Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have a satellite dish on my roof and coming into my home I have two connections, as its a twin LNB jobby. I have a Sky box that requires one of those cables and I want to add a recording freesat box that needs two.

Can I use a splitter with other Satellite like we could with analogue TV, getting two feeds from the remaining cable? Or will I need a triple LNB.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I dont think a splitter will do this , but i am happy to be corrected. Are you sure your lnb is only a 2 outlet? Many fitted for sky + were 4,s ours was and i have run additional cables similar to what you want.:thumb:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
you 'could' but....

satellites transmit on high and low bands and in vertically and horizontally polarised RF fields; in order to switch channels the satellite receiver has to send a voltage signal (and potentially a fixed frequency signal) back up to the LNB on the dish. Various channels are spread across the different bands and polarisations which means you will get a conflict if you try and request channels that are on different segments of the transmission band

so if it was splitting for decoders that don't require dual feeds then that would be okish, but not advisable for what you are looking for.

Best option would be to fit a quad LNB, you can get them for around the £15 on ebay - good luck on thh roof:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Simple answer....yes.

But get a quad LNB

Not any dearer than a triple lnb plus you can then change the sky box for sky+ and record on both the boxes then :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
And you may already have a quad LNB but with just two cables connected. I noticed ours (Sky) was a quad one, so I expect thats the only sort they use.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can I use a splitter with other Satellite like we could with analogue.

No.

The sat receiver controls the LNB to receive horizontal or vertical polarisation as needed, so if Sky needed a horizontal and Freesat needed a vertical it all goes pear-shaped.

I think.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back