Terence

Free Member
Jun 27, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Having just turned 71. I am finding it difficult to obtaining travel insurance for less that £370.00.for a 90 day period in Europe. My wife is 70 has no medical problems and does not take medication. My sin is a colestrol of 4.4 so take a statin tablet each day.
How do people 70 plus over come this problem ?

Terence

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Just remember that in France you still have to pay 20% of the medical costs even with a card. Excellent health service though. BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
I among other thing have a pacemaker, suffer with asthma and have high blood pressure etc., for the past five years I have always used the Caravan Club's Red Pennant. For our 2012 to 2013 cover I paid £326.20 which covered car/caravan and personal for two people. I amended it in the June to cover our present motorhome at no extra cost or admin fee.

Sunty

Free Member
Dec 10, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Swift Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2002
Luckily, we have an HSBC Goldcard which includes full insurance, including medical, at no cost. It covers world-wide and does not have an age restriction. The card costs £100 per year but that cost can be redeemed by using the points which are accumulated when using it. We use it exclusively! We have used it in the past and received excellent medical serives in Spain - all free. Also used it when the camper was broken into in France and again, no problems with the claim. The most recent HSBC card seems to be the Platinum - but this does have an age limit of 70. Sunty.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Oh dear the benefits and drawbacks of getting old

Free Bus Pass:thumb:
Heating allowance:thumb:
Free TV licence:thumb:
Blue Badge:thumb:
Just look at nice females:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Fond memories

Peter

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
I among other thing have a pacemaker, suffer with asthma and have high blood pressure etc., for the past five years I have always used the Caravan Club's Red Pennant. For our 2012 to 2013 cover I paid £326.20 which covered car/caravan and personal for two people. I amended it in the June to cover our present motor home at no extra cost or admin fee.

Terry, that's very interesting, do you have both vehicles and your travel insurance on one policy?

What is the maximum period of travel you are covered for, 30 days, 60 days etc. in Europe?

Thanks in anticipation:thumb:

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
Terry, that's very interesting, do you have both vehicles and your travel insurance on one policy?

What is the maximum period of travel you are covered for, 30 days, 60 days etc. in Europe?

Thanks in anticipation:thumb:
I
The initial cover was for our 4x4 and a caravan plus personal, and was called Annual Multi Trip for Motoring and Personal and gave us a maximum of 66 days on any trip in a 12 month period.
If you go on the Caravan Club's web site and follow the links for overseas travel you will find everything that you want to know.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Luckily, we have an HSBC Goldcard which includes full insurance, including medical, at no cost. It covers world-wide and does not have an age restriction. The card costs £100 per year but that cost can be redeemed by using the points which are accumulated when using it. We use it exclusively! We have used it in the past and received excellent medical serives in Spain - all free. Also used it when the camper was broken into in France and again, no problems with the claim. The most recent HSBC card seems to be the Platinum - but this does have an age limit of 70. Sunty.

This type of cover is Ok if you have no premedical conditions.

I have very mild angina and LloydsTSB have just refused to continue my cover - Bye bye Lloyds.

I use have a 45 day annual world wide cover with AgeUK

OP
OP
T

Terence

Free Member
Jun 27, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
A big thank you to all who made suggestions in an attempt to resolve the problem of medical insurance for us Oldies
The best quote I was able to obtain was £276.00 the worst £649.00 for an annual multi holiday policy with a max stay of 60 days. The prices were obtained from internet comparison sites.
A friend pointed me in the direction of Liverpool Victoria Insurance where I got the following deal:-
Annual multi holiday policy for two of us with maximium 90 stay and declared pre medical conditions for £159.00. The moral of the story is price comparison sites leave much to be desired.

Terence

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Terence don't know if this will help you, we have a bank account with RBS called royalties gold we pay just under £13 a month for this but it does come with benefits like travel insurance. We are only in our forties so its included at that price, my parents though are ages with you and my mum suffers a few illnesses none live threaten though mainly joint and back problems and my dad has a couple of minor medical issues. Like you they found it very expensive for insurance so tried RBS and with all their conditions they had to pay an extra £30 or £40 per year, this made it cheaper than insurance and they get free break down cove from car also cheaper tickets for travel including farries. It might be worth going and asking them as they told my dad before he signed up for account.

Hope this helps
Gerry

OP
OP
T

Terence

Free Member
Jun 27, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
)ver 70 medical insurance

Garry,
Thanks for you imput. We had both our Business and Personel bank accounts and credit cards with RBS for 30 years. Our credit card was paid off each month by Direct debt and we never incured a charge. Not with standing an amount of over £45,000.00 on deposit they refused to up my credit card from £2700.00 to £5000.00 when I really required it. Needless to say they got the old heave oh very quickly. Like all stupid banks and big business they spent millions on advertizing PR etc and fail to look after there established credit worthy customers.

Terence

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back