deisel doctor

Free Member
Jul 21, 2012
stowmarket
Funster No
MH
burstner
Exp
Yes they are in our area again,a van just 500 yards down the road got done wednesday night right outside there house.
I did give my insurance company a ring (comfort avviva) and they said i am covered if its parked on my drive Mmmm.
Iwas thinking of getting some extra sucurity like one of those cages to enclose the cat, wondering if any one else has one.
If we survive till 22 feb the police are doing for free that invisble marking at the local truck east garage, is this any good or is it only good to track it when it has been nicked.

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
We were done on our first van 2 years ago, did not realise until I had loaded the van for the weekend, started her up and she sounded kinda 'meaty' so looked under the van and could not believe that someone had the cheek to do this outside our house! Anyway although it was covered by the insurance (it cost a £1000 to replace) the real damage was when I was sent my quote from the C&CC which had gone from £400 to £1500!! Eventually managed to get it for £700. How I wish I could have caught them in the act!!!!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
think that wont help as thay just melt down the metal i think and most of the scrap dealers are bent:Sad: .
so if it go's kiss it good bye the best thing is CCTV on your van and let it be known you are monitoring with CCTV.

it will work out cheaper than a cat and good alarm with movement sensor on the van CCTV douse stop the opportunist thief but nothing will stop a pike or knacker except maybe a Axe through the head but i do not condone violence in any way he he

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
We still remove all the cats on the vans on open forecourt, what annoys me is that the plod dont raid all the scrap metal dealers on na regular basis because that is where they end up.

Anyone buying brand new cats must know they have been stolen, but our local plod like to lurk in the laybye to nick motorists instead

Peter

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
My neighbour's warehouse has been raided twice recently. He has CCTV all over the place. These guys have hoodys on and you can't identify them at all as I'm sure these guys would have.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
It must be the sheltered life I have, could somebody tell me, how much are these "Cats" worth as scrap because they seem to go to some trouble to get them.

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
Apparently they would rather have used cats than new ones as the end 'buyer' can extract the precious metals more easily, a police friend of mine rekons that the thiefs get £50 for a £1000 cat plus all the heart ache it causes. Ours was removed with a pipe cutter and I suppose the only bonus was that the exhaust was not damaged as well. They are mostly destined for china and the 'dodgy' scrap dealers send them by the container load. big buisness.:Sad:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We still remove all the cats on the vans on open forecourt, what annoys me is that the plod don't raid all the scrap metal dealers on na regular basis because that is where they end up.

Anyone buying brand new cats must know they have been stolen, but our local plod like to lurk in the laybye to nick motorists instead

Peter
thay are scared of the pike's and the knackers and now that it is harder to get rid of copper thay go back to their old ways more vigilance and security
and maybe baseball bat but i renounce Vigilance in any way shape or form he he

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Retalliate first. Remove your cat, and fit a replacement exhaust section, at MOT time swap back. This will cost you a couple of quid, but not as much as a new cat, increased insurance cost's, and possiby a delayed or cancelled trip.

Plod and the Govt KNOW who the main miscreants are, but are powerless to stop them, they also, have not taken enough action against the buyers, so my concience would be clear, if they cant protect me, I'll protect myself.:thumb:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Retalliate first. Remove your cat, and fit a replacement exhaust section, at MOT time swap back. This will cost you a couple of quid, but not as much as a new cat, increased insurance cost's, and possibly a delayed or cancelled trip.

Plod and the Govt KNOW who the main miscreants are, but are powerless to stop them, they also, have not taken enough action against the buyers, so my concience would be clear, if they cant protect me, I'll protect myself.:thumb:
now there you go fantastic idea but isn't it a modification will it not affect performance fuel economy i don't know but still cheaper than a new cat:thumb:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Link Removed
It wont affect anything, I regularly removed the EGR set up on motors, only better performance. HOWEVER, it is illegal to remove a cat and run without it, you need to balance that, against YOUR attitude to the potential theft, the cost of trying to prevent it by other means...and you chnaces of getting caught. I beleive, my chances of getting caught, would be the same as the theif who stole my cat, so its a no brainer really. Its a totally personal decision, but if it aint there, they can't nick it!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Link Removed
It wont affect anything, I regularly removed the EGR set up on motors, only better performance. HOWEVER, it is illegal to remove a cat and run without it, you need to balance that, against YOUR attitude to the potential theft, the cost of trying to prevent it by other means...and you chnaces of getting caught. I beleive, my chances of getting caught, would be the same as the theif who stole my cat, so its a no brainer really. Its a totally personal decision, but if it aint there, they can't nick it!

I like that attitude.

I share it which is why I won't buy those stupid breath test kits for France.

If I get caught I will pay the €11 fine with pleasure.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
My van is to old to have one. BUSBY.

cudleydudley

Free Member
May 5, 2008
cheshunt herts
Funster No
MH
20012 tribute t-625
Exp
2003=11years
i have a CATCAGE

i bought a new motorhome 1st mar 2012. £40000.00 on the road, i live in cheshunt herts, and we have more gipo,s than enough around here, so on looking through mag's and talking to a "old copper" who said if "they want it they will have it, but make them work for it, and most times they leave it alone" so i decided on a CATCAGE, this puts a CAGE of special steel wire around the CAT and BOX, which is all fixed to the chassis with a 1 off lock.
it took 1 man with 2 helpers in a garage near a hour to fit [i was watching] at the end they had to cut off about 2 foot of this wire, after trying with those jaw cutters [like firemen use] and a angle grinder, they had to use the acetylene flame to cut it of, and it was banging like a fireworks show with sparks going everwhere. no gipo is going to lay on the floor with this danger and noise.
i also got 5o/o of the insurance, result one happy funster.:thumb::ROFLMAO:
george

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
it took 1 man with 2 helpers in a garage near a hour to fit [i was watching] at the end they had to cut off about 2 foot of this wire, after trying with those jaw cutters [like firemen use] and a angle grinder, they had to use the acetylene flame to cut it of, and it was banging like a fireworks show with sparks going everwhere. no gipo is going to lay on the floor with this danger and noise.
i also got 5o/o of the insurance, result one happy funster.:thumb::ROFLMAO:
george

Don't you believe it, they regularly cut live cables on the railways with nothing more than rubber gloves and bolt cutters.

Ian

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
There were 15 taken in one night 2 months ago around villages near here.
I blame the yards for taking it--they ought to record who brings it in with a car reg number,pay cheque only,photo ID.
It ought to be damn obvious when nicked gear is brought in to these yards where it came from, but still the scrap dealers take it--maybe they are just as bad.

bill harris

Free Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
Cat clamp

Hi two years ago they stole my cat cost me nearly a £1000.00 pound didn't claim. I bought a cat clamp whic has two stainless steel plates that clamp on either side of the cat. Then a stainless steel wire rope is threaded back and forth through holes in the plates and around the chasies this produces a cage around the cat. I have been very impressed with this.
I wish I had fitted it from new.
This would defiantly stop the opportunist
Bill Harris

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Hi two years ago they stole my cat cost me nearly a £1000.00 pound didn't claim. I bought a cat clamp whic has two stainless steel plates that clamp on either side of the cat. Then a stainless steel wire rope is threaded back and forth through holes in the plates and around the chasies this produces a cage around the cat. I have been very impressed with this.
I wish I had fitted it from new.
This would defiantly stop the opportunist
Bill Harris

Bill
Are these easy for a lay funster to fit? I'm quite keen to protect my CAT but also as keen to save any unnecessary expense in having it fitted professionally.

Mike

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
One of the Scrappies down here demands a photo I D, and makes you remove hat and or hood and look full on into the cctv camera.

It's an ongoing problem here with jokers raiding the Clay pits for the thick copper cables.

bill harris

Free Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
Cat clamp

Hi Mike.
I fitted the cat clamp my self on my Fiat X250 2008 model it requires no special tools to fit and took me a couple of hours top wack. I did not even jack it up laid a blanket underneath and slid under for additional light used my night fishing head torch. If you need any more help let me know.
Bill Harris

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Bill
Are these easy for a lay funster to fit? I'm quite keen to protect my CAT but also as keen to save any unnecessary expense in having it fitted professionally.

Mike
Fitting instructions for the model we would fit
Link Removed
Geo

bill harris

Free Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
Cat clamp

Hi from a personal point of view I think the cat clamp is a better product than anything else I have seen and good value for money not the cheapest but certainly does what it says on the tin.
Bill

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I do not think any of them would last many minutes with a determined Itinerant

micky drip

Free Member
Jul 4, 2012
mid wales
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
5 years
When parking at home I park drivers side against a wall, this makes the cat almost impossible to get at. Yes the determined thief could break in and move the vehicle, but I reckon they just want easy pickings and would move on.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Another (green) idea that has gone wrong--a fortune to buy new, thives nick them,then have to spend more money to replace and then to stop them all to save a bit of carbon.
I have a older MH--no cat on mine :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Errrrrrrrrr.............

Just a thought..

If you have the misfortune to have a cat napped ( sorry, could not resist ), why not take a ride around all the local scrappy's and see if you cannot buy a second hand one, they must be out there ! !

Might be lucky enough to find one before it gets melted down :thumb:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Ellen in our village had hers stolen last week while it was parked outside in the road,they also broke into the van yet nobody noticed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
deisel doctor

deisel doctor

Free Member
Jul 21, 2012
stowmarket
Funster No
MH
burstner
Exp
I was just checkin on ebay to see what the going prise for a cat cage is if you take a look they are prized around £100 -£130 new, but ther is one on there thats only £50 does that sound right or is it a scam Also are they easy to fit they dont sound to bad? (catloc)

cudleydudley

Free Member
May 5, 2008
cheshunt herts
Funster No
MH
20012 tribute t-625
Exp
2003=11years
sorry for wrong info

im sorry for putting out the wrong info [but it is a year since i had it fitted] i have not got a CATCAGE i have a CATCLAMP.
if you see the adds for both you will see why i choose the CATCLAMP. a angle grinder im sure could cut through the bolts on other products in my opinion.
george

OP
OP
deisel doctor

deisel doctor

Free Member
Jul 21, 2012
stowmarket
Funster No
MH
burstner
Exp
im sorry for putting out the wrong info [but it is a year since i had it fitted] i have not got a CATCAGE i have a CATCLAMP.
if you see the adds for both you will see why i choose the CATCLAMP. a angle grinder im sure could cut through the bolts on other products in my opinion.
george
Can you let me now were you got it from please cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back