new calor lite bottles (1 Viewer)

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
hi has anybody seen the new calor-lite in outlets yet supposed to be around now! so a gas driver tolled me the other week when a grilled him about them:Smile:???

HERE

RAY

V

vansmudge

Deleted User
hi has anybody seen the new calor-lite in outlets yet supposed to be around now! so a gas driver tolled me the other week when a grilled him about them:Smile:???

HERE

RAY

Hi, We were advised at the weekend that first supplies are to be distributed this week (Per info from Brownhills Newark)
Apparently the numbers are not great so check with your local Calor dealer to find ourt when and how many!
Regards,
vansmudge

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Ray
i just got a new bottle from the local BATA depot and he said he was about to ring calor and that was one of his queries.
he did say they are exchangable for standard bottles for a NOMINAL !!!!!! fee.
i'll keep you informed.

john.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I have a friend with a Garage who does gas. He told me he was exxpecting a delibvery yesterday. However they only come in the 6.5kg size. He is not sure if they will be doing bigger bottles.

Incedently papajohn, nice to meet you at the show and exactly how many people does it take to fit wind deflectors?:ROFLMAO:

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
From what I have heard they are £2 more for a refill and the first batch does not have the level gauge fitted.

I can not see what the fuss is about they are only 4.48kgs lighter.

Richard...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have a friend with a Garage who does gas. He told me he was exxpecting a delibvery yesterday. However they only come in the 6.5kg size. He is not sure if they will be doing bigger bottles.

Incedently papajohn, nice to meet you at the show and exactly how many people does it take to fit wind deflectors?:ROFLMAO:

good to meet you and yours too paul, did you ever get 'em to fit :shout:.
went to have a look round this morning but everyone had up sticks and left so i never got any, but..........after watching you i dont think that was a bad thing. :ROFLMAO::Doh:

OP
OP
Adria 5

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp

hi :whatthe: Are sure about 6.5k i thought they where 6k??

ray

holy1hobby

Free Member
Jan 28, 2008
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance
Exp
10 years
Technical / Specification:
The Calor liteTM cylinder is a 6Kg Propane cylinder made from lightweight steel
The cylinder is 4.48kg lighter than Calor's current 6Kg Propane cylinder
Calor liteTM is 49.7% lighter than the current Calor 6kg
The cylinder features a POL connector (the same connection as standard 6kg Propane cylinder)
A built-in Gas Trac® indicator lets you know when it's time for a refill. Visit the Gas Trac® page for more details
Distribution:

The above is from the calor website and the reduced weight will help me with my dodgy back.:thumb:

John

Bessie560

Free Member
Sep 28, 2007
Funster No
Any Calor lite around in Midlands?

Main stockists in NE only have ones without gauge and limiting 1 per customer.
I need 2. I am off to Midlands tomorrow and would be prepared to lug my old bottles with me. Any for sale in Midlands or e.g. Sheffield? with meter?
Ta Barry

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Ordered two for delivery Tuesday from Barnstaple depot. I was told the extra cost is because maintenance levels were higher (presumably because there is thinner steel (?)). Don't know anything about indicators. :Sad: I'll let you know when they get here.

John

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Ordered two for delivery Tuesday from Barnstaple depot. I was told the extra cost is because maintenance levels were higher (presumably because there is thinner steel (?)). Don't know anything about indicators. :Sad: I'll let you know when they get here.

John

Hi John,

I would be interest in what they are like, i'll watch out for your post

Keith

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi John,

I would be interest in what they are like, i'll watch out for your post

Keith

I send a piccie - if I can work out / remember how:Blush:

John

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Last November when the bottles were first publicised I contacted Calor as follows:
Message to Calor
I'm very interested in the new bottles which will be available next year. We currently have two 6Kg Calor bottles in our motorhome. When the Calor Lite bottles are available will we be able to choose them rather than conventional bottles when the time comes to replace empties? If we can choose Calor Lite bottles will we have to pay any extra deposit for them or will it just be a one for one swap?
Reply from Calor
You can replace them for the existing 6kg propane cylinder, and as long as you have a calor cylinder to swap in, you will just pay for the gas.

Having seen this thread I contacted Calor again yesterday:
Message to Calor
I have seen mention on a number of forums that the Calor Lite bottles are now on sale - which is useful as I shall need one soon.
However, there is also mention that they cost more than the old style bottles when an older style bottle is swapped in. This would seem to indicate that the cost is more than "you will just pay for the gas". Has there been a change of policy by Calor?
Reply from Calor
Please call 0800 662 663 from your landline, this will connect you to your local Calor centre. They will have the prices there.
Whether you have a 6kg cylinder or a 15kg butane cylinder, as long as it's a Calor bottle you will only pay the price for the gas, rather than paying another £29.99 deposit.
The old style (6kg) Is roughly £15.50 and the new lite one will be £18. This is due to the fact they cost more to manufacture and they have a gas track level indicator fitted.

As it was not clear whether the extra £2.50 was a one-off charge or not I sent another message to Calor:
Message to Calor
Thank you for your prompt reply. If I have read it correctly there is an extra charge of £2.50 for a 6Kg bottle to cover the extra cost of manufacture and the level indicator (though I did understand from other sources that the initial batch of bottles do not have indicators fitted).
Does this mean that (assuming no other changes such as fluctuations in gas prices) when one, in future, swaps an empty Calor Lite bottle for a full one the charge will be roughly £15.50 rather than £18 because the extra £2.50 has already been paid?

As I had not received a reply by this morning (previous responses had been very fast) I rang the number given. The lady I spoke to confirmed the £15.50 & £18 prices but maintained that these charges were only for the gas. It took a bit of pushing to establish that the extra £2.50 isn't a one-off charge and that, in effect, the gas in the Calor Lite cylinders is sold at a higher price than the same gas in the conventional cylinders.

I think we'll stick with the old cylinders rather than land ourselves with an ongoing higher price.

Graham

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I send a piccie - if I can work out / remember how:Blush:

John

Keith,
Took delivery of the two Calor cylinders on Tuesday afternoon. They are much lighter than the 'old' ones. I understand that they are supposed to be fitted with a level gauge / indicator; however, ours aren't. But they do have a very fetching picture of a caravan on them. Calor are charging more for them, but they are so much lighter and easier to handle that I think I'll put up with extra charge.

Piccie attached (I hope)

Wow! It worked.

John

Attachments

• New calor 6.jpg
    New calor 6.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Keith,
Took delivery of the two Calor cylinders on Tuesday afternoon. They are much lighter than the 'old' ones. I understand that they are supposed to be fitted with a level gauge / indicator; however, ours aren't. But they do have a very fetching picture of a caravan on them. Calor are charging more for them, but they are so much lighter and easier to handle that I think I'll put up with extra charge.

Piccie attached (I hope)

Wow! It worked.

John

Sounds & looks good that John. Any savings in weight is good. :thumb:

Are they the exact same size as the heavy ones?

Keith

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I didn't think to compare the sizes, but they seem to be a bit smaller.

As an aside, I was chatting to the delivery chap about cylinders and caravans and he seemed to think that if your gas locker is designed to take 11kg cylinders it'll take the UK 13s.
If that is the case I look forward to Calor bringing out a lightweight 13 in the not too distant future.

John

G

grahamdurey

Deleted User
Calor Lite

Hi,

Have just found this website for delivery of Calor Lites in Kent

Link Removed

Regards

OP
OP
Adria 5

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
hi why no gauge on? acording to the website they should have:Doh:

Further information

Link RemovedBelow
  • The Calor liteTM cylinder is a 6Kg Propane cylinder made from lightweight steel
  • The cylinder is 4.48kg lighter than Calor's current 6Kg Propane cylinder
  • Calor liteTM is 49.7% lighter than the current Calor 6kg
  • The cylinder features a POL connector (the same connection as standard 6kg Propane cylinder)
  • A built-in Gas Trac® indicator lets you know when it's time for a refill. Visit the Gas Trac® page for more details ???:RollEyes:
  • RAY

S

stagman

Deleted User
From what I have heard they are £2 more for a refill and the first batch does not have the level gauge fitted.

Richard...

I would agree with you.I shall keep to my 11kg bottle at £14 exchange a lot more straight forward.:thumb:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp

Richard...

Anyone who's a bit strapped for payload would appreciate a difference of 9kg. That's got to be about the weight of half a case of wine.:wine: :roflmto::thumb:

S

stagman

Deleted User
Anyone who's a bit strapped for payload would appreciate a difference of 9kg. That's got to be about the weight of half a case of wine.:wine: :roflmto::thumb:

Now that makes sense,:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well, I said I'd stick to the old bottles but I had to buy a Lite bottle last week.

We were at CC Baltic Wharf in Bristol which is only a small site with, consequently, a small gas cage. They simply don't have room to carry stocks of both and the warden explained that there is a big demand for the new bottles so they have to stock them in preference.

It didn't seem all that much lighter carrying it back to the van but it was certainly easier to lift into the gas locker and position it.

Graham

F

fjmike

Deleted User
Whilst replacing my standard bottle last week at a Calor depot, I asked the guy what was happening with the gauges. He said that Calor now had a reliable source of gauges and were fitting them as the lite bottles came in to be refilled, the only problem was as he saw it was that nobody wanted the lite cylinders unless they had a gauge on so they were not turning over very many cylinders so not many were getting gauges

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back