get all gears wen engine not ruining i am ruining engine now it is up to temp but still cant get gears and think i have stretched clutch cabal with feing to have handed when i lift of clutch it wants to engage straight away i can get it in gear when engin not runing

then its the clutch or cable you need to look at.:Sad:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
not sure, it would normally have some basic adjustment. google or youtube might help:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, there will be an adjuster...either manual or automatic.

could be many things causing it but i doubt you stretched the cable with a few pedal press,s.....that would come on gradually over thousands of miles.

more likely the clutch plate isnt fully releasing when you press the pedal.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Yes, there will be an adjuster...either manual or automatic.

could be many things causing it but i doubt you stretched the cable with a few pedal press,s.....that would come on gradually over thousands of miles.

more likely the clutch plate isnt fully releasing when you press the pedal.
the arm is only movein 1 1/2 in when cluch folly depresed

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
if they didn't replace the cable when they fitted the new clutch the extra spring pressure of a new clutch may cause it to start breaking strands in the cable which will lead to it stretching and eventually snap.

however.....

there is normally a plastic D shaped spacer that screws onto the cable and rests in the slot on the end of the arm on the gearbox.
sometimes the steel lock nut is lost and never re-fitted which in most cases isn't a problem but sometimes the D shaped spacer will slip down the threads a little bit lowering the pedal and reducing the travel so the clutch doesn't disengage properly.

if it is a cable operated one (some were hydraulic) the adjuster will be right on top of the gearbox and should be in the form of the plastic D and a m6 thread 10mm nut on the front edge of the clutch arm.

Last edited:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
If you can get all gears with engine off but NONE with engine running & the pedal feels normal then the friction plate has stuck to the flywheel. Not uncommon if its been stood for a while or if it was parked up with the clutch wet eg. after going through deep water. Best cure is to drive it in 1st gear with the clutch depessed butt with GREAT CARE. Select first gear & with the handbrake off start the engine, but be sure you havre plenty of room to manouvere.
If however the clutch pedal feels lower than normal or more spongy then it's a cable or hydraulic fault. NNot knowing year /model doesn't help the diagnosis.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
If you can get all gears with engine off but NONE with engine running & the pedal feels normal then the friction plate has stuck to the flywheel. Not uncommon if its been stood for a while or if it was parked up with the clutch wet eg. after going through deep water. Best cure is to drive it in 1st gear with the clutch depessed butt with GREAT CARE. Select first gear & with the handbrake off start the engine, but be sure you havre plenty of room to manouvere.
If however the clutch pedal feels lower than normal or more spongy then it's a cable or hydraulic fault. NNot knowing year /model doesn't help the diagnosis.

thanks jay think i know wat wrong now cluch pedal just droped off bolt in hing just snaped:cry::ROFLMAO::cry::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back